Spinoff KMart thread: Cold cuts

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
I worked in a deli for a few years and always found it interesting what people buy.

Along with the always-popular roast beef, ham and turkey, you have the liverworst, tongue, pickle and pimento, or olive loaf (or cooked salami) type people, too.

And then there's the cheese... LOTS of people buy a ton of white American cheese! Like, stacks of it, lol. Provolone is popular, too, but less so Swiss and other types of cheese (other than some sold in the dairy section like Mozzarella).

So, what do you typically order when you visit the deli?

I can't remember the last time I went to a deli. Too many things with too much salt there. For a time, (probably 25 years ago) we WERE buying a thick slick of low salt ham at the deli, because it was the only place that we could get reduced salt ham.

It depends what deli we are visiting, as different delis carry different brands and we prefer some brands over others. We prefer going to a deli for our lunch meat, as opposed to say, picking up a package of lunch meat at Costco, because we can select the thickness we want and everyone in my family prefers their meats and cheeses for sandwiches thinly sliced. Most of our cheeses (chub of cheddar, Parmesan, etc.) come from Costco, but we do grab the odd stack of cheese from the deli if it is more convenient.

My son always wants Dietz & Watson pastrami for his lunches. My husband prefers black forest ham, or, to switch things up, roast beef/London broil. Our go-to cheese is usually Finlandia Swiss, but the odd time we will grab provolone as well. I don't think I have ever purchased American cheese at a deli. I haven't even bought cheese slices for grilled cheese sandwiches in likely 20 years. We always use cheddar or some combination of cheeses with cheddar on our grilled cheese sandwiches.

I rarely eat deli meat, but when I do pick up a small amount for myself, it is always rosemary ham. I love that stuff!

I rarely visit the deli counter. If I do it's because I'm looking to purchase brown sugar ham slices for my lunch and would prefer that over the packaged option. Usually I grab what they have already sliced and packaged, but two weeks ago I did have to ask for some to be sliced. I have never bought sliced American cheese from a deli counter. Our family stopped buying it about 7 years ago. We've only purchased it a few times and usually for a scout function. Real cheese all the way these days for our grilled cheese sandwiches and such.

Growing up my family would stop by the deli counter about once a month at Nob Hill Foods to purchase cold cuts for sandwich night. Cold cuts and fancy bread. I'm not a big sandwich person, but it was a treat.

We have lots of delis here in addition to supermarket delis. My go to is turkey, ham, roast beef, pepperoni, prosciutto, American, Swiss, provolone. There are a bunch of different brands.

It depends what deli we are visiting, as different delis carry different brands and we prefer some brands over others.
Good point. For me it also depends where I'm shopping and even what type of bread or rolls we have. I love a good bulky roll - Piantedosi is my go-to choice around here, but you can't find them everywhere. If I can run in somewhere they sell them quickly, it might influence what I buy.

I generally like the store baked turkey and ham, and once in a while roast beef if it's not too rare (which is rare, lol). I always buy provolone (the "stinky cheese"), and once in a while, American or Swiss. I like to take a sandwich to work sometimes because it's quick and easy, and the kids will often throw together a sandwich to take to school or work. It seems I throw a lot out, though, so I don't buy much. (DD is actually more likely to make herself a fluffernutter, which always gets a lot of drools wherever she is.)

Muenster cheese, sliced thin. I live on that stuff and don't like any of the packaged brands. Oddly enough, I like the brand Walmart deli stocks the best. Our store's deli is often horribly staffed, but it's the only place I can get it and it's my main food group.

Mostly italian deli cuts for recipes and for straight up eating: sopressata, mortadella, capocolla, prosciutto - if I don't go to a deli counter I can't get the amount I need usually.
Luckily i'm in the North East so my go to is Wegmans - and they have a great deli selection.

(DD is actually more likely to make herself a fluffernutter, which always gets a lot of drools wherever she is.

That is one thing that I have not been able to get on board with. I had never heard of a fluffernutter sandwich until we moved to the northeast. I remember reading a food bank list one time and one of the main needs that was listed was marshmallow Fluff and I could not figure out why that would be an essential item, until I found out how popular fluffernutters are here. (I admit, I have never tried one, as I can't stand peanut butter. Maybe they are one of those things that taste better than they sound.)

Editing to add: The other thing that drove home their popularity to me was the fact that I always go to the baking aisle to find my marshmallow Fluff to make Christmas fudge, but not here. I need to go down the aisle that has the peanut butter and jelly.

That is one thing that I have not been able to get on board with. I had never heard of a fluffernutter sandwich until we moved to the northeast. I remember reading a food bank list one time and one of the main needs that was listed was marshmallow Fluff and I could not figure out why that would be an essential item, until I found out how popular fluffernutters are here. (I admit, I have never tried one, as I can't stand peanut butter. Maybe they are one of those things that taste better than they sound.)

Editing to add: The other thing that drove home their popularity to me was the fact that I always go to the baking aisle to find my marshmallow Fluff to make Christmas fudge, but not here. I need to go down the aisle that has the peanut butter and jelly.
LOL, yes, not liking peanut butter would be a major hindrance to liking a fluffernutter! And maybe your not growing up here. When I was growing up, along with PBJ it was a staple because it didn't need refrigeration like some sandwiches did. (Lookin at you, tuna fish!) Naturally today, many try not to overindulge because, well, it's pure sugar. But as an occasional thing, it's fun. I don't buy it too often but if DD is with me, I usually spot it in the cart at checkout or on the counter when we get home. :rotfl:

Rare, thin sliced london broil is our treat from the deli counter. I do on occasion also buy prosciutto.

I get my kids lunch meat there - salami, turkey, shaved ham. Cheese, eh. I prefer high end, "fancy" cheese from the cheese counter...

I rarely eat deli items, and when I do I will only get Boars Head here as I don't like the other options sold around me, I mostly get Swiss cheese, sometimes sharp cheddar if I am melting it on something and too lazy to shred the Tillamook. I like the tavern ham if I am making a Cuban sandwich or some other type of panini. Occasionally, I will really just want a deli meat turkey sandwich on a roll so I will buy one of the interesting sounding turkey flavors.

I know american cheese is popular, my mom buys mass quantities from the deli, but that's the easiest thing to give my dog his seizure pill in, so I have a bit of a mental block from eating it, plus I like the more sharp flavors of other cheeses.

Currently my favorites are peppered ham, honey turkey breast, and Swiss cheese. Maybe once a month I'll get roast beef if it's nice and rare.

My tastes have changed over the years I used to like cooked salami, P&P loaf, liverwurst, etc., but won't eat them anymore

Once in a while I buy cold cuts for an Italian sandwich. DS especially loves them. Mortadella, hard salami, and I just use regular ham, with provolone, and a little brown mustard on a bulky roll. Yum

My deli staples are
Virginia ham (only from BJ's)
pepper turkey
pepper jack
and sometimes bologna :sick:

We have a local market that has a great deli and cheese counter that I go to when I need something better or for a recipe.

My deli staples are
Virginia ham (only from BJ's)
pepper turkey
pepper jack
and sometimes bologna :sick:

We have a local market that has a great deli and cheese counter that I go to when I need something better or for a recipe.
I forgot about pepper jack. I buy that for when we make turkey burgers, it gives them a little more flavor and bite.

ETA do you ever fry the bologna? I haven't had that in a long time, but my mother used to make it when I was little.

The only thing I remember my dad ever cooking for me was fried bologna and peanut butter sandwiches. I know, I know, sounds weird. But it's soooo good! Definitely have to use bologna from the deli!

To be honest, because I like most everything it depends on my mood on what I will buy. But one thing I will never buy at a deli counter is American cheese. There are so many others I prefer.

I forgot about pepper jack. I buy that for when we make turkey burgers, it gives them a little more flavor and bite.

ETA do you ever fry the bologna? I haven't had that in a long time, but my mother used to make it when I was little.

I have never fried itm didn't know you could do that :laughing:
I used to eat it as a kid but haven't had it in years.
Dh and my ds's still like it so I have it for them.

We use pepper jack for everything. I used to buy swiss, american and provolone because we all like different cheeses but I was throwing stuff out because we weren't eating it.
I decided to change things up and just get pepper jack once and since everyone likes it, it has become the only deli sliced cheese I buy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter