Spinoff... What touristy things did YOU do this summer

BTW, on our visit to Cologne Cathedral, this guy just comes walking by. Can you name him?

19275013_10209610719608423_8822755271569755356_n_zpsm3i0gaz6.jpg

It's fun doing tourist-y stuff with a little one - even if he won't remember it (yet)! So far, we went to the Connecticut Science Center to meet Daniel Tiger, then a short visit to Old Sturbridge Village (my visiting uncle couldn't take the heat and humidity) and took a cruise on the Cross Sound Ferry to look at the lighthouses.

This coming Friday, DS's 2nd birthday, we're going to Foxborough/Gillette Stadium/Patriot Place. On Saturday, we have our annual John Williams Film Night concert at Tanglewood (we go with DH's whole family). We're hoping to find time to visit the Lupa Zoo in Ludlow, MA. Then maybe we can rest before the autumn festivities begin ;)

Went for 2 nights to Jekyll Island with my honey and our puppy for anniversary: view from room
g-9kH7MqR0eU_Z_yfLqhcZYRLJdMzqKD6ubiwEte0fbE8vfJ-7YFZ1QbnYzJE9GXEyitdcQJhh_46lXBTWFv9AV1sFbwkxN3N02pQhsazCZJPqo19QT7sGosbDmbvLqwhXFuPvpANF8X_7GEVMEpC9W-Kan6raJ7g9lTTeZtJQ_QiZzyEgEmmZ6920JfQO8BfFPEJlG0PvJFCP6NHeUzWcjS_NrV-CuwLV5yP2qR6gGFawfK4ARxiZj49GeU1mAP_bNOjA4n_3M6MVjREURw_fDTumhhU88ZmohE-qbAeRHEZuUFS-q2Qmw0QZltBJGJQtuI6nDVJk00FaklkKjtapsIpTcN7MbD4Pj8nuQbH1bJK3PLDUCTOsKpPC9QvfLrr9GE4x64y6MP2HX8IxqwILsXX1gq-KQZMDOazCDmq12xoKPIpSUJcgXRkONy2ra1y2uEF_tJUZavTUwjwwuw1fZ-fjxdFVPRtMHl-EJ0iIwiXwzxas9vAvk59PrkYXcvE2dOPsFs9KPDoZuh1cAk70E9JJn82JLYe2jBWvg2RJOw-DWNqxzDuObDI33e5fen2eEbCdSHZS6CJ6q_mJZQl6ZpFrkKG5FLSNnxSKeYBuHWXu3SdHp1=w1134-h638-no

Spoiled rotten puppy in the process of tearing up new toy:
VaYgDa_4H3rr3k7s5URZj7Wx0w5nRyxIHY6zCPljO1_bszKByI-jJwvOgE19lN5-Drhb6eiyKZZxBOjdP54Bd2UiNXnjiOprQhOAQ7XkXFxgWLWSXHsbx2eIgoSlcgCYdQOQLLISnUQ97-nM1fSmKwcVoACpbM_OtsW2Z0g0ZeO6ELCPEIYT909ZPwZW9oasIrIXo_EUTHygED9YuM9wVjFkJQbFilCFVDDVUHznqTe4TGL7dq4dc8IzcUAE_u0xhOnL30RRTENsc8UOSKglkmZpX6j22a6jXYew_rCE7hUDDlZJtlVeUjB39etjEekKiBS5cKkYl1Fkusto0B2oWd1ZcbUsAn7mFLfQzE-JKaEwpdYyb5m_3e8tdRRZTfqDRuV6lZZVlTBewbTMHQseGUxXQnMNg-DqpSjba5EMpdycn68IKxFwLfBx2DGt_6DJ_Jfj4yPxmE9_I6nartEaLbxpSVq-1m-pGV87PqZmYjeohQotluHo6yimhGNDo6rqRpD3-OzINSzd18Y27IX-w-iGGoeSgN7I_wAQSyqCHJPxsUmY4-8UkTwCBUmUjTfHz9Knyz6lgCLvy-XTCq0P2eXsn4bDA6aR8SPey1Si8-yE-nTStGMy=w1135-h638-k-no

Went to WDW for a week with my son: clock in Germany at noon
GIAALORgZ8zd3TJChBXLLgpp6puqmYFi2o80JGYznNgQ_aQpAkkdmelWn4QnA_uFdfoipugg36gMDma6QbjrfKCyVmOaKB0KJdt1-UGvQ71hxh4GM5FrB7hxv91Gwp5u84vyBZJpE-T3hVtJrTVUXjRqZZzfftDHDioZZ_bHWnJOt6yQb12EFPTMQFQwdurEtRQmeBxptCcV43ADbaTRTdI0pEQR2nFO7YM1_gHxWxbosPytbK96cKxA09gQxG3Ph0r3xFypHI5BhfMqdNVjjOnxuBt_0AyYJdUSZVzsGpXNUBZlEZDS6uoDHk7bFLd-7zcu3p6s5CBVDrh6L_n2MEDsWMDFenN33IBy3PNg-a3rCjB0KWGlgNbHc1Q4dFGpxCrx37ol8YDQf44IX_thhkWceBPFr_Dyoj-AKZYcaGNdAq_1wgaooDA9f18HDrt5dgn-_7LwgMvkq191VLoDmdRZy1n3puZprTsb2Zs_lAxaIR2E7-CBF7nrgIiD5hgsozXiEPV1ZeqX5JicSSw3U9VAve1uWbaOAsy27GSvkEbnAQLOzI6O1j3vpNo5U-OT3d3h_VFnDoFgfsaNuU6mMTW7vLzAs2UJ7Lk7_-fkp2pI-8z5l053=w479-h638-no

Star Tours:
QV4kDl2Br3iUe8opvCqqTSZOre2QKZTFnJr6ivx0jFtaI6D2DHD1KtvKsHmlOslCex3S8mpPnPTyhOS-7tqDHpxphqR_pUn4EodNzRJGJDNVhV92F_RRhzDvSL7VY91DiEtMzIFH29AdNyvaK1d6Hy1vbjW3hefsWCsfx_FoQ3LHgoRZkZzKw1vNfAajqp80y8fzNggyErJiZ0mfkYsruGmVDry6eWiyw9o2Pb4q7Mt1K6E4SGJ8FKQ-Z9Ojji7U-vLlYpZ1h2h2Nf-HwZWkcQFx2AVk1x23R7-vS8R-_Jdo60UVtjJN_XEOe-kVsXrBkS5RO3WFmvok7kt4R9FL1WePhHFm5_rJHaFp55n17ndZChvAmOB4LF35Z8tnfDRJXyqKP6OZ4C3FjZ3uHFsMkDScrRQeFJqH6v4hyY8an0_zzIOf5dl0nM3nGZUFWGSWxhihIo-_JYpgJdOw2xqHdhiOaJksof6K7l7bOuDzt4WO13_Mrxi9QQdk4IUBYzvQUZrysyq2QREPh9qDmtmVemI0ZGv6LlBqE1jl2B8VpZDBFoJ5iwVQiCuylWzFNnxtyZV8MwWTuTzZ8RCyfQHjVjPK5ASDUTaXE43MkhfXmDrEfEHWtuXt=w479-h638-no

Since Summer began the only thing was a weekend in St. Ignace. We attempted to break the Guinness World Record for longest parade of MINI Coopers. We crossed the Mackinac Bridge, went down to Seashell City then turned around and went back. It was a 15 mile long line of MINIs! Final tally was 1328 cars, just 123 short of breaking the record.

In June, Disneyland and then Warner Bros Studio Tour and Hollywood Bld in LA.

Local here in Dublin Ive been to Kilmainham Jail and EPIC Ireland, an interactive museum about Irish people and their migration around the world over the last 300 years. Next weekend I am going to Glasnevin Cemetery Historical tour.

I love doing local touristy stuff in whatever country / city I live in :)

Went to the opening of the Jim Henson exhibit at the Museum of Moving Image in Queens NY.

Went to HersheyPark...without the kids! Not exactly the plan but DS17 couldn't go and ds16 didn't want to go without his partner in crime. We said screw it, it's already booked... we might as well go anyway...even though I never would have booked that for an adults only getaway! We stayed at the Lodge and had a great time. Roller coasters by day and great meals at night! Had a blast!!!!

My sister & the two girls we grew up with all took the ferry to San Francisco. We ate at a nice Fisherman's Wharf restaurant, rode a cable car - had a lot of fun!

Memorial weekend, DH & I were in North Carolina & we took a boat tour of Lake Norman.

Up next: Disneyland!

All in Central Florida:
-Made our own pancakes at a restaurant that was once a 19th century sugar mill
-Took a boat tour down a river
-Went to King's Bowl on International Drive. Actually pretty fun (but expensive!)
-Braved the crowds at the Florida Mall

For an Orlandoan, I've had a pretty trap-free summer. I haven't been to any of the theme parks this summer- it's just way too hot.

In June, DD and I spent 5 nights in New Orleans. Did a lot of eating, almost as much drinking, and drove out to see the bayou.

In July, DH and I spent 6 nights in Washington, DC. We toured the Capitol, watched the Senate vote, toured the Smithsonian Air/Space museum, Holocaust Museum, Smithsonian Art Museum, Smithsonian African American Museum, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, walked the Mall, and the following Memorials: Jefferson, Lincoln, MLK, FDR, WWII, Iwo Jima, Korean War, Viet Nam War. Ate good food and drank good drinks. We left DC for Orlando, where we spent 2 nights at Disney's AKL for my birthday in a savanna view room. Relaxed at the pool and pool bar, visited Disney Springs, ate at Boma and California Grill. We then went out to Cocoa Beach for 2 nights to visit one of DH's oldest friends.

In August, DH and I spent one night in Portsmouth, NH, where a play our nephew wrote was being produced. The day after we saw the play, DH had to go home but I stayed in York Beach, ME, visiting with my siblings and their kids. We spent several days at the beach, went to MA to have lunch with my cousins, did some hiking, etc. All in all basically a "hang with the family" week, but it was fun.

School doesn't start for 2.5 weeks... where can I go next?

Yup, that's Joe Perry! :goodvibes We always saw the Aerosmith guys around where we live, but to see him in another country? Pretty cool!

Right? It was so weird. First, you're in this public square where they have all this confluence of history--you're looking at a cathedral that's several hundred years old, you're looking at Roman ruins that are even older than that. Then you have multiple street performers in the square--there was a guy playing bagpipes, somebody playing violin, etc. So this guy comes walking by with a guitar and I thought "Oh, it's another street performer who's finished and heading out." Then I noticed he has a big guy there with him probably acting as a bodyguard, and a photographer's following him, so I took another look and, sure enough! Joe Perry! Weird, but with everything else that we were seeing, somehow not weird, too.

Apparently Aerosmith was playing a concert that night at the performance hall just a 3-5 minutes walk from there, so I guess he was there to check out the cathedral, like the rest of us were. What he was doing with the guitar, I have no idea, unless he just walks around with a guitar, which is entirely possible, I guess.

So far this summer just Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and Ocean City, Maryland.

Two weeks from today we plan to be at the Minnesota State Fair. Will probably also visit Mall of America, perhaps Valleyfair theme park. Twins baseball team won't be at home, however.

In October, California. Santa Cruz Boardwalk, visit DD at college, then go to L.A.

This is honestly one of my more touristy summers:

Visited the Nationals Zoo and some other Smithsonian museums

Went to Six Flags America

Went to the Preakness and the Belmont

Went sightseeing in New York City while there for the Belmont

Went to the Deleware Handicap

Went to Saratoga

And to top it off I'm driving up to Casper, Wyoming on Sunday for two nights stay to watch the solar eclipse.

This list would be longer if the summer weather had cooperated more. I don't have the best heat/humidity tolerance so I had to scrap a lot of local plans at the last minute. Heck I was going to go to Kings Dominion tomorrow but weather forecast has it saying it will fee like it's 107. And yeah nope not going out in that.

This is the first year we haven't been to the UP of MI, on the southern shore of Lake Superior. We're going to Scotland in October, so we didn't have the time/money to go to the UP.

But we've been doing some smaller things around town -- went to Ravinia (an outdoor concert venue) twice, saw the Chicago Symphony play the background music while Jaws played, and on Saturday we have tickets to a concert in Grant Park. Also went to a number of my DD's drum & bugle corps shows, caught a White Sox game, and went to the Art Institute on free Thursday.

We spent 2 days in Whistler. Although I have been there several times, this was the first time I went up on the mountain. We did the Peak 2 Peak gondola which was wonderful. On our way up to Whistler, we went to the mining museum. Last week, my daughters and I went downtown to the Vancouver Art Gallery and saw the Monet exhibit.

We are heading to Vancouver Island for another 2 nights right before the long weekend. Also want to do a few more things locally.

Well went on an ABD Danube River Cruise and did touristy things in each country we visited....so did thousands of other people!!! We visited castles and palaces and churches, took cheesy photos with a pretzel in Germany and just yesterday took a selfi with a T-Rex in New Jersey!!! Had a great time doing all the touristy things.

Pretzel.JPG T-Rex.JPG

Heading to Wildwood, NJ next week to do touristy beach and boardwalk things. Later in the month going to Lisbon and Barcelona to do more European touristy stuff and then the ultimate touristy trip....taking another Disney Cruise from NYC to the Bahamas with a stop at WDW!!! You know I will be taking a touristy pic with the big cheese himself. Woohoo!!!! Bring on the tourists!!

MJ

Last edited:
My husband and I took our first trip back east this summer for 25th wedding anniversary. In Boston we had to visit Cheers bar(and get a t-shirt). We rode the swan boats as well and took a tour of Fenway Park. In Newport, RI, we toured The Breakers. We then drove to Mystic Ct to eat at Mystic Pizza- yes, got a t-shirt! While on Cape Cod, we thought about visiting the Cape Cod Chip Factory, but it's closed on Sundays. I'd say that is the definition of a tourist trap.

Wasaga Beach, Ontario (Largest Fresh Water Beach in the World!) Mini Vacation

Ripley's Aquarium, Toronto, Ontario

Port Dover, Ontario A Beach Day

Niagara Falls, Ontario (2nd Mini Vacation) Tomorrow, Weds. & Thurs. Woo! Hoo!

Edited to add: CNTower in Toronto, with db, and dsil visiting us from Vancouver area to Ontario the last week of August! :)

Pictures in the thread: Another Day In Oklahoma. (sp?)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter