Spirit check in at MCO - Update 12/24 post 17

Miskey

DIS Veteran
Considering flying Spirit on an upcoming early December trip. I've always enjoyed being able to check in at the resort and them taking your bags for you, and know I will lose that convenince. Does anyone have fairly recent experience with the Spirit counter at MCO they would be so kind to share?

Me no, but my sister and sister in law both went home on spirit last week. If there were issues I would have know cause my sister is a giant pain is the butt when it comes to bad customer service. I was with them but had to go to work the next day and flew into philly and I prefer south west when going to PHL.

If I was going home I would have flown with them into Atlantic City. That is my home airport, it’s approximately 30 minutes door to door. Over the years, 25+ we have 100’s of segments with spirit and have had very few issues. They have their warts but I’m a very satisfied spirit customer. The legacy airlines have gotten me to my destination 25 and 30 hours after my original target on a few occasions, in fact percentage wise, the legacies have had more delays for me personally then spirit has.

We've been flying between our small regional airport and MCO on Spirit 1-2 times a year for the past 4 years. (You can't beat 30 minutes to the airport and FREE parking!) I've never had a bad bag check-in experience at MCO with Spirit. It's always been fairly quick and efficient. We were last there in Feb. of this year and will be back in early November. Are there any specific questions you have?

Heard nothing but BAD things about spirit that would literally be the LAST airline I would choose EVER.
Relatives have flown it from ACY - MCO couple times and they both said NEVER again.

I hear Frontier is a tad better as far as budget airlines go.

Dont know what market your in but for me I fly Southwest or American. Can catch great fares on Southwest (sometimes) even cheaper then spirit or frontier , allegiant etc.

We've been flying between our small regional airport and MCO on Spirit 1-2 times a year for the past 4 years. (You can't beat 30 minutes to the airport and FREE parking!) I've never had a bad bag check-in experience at MCO with Spirit. It's always been fairly quick and efficient. We were last there in Feb. of this year and will be back in early November. Are there any specific questions you have?

My specific concern was just the bag check and if their counter was going to be an issue. Glad to hear you've had positive experiences. Thanks so much!

Heard nothing but BAD things about spirit that would literally be the LAST airline I would choose EVER.
Relatives have flown it from ACY - MCO couple times and they both said NEVER again.

I hear Frontier is a tad better as far as budget airlines go.

Dont know what market your in but for me I fly Southwest or American. Can catch great fares on Southwest (sometimes) even cheaper then spirit or frontier , allegiant etc.

I've been looking at airports from Lafayette, LA to Houston. Spirit, even with adding luggage is a third of what I've been able to find on the other airlines. I've previously used Southwest and United, but the Spirit savings is looking too good to pass up

Same here, they are ALWAYS on the news where we live with angry customers who had a flight cancelled with no easy way to get home. Will never fly with them. Checking your bags isn't the problem. Their problem as a small airline is they don't have extra planes and for many cities only fly a few times each week. If a plane has a mechanical issue, they are no spares available and the next flight may be several DAYS. Maybe the base ticket is a few dollars cheaper, but also make sure to add in all of the 'extras' they charge and the uncertainty of being able to travel on time.

I have flown Spirit between DTW and MCO ar least for times over the past year and had zero issues. The only time I had a problem was my own fault. I got to the airport after the bag cutoff time and they refused to accept my luggage. That was not their fault but be aware they stick to that 45 minutes. The bag check has always been very efficient at MCO.

I have flown Spirit between DTW and MCO ar least for times over the past year and had zero issues. The only time I had a problem was my own fault. I got to the airport after the bag cutoff time and they refused to accept my luggage. That was not their fault but be aware they stick to that 45 minutes. The bag check has always been very efficient at MCO.

I am SO glad to hear this, we'll be flying on 25th to MCO from DTW. This is our first time flying Spirit.
My friend used Spirit several times from DTW to MCO as well, and they never had any issues. Hopefully we'll be OK too.

The first and only time my NJ friend used Spirit on a trip to DW, we were half hour away from checkout when she got a txt that said your flight is cancelled. No helpful suggestions like rebook on this or that flight, just, your flight is cancelled. I had to calm her down while booking a flight back home for her on Delta. Never again for Spirit.

If everything goes well then folks love Spirit, but... if there's ANY type of problem you discover the former CEO meant it when he said "we don't do customer service" (and that mentality has not changed)

You have to give him points for honesty. But really? Bragging about treating the customer poorly? They must hire ex time share sales people.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble about Spirit but we returned with them on October 15, 2018 from MCO to BDL and have firmly resolved to NEVER fly with them again! Our flight was to leave at 4:15 pm and we finally got off the ground at 7:17 pm. In addition to what is an ever-increasing timeliness problem (we've since heard that their "on-Time" departure problems/occurrences are the norm, along with scattered cancellations, not the exception), we found that only in fine print (if you really search their site for it) checked-in bags over 40 lbs. will be charged as "Excess/Overweight" baggage. That's correct, "OVER 40 lbs." Our suitcases were 43.5 lbs. and 47.0 lbs. and we had to pay an additional $30. each for their 'singular' exception to the 50 lbs. rule that all of the other air carriers go by with checked-in luggage.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble about Spirit but we returned with them on October 15, 2018 from MCO to BDL and have firmly resolved to NEVER fly with them again! Our flight was to leave at 4:15 pm and we finally got off the ground at 7:17 pm. In addition to what is an ever-increasing timeliness problem (we've since heard that their "on-Time" departure problems/occurrences are the norm, along with scattered cancellations, not the exception), we found that only in fine print (if you really search their site for it) checked-in bags over 40 lbs. will be charged as "Excess/Overweight" baggage. That's correct, "OVER 40 lbs." Our suitcases were 43.5 lbs. and 47.0 lbs. and we had to pay an additional $30. each for their 'singular' exception to the 50 lbs. rule that all of the other air carriers go by with checked-in luggage.

Never flying with them because you took off 3 hours late? Oh boy, if I followed that logic I’d have run out of air lines years ago. They all deal with weather and other issues. I’m not dropping a carrier till they exceed the 24 hour mark and then have to asked for compensation..

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and to let you know that we did choose Spirit and had a great experience. We went ahead and booked the frills package when we bought the tickets, which allowed us a checked 50 pound bag, a carryon, choosing our seat (that exit row is great!), and first boarding. Even with the frills package, we still saved over $150 each. The employees at both airports and on both planes couldn't have been nicer.

Spirit will definitely be an option for me in the future.

My wife and I fly Spirit every year since 2009. Never had a problem. Thanks to the girl at the Spirit counter who warned my wife about have the perfume in her carryon which was just above the allowed amount. We quickly transfered it to the luggage and had no problems. The counter staff are alway extremely friendly. Our last trip was this past February and we fly again in 61 days.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and to let you know that we did choose Spirit and had a great experience. We went ahead and booked the frills package when we bought the tickets, which allowed us a checked 50 pound bag, a carryon, choosing our seat (that exit row is great!), and first boarding. Even with the frills package, we still saved over $150 each. The employees at both airports and on both planes couldn't have been nicer.

If you can get the “Big Front Seat” it’s even better!

I'm so glad to read about your experience. I just booked our trip for April vacation and the prices where just too good to pass up (couldn't afford to fly with the other airlines prices). We got round trip BOS to MCO non stop for $200. I did add one checked bag each for me and DH, we pack super light so we will have plenty of room. We didn't pick seats but I added to our reservation that DH will be using his portable oxygen concentrator so they have to put him in a window seat. Kids are older teenagers so not worried about have to sit with them for such a short flight.

Thanks for posting your experience, feeling less stressed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!