Splash mountain

Meh. I won't defend Song of the South and have written on here in the past that I think its perfectly fine for Disney to keep it in the vault forever. Nevertheless, I think the actual theming on this ride is fine. And even if it were to change, no great loss. I enjoy some of the theming moments, but mostly I love SM for the drops. That won't change with a new theme

I have always felt that Disney could really do something good by doing a new animated project using the tales and stories for Br'er Rabbit but in an updated way. They could even call the project Splash Mountain, and use the tales as the basis for something new, like the way Tangled subverts the original fairy tale. I think that could be fun.

I don't think they need to change the ride since the characters are all animals and don't really have a race, though I do know where the stories come from.

Last edited:
Really getting tired of Disney kowtowing to every special interest group out there when it's fashionable. Me Too hits, and suddenly Disney adopts a "girls count too" philosophy and now we can't see a Star Wars or Marvel film without an unnecessary amount of gratuitous female characters, be it lead, secondary or tertiary. Watch "The Last Jedi" or the final battle scene of "End Game". And that revised auction scene of the Pirates ride? Really?????

Now society wants Disney to re-theme a beloved attraction because of the racial overtones of a film that pretty much no one over the age of 50 has seen?? I've never ridden the ride (not a fan of drops) so I don't know if the Tar Baby was ever featured but if it had been I'm sure it has long since been removed, much the way they've gone and changed the story on the WDW Railroad. Awww, look at those peaceful Indians. Good thing there was never a point in history when there was dis-settlement between the races.

Only a matter of time before a re-re-re-release of Star Wars, this time featuring an all-white Darth Vader.

Last edited:
I have always felt that Disney could really do something good by doing a new animated project using the tales and stories for Br'er Rabbit but in an updated way. They could even call the project Splash Mountain, and use the tales as the basis for something new, like the way Tangled subverts the original fairy tale. I think that could be fun.

I don't think they need to change the ride since the characters are all animals and don't really have a race, though I do know where the stories come from.
Think that'd be cool to have an animated series for them connected to splash Mountain would be a good idea for Disney+. Give the ride it's own separate connection outside of the movie they want to ignore. Heck Universal released a Brer Rabbit movie in 2006, so not even that long ago. As long as they don't connect it to Uncle Remus they should be fine.

My kids grew up loving the Brer Rabbit stories and never saw Song of the South. Brer Rabbit stories originated in African folklore, and are part of African history. They didn’t start with Song of the South. Splash mountain is my favorite ride, partly because of the Brer Rabbit theme. What a fun character Brer Rabbit is.

Really getting tired of Disney kowtowing to every special interest group out there when it's fashionable. Me Too hits, and suddenly Disney adopts a "girls count too" philosophy and now we can't see a Star Wars or Marvel film without an unnecessary amount of gratuitous female characters, be it lead, secondary or tertiary.

1. Women are a 'special interest group?'
2. What would you consider a necessary amount of women characters?
3. A lead character is by definition not gratuitous or unnecessary.

Plus Star Wars has always had one female in the lead three: Leia, Padme, Rey. It's really not a thing at all as far as I'm concerned.

A New Hope had to female characters speak. Empire Strikes Back had two female characters speak. Return of the Jedi had two female characters speak. And then there was The Last Jedi...

A New Hope had to female characters speak. Empire Strikes Back had two female characters speak. Return of the Jedi had two female characters speak. And then there was The Last Jedi...

Thanks for pointing out the problem with female representation so eloquently!

I'll pose another question: how can the Last Jedi have been a response to the MeToo movement as you claim when it came out months before the movement started?

Last edited:
Never understood why they would base a ride on a movie that they're not willing to release on DVD or Blu-ray. I've seen the movie. It's not terrible. I don't see why you couldn't put it out with warnings.

I don't like the idea of erasing stuff people don't like. For example, why did they remove the guns from ET? Or why have they covered up the war flag on the General Lee for Dukes of Hazzard? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'd rather people choose for themselves.

These things provide good discussion topics. If you remove them, then we might stop discussing them. We get closer and closer to dystopias like a Brave New World or 1984,

I don't like the idea of erasing stuff people don't like. For example, why did they remove the guns from ET? Or why have they covered up the war flag on the General Lee for Dukes of Hazzard? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'd rather people choose for themselves.

These things provide good discussion topics. If you remove them, then we might stop discussing them. We get closer and closer to dystopias like a Brave New World or 1984,
1umefq.jpg

Never understood why they would base a ride on a movie that they're not willing to release on DVD or Blu-ray. I've seen the movie. It's not terrible. I don't see why you couldn't put it out with warnings.

When Splash Mountain was made the movie was still being shown regularly. In fact there was a 1986 re-release to hype up Splash Mountain. The movie wasn't taken out of circulation until like 2001 or so. Splash Mountain isn't really the problem though and could easily be worked into a positive if they did as I described above.

So if there are more than two female characters that's unnecessary and gratuitous? Good Lord.
And compared to Marvel comics, the MCU has a serious lack of female characters.

Actually, it would just be better to make a brand new ride for fans of The Princess and the Frog instead of replacing an older one? Remember how angry people got at replacing Mr. Toad and the Country Bears. Also make a brand new Tangled ride, too . They could make them part of EPCOT. They already have Frozen in Norway. Use Tangled for Germany and The Princess and the Frog for America Adventure since it is based on part of the country.

I had a Disney sing-along VHS that included "Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place." I remember being very confused when I was younger, because I recognized every other song and movie/clip in it ("I Love to Laugh" from Mary Poppins, "Ooh-de-Lally" from Robin Hood, "Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo, etc.), but not that one. Still, it was a fun song.

When I got older and finally went to Disney and rode Splash Mountain, I was pretty excited, actually, to recognize the song and theming. Especially as my husband (boyfriend at the time) was like "I've been hearing this song in this ride for years and have no idea what it's from."

It wasn't until SEVERAL MORE years later that I found out it came from Song of the South. The theming is really quite removed from the movie.

While I think Disney can do what they want, and no real loss is incurred if they retheme Splash Mountain, I think it is in some ways silly and a large expense for nothing, and in others... do we really think scrubbing away pieces of this movie changes anything? It doesn't change that it was made. It doesn't change what it represents. In fact, it's kind of in poor taste that we try to shove it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen, because that renders no one accountable and closes the discussion.

When I was younger, I will never forget watching the old Looney Tunes WW2 propaganda cartoons. One had a little yellow gremlin sabotaging planes. I will also never forget my dad explaining to me what this represented (it was a slur for Japanese people) and that it was very wrong. He and my mom did this for numerous things in the old cartoons I watched (the "mammy" characters, the "coon" caricatures, etc.) and it opened a dialogue and taught me how to recognize those things myself and understand why they were wrong.

At the end of the day, kids going to Disney just want to ride a fun ride, and SM probably won't and doesn't need to open a dialogue about Song of the South, so as I said before, it isn't a real loss if they retheme it. But it does make one wonder how long before conversations like those I had with my parents just don't happen at all because it was all erased, and how quickly we forget....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter