Split stay DDP (DVC), what to do with xtra refillable mug?

Jjpenguin2

Living in the real Kilimanjaro Safari
Planning a solo trip for May, as it’s just me I want to stay in all the DVC resorts I haven’t yet stayed in so I have a 10 day/5 resort split stay.

I am thinking of adding the DDP to some of my stays as I am a small eater and spreading them out could probably cover most of my meals.

What can I do with the extra refillable mug(s) Can I pass them on at a discount? I can of course give them away, but this is a fairly tightly budgeted trip,

What do you mean by "spreading them out"? The dining plan does have date restrictions, it is valid from the day you check in until the day you depart. You can't carry over any unused meals. You could just not pickup the additional resort mugs, and you can definitely not resell them to other guests, the first one you buy will be programmed for about 2 weeks. You could take them home to give to others. Have fun exploring all the resorts!

By spreading it out I mean f i have a 2 day stay I can do a QS on day 1, 2 snacks on day 2, and a QS on day 3 as it is valid till end of checkout day.
I will have to crunch numbers again, and can always pay the mug forward and make some pixie dust...

People give refillable mugs away all the time. I've left them in DVC laundry rooms and posted in a FB group for someone to help themself to it. I think selling it is kind of tacky.

People give refillable mugs away all the time. I've left them in DVC laundry rooms and posted in a FB group for someone to help themself to it. I think selling it is kind of tacky.
That's probably what I would then do. I understand your "tacky" comment, but this is a really strictly budgeted trip so every little would help ;)

Planning a solo trip for May, as it’s just me I want to stay in all the DVC resorts I haven’t yet stayed in so I have a 10 day/5 resort split stay.

I am thinking of adding the DDP to some of my stays as I am a small eater and spreading them out could probably cover most of my meals.

What can I do with the extra refillable mug(s) Can I pass them on at a discount? I can of course give them away, but this is a fairly tightly budgeted trip,

That's probably what I would then do. I understand your "tacky" comment, but this is a really strictly budgeted trip so every little would help ;)

I get it and there's nothing wrong with a budget, but in that case you might want to calculate not getting the DDP vs getting it. We never come out ahead with the DDP and it's clearly including things you don't need but are built into the cost, ie...multiple refillable mugs. Have fun :)

I get it and there's nothing wrong with a budget, but in that case you might want to calculate not getting the DDP vs getting it. We never come out ahead with the DDP and it's clearly including things you don't need but are built into the cost, ie...multiple refillable mugs. Have fun :)
Definitely doing the calculations. The only reason I was considering it was because I could do it for only 2 or 3 days which might make sense, especially for the Food & Garden festival and if I treat myself to a few cocktails :)
I think I'll also have to wait and see what will be included for snack credits before making a decision. Luckily I still have a while to think things over.

Not getting the DDP almost always makes sense financially over getting it. It’s really just about prepaying for the convenience of not having to pay while there. You would probably save so much by foregoing it.

I may use DDP Quick Serve this year to keep us from spending $400 a night. We (four adults) decided we would eat mostly QS, but those last minute open reservations really cost a small fortune last year. I think we did an extra five or more dinners for 2K+ ouch!

I think it is about $57 a night per adult and we will eat two sit down meals. Our son and DIL are at EPCOT late into the evening so extra credits will work out as they have in the past.

It doesn't matter to me if it costs us a bit more than paying OOP as in the long run, it will save us from temptation LOL!

Running the numbers for your stay, eating habits and ability to stick with a budget will reveal if it is a waste of money or not! Enjoy your trip!

By spreading it out I mean f i have a 2 day stay I can do a QS on day 1, 2 snacks on day 2, and a QS on day 3 as it is valid till end of checkout day.
I will have to crunch numbers again, and can always pay the mug forward and make some pixie dust...
That's understandable, but you cannot sell the mug, at least not while on Disney property. You can give it away. But remember, you have to purchase the DP for the entire stay (well, in your case not the 10 nights since you have 5 separate reservations), so if you are doing multiple 2N stays, even if you buy the DP only once, it has to be for 2N. So, about $114 for 4 QS meals, 2 snacks, and the mug. Might not be a bad deal. Would make sense if you decide only to buy it one time to do so at the beginning of your trip so you can get the mug and have it for the duration.

Last edited:
That's understandable, but you cannot sell the mug, at least not while on Disney property. You can give it away. But remember, you have to purchase the DP for the entire stay (well, in your case not the 10 nights since you have 5 separate reservations), so if you are doing multiple 2N stays, even if you buy the DP only once, it has to be for 2N. So, about $114 for 4 QS meals, 4 snacks, and the mug. Might not be a bad deal. Would make sense if you decide only to buy it one time to do so at the beginning of your trip so you can get the mug and have it for the duration.
You only get one snack per night now instead of the 2 it used to be. Also I don’t think you can substitute a snack/dessert for the beverage you are allowed at each meal like before. We already had the refillable mugs so always used the additional beverage to get a dessert.

You only get one snack per night now instead of the 2 it used to be. Also I don’t think you can substitute a snack/dessert for the beverage you are allowed at each meal like before. We already had the refillable mugs so always used the additional beverage to get a dessert.
Oops! You are right, one snack per day. I'll correct it. And yes, under the new DP you cannot convert a QS meal for snack credits or substitute. You can't even use one of your meal credits to buy a meal for someone else anymore!

I have found that the only way the dining plan makes sense for me is if I can only get it for the first one or 2 nights of my trip. I am getting the QSDP for one day, Jan 15. $57, and the mug is at least $23. So $34 for 2 quick service meals plus a snack (I am already planning on getting a Mickey caramel apple with that!) is a good deal for me. But even adding just one more night wouldn't make sense. Luckily I am on a different reservation starting the 16th. I am doing something similar in May, as my reservations are 1 night, 3 nights and 4 nights. For that one we are doing the regular dining plan for the first night so we have the mug to use all 8 nights/9 days.

I have found that the only way the dining plan makes sense for me is if I can only get it for the first one or 2 nights of my trip. I am getting the QSDP for one day, Jan 15. $57, and the mug is at least $23. So $34 for 2 quick service meals plus a snack (I am already planning on getting a Mickey caramel apple with that!) is a good deal for me. But even adding just one more night wouldn't make sense. Luckily I am on a different reservation starting the 16th. I am doing something similar in May, as my reservations are 1 night, 3 nights and 4 nights. For that one we are doing the regular dining plan for the first night so we have the mug to use all 8 nights/9 days.
Are the Mickey caramel apples included now? Pre-COVID it was only the plain caramel or candy apples that could be counted as a snack.

Wouldn’t the mug work on her 2 half of the trip. I thought mugs are good thru 14 days. So why 2 mugs. I am confused.

Wouldn’t the mug work on her 2 half of the trip. I thought mugs are good thru 14 days. So why 2 mugs. I am confused.
She has two "sets" of the dining plan since she has two separate reservations with it (the split stay) so she gets two mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter