Split stays with toddlers

abarnes64

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I've posted a few ques also in DVC purchase as we are awaiting our member # post a recent SSR contract.

We'll be going at end of sept into Oct this yr with a 2 and 4 yo and am wondering how crazy we would be to split the stay up at diff resorts? Anyone done this? If so, how easy was it to pack crap up and transfer to new location? We will have carseats for both kids but we have the backpacks to carry those in.

Was thinking in terms of convenience to MK or Epcot would be easiest to be near on rail. But of course would be nice to have a few days in AKL over wknd to relax and stay in resort.

Any thoughts or feedback from other brave but tired parents? Lol

Hi, I've posted a few ques also in DVC purchase as we are awaiting our member # post a recent SSR contract. We'll be going at end of sept into Oct this yr with a 2 and 4 yo and am wondering how crazy we would be to split the stay up at diff resorts? Anyone done this? If so, how easy was it to pack crap up and transfer to new location? We will have carseats for both kids but we have the backpacks to carry those in. Was thinking in terms of convenience to MK or Epcot would be easiest to be near on rail. But of course would be nice to have a few days in AKL over wknd to relax and stay in resort. Any thoughts or feedback from other brave but tired parents? Lol

We have done a few split stays. Bell services can move whatever you want from one resort to the other. The biggest issue is that you are literally homeless for a day. That may be an issue if your toddler needs a quiet, cool room for a midday rest. Our son was always able to catch a nap in the stroller while still in the parks, so it was not a big issue.

Anymore, I will not do a split stay unless each segment is at least 4 days. We have an OL, and it is a pain to unpack and repackage that for just 2-3 days at one resort. We tend to like to unpack at the start of the week and re-pack when we're ready to go.

We have been talked into split stays last year and this summer by the people we host, since they don't get to WDW very much.

Just reading this post makes me NOT want to attempt a split stay! LOL although it is nice that the resorts will transfer bags, etc- MAJOR PERK

Ok well how about has anyone done OKW or SSR with the babies? Like one place better than another? Any tips or advice to pass along? What about walking to DTD from SSR in the eves? Need stroller? Is this a possibility with tired babies?

I did OKW with babies. No elevator with tired kids at the end of the day was TOUGH!! I was the only adult on this trip, though, so I had to grit my teeth and bear it. I'd ask for the first floor, if I ever did this again.

Next trip, spouse is going.... will be easier, I'm sure!

We too have an OL, so I'll be confiscating another box to not jam pack the OL during our next split stay. Glad you mentioned that, Kidanifan08

We did a split-stay back in 2012. We have 4 kids and our youngest were almost 4 and 17mos. We walked away from the experience saying we'd never do a split-stay again but in reality we just won't do one while our kids are little.

Yes, bell services moved everything and that was great. But having to unpack everything, set it all up, live for a few days, pack it all back up, be without a room for a day (we moved to BLT and couldn't get checked in until almost 5pm), unpack everything again and resettle. It felt like we lost a fair amount of time.

But I get the appeal of wanting to be close to Epcot for some time and MK for some time. Makes total sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter