Splitting a challenge..regrets

Raenstoirm

DIS Veteran
I am registered for the dark side challenge, but sustained an injury at my 10 mile race this past weekend. I am still sore. I don't want to defer both races since I am sure I will be able to do the 10k and the trip is already planned. Since disney wont allow me to defer the half, I think I am just going to skip it and eat the registration fee. I can obviously make that choice the day of, but has anyone ever done this? Have you regretted skipping a race?

Lots of people have done it in my running group. They figure the cost of the portion they aren't doing is better than the cost to defer and the cost of cancelling the trip. None of them have regretted it and some of them have even tried the portion they were unsure of just to see how far they get.

I was registered for the Inaugural Avengers' 1/2 Marathon and 5K before I had major surgery. My DD was running the same races, so I didn't want to defer/cancel the trip. I did the 5K, but I didn't feel like I was trained well enough for the 1/2, so I didn't do it, but now I wish I had just done as much as I could. Honestly, I was too chicken to be swept and get a DNF. I made the best decision for myself at the time, but now I do regret it a little bit... only because the races are just so much fun and I let my fear make the decision for me. I still have the shirt and every time I see it in my closet...ugh! That just means that sometime in my life I need a re-do for that race. :-)

Of course, avoiding injury is important, and should always be a priority~ OP, best wishes with whatever you decide to do!

I am registered for the dark side challenge, but sustained an injury at my 10 mile race this past weekend. I am still sore. I don't want to defer both races since I am sure I will be able to do the 10k and the trip is already planned. Since disney wont allow me to defer the half, I think I am just going to skip it and eat the registration fee. I can obviously make that choice the day of, but has anyone ever done this? Have you regretted skipping a race?

I think it really depends on how you are going to feel about it down the road. There are a lot of questions that only you can answer. How serious is the injury? How trained were you leading up to this point? Where does your normal pace fall (comfortably within the 16mm or near the sweepers)?

I can tell you that I was registered for the 10k, 1/2 and full at Marathon Weekend this year never having run a full before. I suffered a pretty serious injury in September and lost all my training time up until Thanksgiving. Even then I was only cleared for 0:30 run/2:00 walk intervals to start back.

I tried to defer the marathon but was too late. So I went to the weekend horribly undertrained and still nursing the injury. Instead of my normal 10mm I dropped my pacing back to 13-14mms with the run/walk intervals, got through the 10k and half intact and reluctantly decided to give the full a shot. Why not, it being a sunk cost and all. Had the time of my life in that race. The most fun I've ever had running.

My advice would be to take it slow through the 10k and see how you feel after. If it feels ok to pretty good, give it a shot slow and easy if you can do it without doing any more damage. Enjoy the experience and don't worry about pacing. The 15-16 mmers get the same medals as the 8 mmers!

Sorry to hear about your injury. I think you should plan on walking the 1/2. Stop for character greets and take your time. I have a feeling you'll still have a blast and gain a different perspective on the race. I'll be doing the 10k-- see ya there!

I may end up walking the half and you are welcome to join me :) It will depend how my knee holds out after the 10k!

I have regretted running a race with an injury. Last May I injured my achilles 2 weeks before my half marathon &5k challenge. I rested for 2 weeks and decided not to run the 5k. I ran the half. I'm just now able to start running. I don't regret not running the 5k, but I do regret running the half. With that being said it was a local race w/a 14mm requirement. Since rundisney has a 16mm cutoff, if your injury allows, I would walk the half. Only you know your body and your injury. I hope it heals fast for you and you can enjoy the race still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter