Sprained ankle...

Court475

Mouseketeer
Ugh - my 14 year old daughter sprained her ankle last night. Not only is this dance recital weekend (she's in 4 shows) but we leave for WDW on Monday. :( This could not have happened at a worse time! Any suggestions on how she will get around the parks?

Depends on how bad the sprain is.
You could skip the recitals and hope the rest is enough for her to walk through the parks.:guilty::sad:

You could buy a scooter that supports at the knee keeping her weight off the ankle.

Use a cane or crutches:crutches:

Rent an ECV:moped:

Piggyback rides all day :duck:

I had a severe sprain several years ago. The first day, I was not able to walk on it at all, and had to use a wheel chair. After then, I was able to use a walking boot for several weeks.

However, with as much walking as you have to do at WDW, I would not recommend a walking boot. I would get either a wheel chair or a scooter for her to use.

It really depends on how severe the sprain is. The first time I sprained my ankle was two days before my dance recitals and it was pretty severe so I was not able to perform. After that one, I had sprains quite frequently through my teens and early twenties. Most where not so severe and the next day I was doing my normal routines, including playing soccer games. If it was a more severe sprain, I was usually on crutches for 1-2 days.

Unless walking is extremely painful during the trip, I would just suggest icing the ankle and wearing a brace and elevating when possible. If walking is painful, you might want to look into renting a wheelchair for her to sit in when she needs.

I've had a bad sprain before, so bad I thought it was broken, went to the ER and got an x-ray.

She probably needs to stay off it, definitely treat it as a sport injury, ice it, take something to reduce the swelling, elevate (as PP mentioned).

I use Tiger Balm for neck and back pain. It may help, some people don't like it, it has a strong smell and has that ice hot sensation.

This may be something to ask on the DISabilities board, as you may get answers from people with more experience using wheelchairs, scooters, ECVs, etc. in the parks. My immediate thought (as someone without direct experience with this, mind you) is that the knee scooter may be easier to take into lines. While WDW does have boarding options for wheelchair users on their rides, they do often ask that people using ECVs leave them at queue entrances and go into the queues on foot if they're physically able to do so. That could mean a lot of time standing in line on that sprained ankle even if she has a wheelchair or ECV to use out in the park. Not sure if they're easier on people bringing the little knee-support scooters into the queues, but it just seems more likely to me to be allowed. Definitely ask around, though; see if you can get an answer from someone who's actually dealt with something like this.

I am going to Disney in 3 weeks and have tendonist in my ankle and I am wearing a walking boot. I plan to use a knee walker. It also has a seat that swivels allowing me to sit on the seat when needed.

Last edited:
I sprained my ankle on the very first day of vacation at Magic Kingdom. They transported me to see a doctor. I thought I had fractured it. They did an x-ray, no fracture but they said it was a severe sprain. We were transported back to Magic Kingdom. The first aid station there gave us a wheel chair to use. I was very uncomfortable being pushed thru the crowds. We turned around after no more than 5 minutes and returned the wheel chair. I elected to walk on my ankle for the entire week. I am in no way recommending that she walk on it all week as I did. I had to be very careful of every curb, sidewalk, and flaw in my path. The doctor's office had given me a support brace to wear. I sympathize with your dilemma. Best wishes and good luck with it all. Hope you all our able to find a good solution. I am enclosing a photo of my ankle after having rolled it at Magic Kingdom. We took this photo once we got back to the hotel. This was before it really started swelling. The doctor put me in a cast once I got back home. IMG_20150905_0001_NEW.jpg

Last edited:
I sprained my ankle as a teen and it rolls more easily now. I sprained it 5/11 and by 5/14 it was fine walking. Still bruised but good to walk on. I’d alternate ice and heat and be sure to elevate as much as possible. Have her tape it or by a compression ankle brace. It won’t hurt near as much to walk on.

Poor gal! I hope she is not too uncomfortable.

Wheelchairs are not an expensive rental, particularly from the many mobility aid companies in the area. It might be best not to depend on park rentals as the walk through parking lots can be very long and may be enough to do her in before the day even starts. Look for a light model that can be easily collapsed and it won’t slow you down at all. She does not have to sit in it all the time, but can use it for support when walking and get off her feet if you are watching parades, fireworks, etc.

Even a mild sprain is likely to be throbbing by midday in a park. Those teenage injuries haunt us forever, and just how badly can depend on how quick we are to rush back to normal wear and tear on a healing muscle or joint. Like the previous poster, I experienced frequent rolls and sprains after a youthful accident and now that ankle swells to triple size with the slightest overuse. A painful reminder, for sure.

Crutches are awkward, and walking boots are hot and throw your back out of alignment with every step. And you can’t hang bags and water bottles from them either.

I would recommend a foldable (portable) scooter that you can put in the trunk of your car to go to the parks. You can also take them on the monorail but it is more of a hassle then putting in your car and driving there. Rent one for the entire time you will be at WDW rather than daily at the parks. That saves the walk in from the car and gives you a better rate. Several companies rent and will deliver to your hotel and pick it up at the end of the rental.

Poor gal! I hope she is not too uncomfortable.

It might be best not to depend on park rentals as the walk through parking lots can be very long and may be enough to do her in before the day even starts.

I was recovering from a broken ankle last year, and relied on WDW's wheelchairs for two days (MK and Epcot). I agree with the above poster that the parking lots can be a killer. We had a temp handicap pass, and even that part of the lot goes on forever. They do station some chairs here and there as a convenience (you leave them before entrance to the park), but I was definitely not loving the walk.

That said, once we had the rental from Guest Services, it was a breeze. I rode everything we wanted (except Peter Pan - they can't slow the belt), and all the CMs who helped us were extremely nice. Sometimes you use the regular lines, sometimes they ask you to come in a different way. Regardless, it was easy and convenient. Granted, the hubs did all the pushing...

A 14 can not rent a scooter/ ECV so she wil need a wheelchair or other device if she needs something

We rented a lightweight wheelchair from an offsite company for our teen mid-trip after he injured his foot. He was ok walking but I didn’t want him on it all day. The lightweight wheelchair was perfect. Very easy to maneuver and easier than a stroller to fold and pick up. Price point was great too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter