Spring 2015 Planting Thread

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
Anyone else working on their gardens?

I need to get my garden going again. I do have a few herbs, and flowers right now. I would like to plant different bulbs, sunflowers, morning glory, and beans, tomatoes, eggplants, chives, ....

What is everyone else working on, and wanting to plant?

I want to keep it simple this year since we will be putting our house up for sale so planting a very small vegetable garden is my plan. Tomatoes, jalapenos and maybe a zucchini but I failed with that one last year.

Our flower beds will be Zinnias and sunflowers. Last week when we had a couple of warm days I did manage to pull dead weeds from my raised beds and my strawberry patch. Can't wait for more warmer weather to get outside and get more done!

Nice blackpearlpirate. I think having a garden would be a nice touch in selling your house.

We weeded out the existing vegetable plants this weekend and dug in some organic compost. I still have some zucchini, capsicum, eggplant and tomatoes going from last year. The capsicum looks like it might be flowering again. Going to wait for another month for those plants.

In the meantime, the zucchini has a few more flowers on it. It's taking up a large area of that garden bed that was really productive last winter; so I'm going to wait a bit. But I might go get come Dynamic Lifter, Blood and Bone and more organic compost next weekend so that I have what I need when the time comes to prepare the flower beds.

What is in your organic compost?

My weeds are nicely growing, so I should be in my garden each day weeding it, and not only planting, and watering it. I did notice that my dahlias are sprouting!

There are a number of different sources for my organic compost:

1. We use a Bokashi bin for home made composting. We have two of these bins and its amazing how quickly we fill it up with our food scraps. We had both tubs full and so that got dug into the garden.
http://www.foodknowhow.org.au/waste-know-how/bokashi-bins/

2. I also have a traditional compost bin. We stopped using this bin about 4 years ago when we went to the Bokashi system. The bin was still 3/4 full and I asked DH to dig the contents into the garden.

3. My fallback is to head to the garden store and get some commercial organic compost. I think I'm going to get some this weekend.

Hope you have a lovely blooming of dahlias!

We will be putting in a pond in our Jersey house, and I will be recovering with my new knees. I have asked my sister if Tom can plant at least 2 zucchini plants in her small plot over at her house. Everyone enjoyed the zucchini bread I made and by mid/late summer I hope to be able to bake. Meanwhile, I will sit and enjoy the pond mostly this summer.

Tom and I successfully brought about 30 indoor plants from Ohio to our NJ home. Because it was just a vacation home, neither I nor my sister kept plants here. They do make it seem like we have settled in to our new home in NJ. Our Ohio house will be officially on the market April 7.

I finally got all the weeding done in the garden. I'm hoping to make it out to the garden store on Sunday to pick up some Blood and Bone, Dynamic Lifter and some organic compost. If we prepare the soil this weekend, I might be able to plant by the end of April.

Bobbi, would you mind sharing your zucchini bread recipe? I had a recipe before and enjoyed it, but don't know where it was placed.

Princess, want to come over and do my weeding next :). It has been raining here a lot lately that the weeds are just popping up everywhere.

Anyone have any experience with planting ginseng? My DH wanted to try it, and I wanted to know the time frame of how long it will take for the plant to grow, growing conditions, ....

I killed my ginseng....and the ginger. :rotfl:

I think you need warmer climate than the temperate conditions we have in Melbourne. You should be fine with it.

My dahlias are starting to bloom, and my little blueberry plant gave us three blueberries. Does anyone know when I should plant the blueberry tree into the ground? Would I plant it when there are no blueberries on the plant? Does it matter?

Patsy, this is one of our favorites, but I go to allrecipes site and just pick one! We also loved the one with crushed pineapple!

Ingredients Edit and Save
Original recipe makes 4 mini-loavesChange Servings
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten

• 1 cup vegetable oil

• 3 teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2 1/4 cups white sugar

• 2 cups shredded zucchini

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

• 1 pint fresh blueberries

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
  3. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Kitchen-Friendly View

My dahlias are starting to bloom, and my little blueberry plant gave us three blueberries. Does anyone know when I should plant the blueberry tree into the ground? Would I plant it when there are no blueberries on the plant? Does it matter?

I have always planted blueberries in the spring. Eventually I gave up trying to grow them because as soon as there was any touch of color, birds would eat them. I tried placing a net over the bushes, but birds actually got their wings stuck.
I was always surprised that the birds never bothered our raspberries! Thank heavens!

Thank you Bobbi :) Will have to try out the recipe.

Today to celebrate Earth Day, we planted a yellow thornless rose plant, and strawberry plants.

Tom and my sister planted some tomato and pepper plants, and we have sown the zucchini seeds. We have some basil, parsley and a Rosemary plant in as well.

I've hung a red New Guinea impatiens planter in hopes of attracting hummingbirds here. So far no sightings.

Wish we had hummingbirds here as well as wild rabbits.

We planted three giant pumpkin plants. Some type of squash plant, and i have four patio tomatoes abd one giant tomato plant that needs to get into the ground. My current tomato plant has given us a bounty of tomatoes but they are starting to dry up, so i will be yanking those plants out soon.

I've decided to leave my garden fallow this winter. All I'm doing is keeping the weeds down and I've put some fertiliser down. I don't know about a summer garden either....there's talk about a major El Nino event building and that will mean hot, dry drought conditions. We'll see.

I've decided to leave my garden fallow this winter. All I'm doing is keeping the weeds down and I've put some fertiliser down. I don't know about a summer garden either....there's talk about a major El Nino event building and that will mean hot, dry drought conditions. We'll see.
I hope the prediction is wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!