Spring Break 2019 Pre-Trip Report. A Family Affair

Ronald Brown

Earning My Ears
Hi. Still pretty new around here, but as my planning is getting well underway for our next trip, I thought I'd start one of these for comments, advice, "oh, no"s, etc.

First, about me. I'm not young (46) and have been to Disney World 6 times, planning each. We (my family of 5) went Spring Break (March) 2017 and my wife I went to F&W in September of that year. We managed to convince her family how great it is, and we're all going this coming March (17 days until ADRs.)

This will be our first large party. We've been just adults (twice), family of four (twice), family of five (once) and once with the five of us plus grandparents.

This time it'll be 12

The Gang (kids ages when we go)
Me, my wife, DS17, DD15, DS11 - As state, we've been a few times, the kids have their favorites, but tastes change each trip

Nana and Papa - Have been once with us and one other time

BiL, his wife, and our nephew (N4) - first trips
SiL and her little guy (N1) - first trips

When
Spring Break 2019 (March 9-16: The five of us arrive on 3/9, the others on 3/10). As I said, we went the same week in 2017 and found the crowds to be fine and didn't hinder us at all.

Where

We'll be staying at Copper Creek in a 2BR and 2 Studios. We can gather in the evening in the living room when the youngest are getting tired, and its still enough space that all the adult groups have their own rooms. N and P will be with us in the 2BR

Dining: No Dining Plan

Current Status and Issues

So, while I've planned before, it was always just our family and we all adjusted (the occasional ride swap was easy enough). Now, we have three generations, first timers, and very different goals. The newbies don't want to plan and have trusted me to take care of ADR, FP+, etc.

I know we need to be flexible (younger kids especially are unpredictable, and I don't know how tired or annoyed people will get). Crowds were fine for us, but who knows about the others.

I'm planning on only 3-4 big meals together (Tusker breakfast, Whispering Canyon sometime, Ragland Road one evening - not too late, maybe one other) with people able to gather for CS as desired and making 3 different groups of FP+ selected (Thrill ride heavy, Fun Favorites, and Relaxed)

Any notes from people who have planned similar trips would be appreciated.

Following..we are going in January. A family of 11. Ages 1-10. Plus me DH and DS1. DS2
It so hard to plan for a large group. I have started a PTR too. Good luck. My DH and DS2 don't understand the work that goes into this...

I was chatting with the kids tonight and DS11 says "I really like that ride that takes you through the movies." I tried to sell him on the Mickey Ride (he loves classic Mickey) but no luck. "I don't care. I want that one back."

Oh, well. Looks like we'll find a new favorite this year.

I am planning a trip in June of 2019 for 19 people, 3 generations and a couple of first timers. We rented a house off site. I want to try to get a couple of character meals. I am doing all the fastpasses and meal reservations. I'm interested in any tips you get!

Okay, so the 180 day mark came up this week, and here's the current status of ADRs. The group is still having a hard time committing to how they'd like to eat, so I said I'd just reserve things I thought would work. Overall, the booking was easy and the times I wanted were available.

Oh, my group (the 5 of us) also got tickets through Southwest. Getting to MCO at 9:30 AM Sat 3/9 and not leaving until 9 PM Sat 3/16

Sat 3/9 - The 5 of us arrive earlier than the group and plan to go to EPCOT. I love World Showcase and the extended family didn't want more than a single day at that park. We reserved Chefs de France for dinner as it's a place we haven't eaten before

Sun 3/10 - After the long day Sat (we'll be getting up at 3 AM and staying until fireworks), we plan to sleep in a bit on what will be arrival day for the others. I booked brunch at California Grill. We'll have a nice relaxed meal in the late morning and then head back to the resort to meet the rest of the family. We'll end up going to MK at some point that day.

Mon 3/11 - Back to EPCOT with the whole group. I booked Rose and Crown for lunch, though I'm not sure if we'll end up keeping it. We plan to stay late for the Frozen dessert party (or maybe Star Wars dessert later in the week) but they aren't available for booking

Tue 3/12 - Day 1 of MK. We will be likely be in fantasy land much of the day and we have Be Our Guest for lunch. I booked no dinners since I'm not sure how the 1 yo and 4 yo will be doing later in the days

Wed 3/13 - DHS day. I grabbed a lunch at 50s as it's one of my favorites.

Thu 3/14 - Day 2 of MK. I reserved Crystal Palace for breakfast, as many of the group love Pooh and Eeyore is a fav of mine. Food is just okay, but good characters. I booked as early as I could in the hopes of better character time. This one also has a chance of falling off.

Fri 3/15 - AK day and breakfast at Tusker

Sat 3/16 - Departure day. I booked 1900 Park Fair. I feel witnessing the majestic madness of the Hatter is part of my Disney experience. We've done this on departure day three times and I really enjoy it.

As I said, I will be booking a dessert party when they come up, and I hope to book a Storybook meal at Artist Point once they are available as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter