Spring break ideas within 10 hour drive from Boston

I would avoid all beaches north of Daytona since they will be cold!

Easter is going to be late that year and early this year, so crazy! We will still go to FL, flights can’t be any worse then the $500 I am paying this April, plus we have gone Easter before so I know they won’t be $1000!

Whether spring break is Easter Week is really dependent on the state and/or school district. When we lived in the Northeast, we had a week in Feb. and a week in April. The Feb. week was President's Day week in NY, but then the week after in NH. Then there would be an April break, third week in April, regardless of Easter.

Here in North Carolina, we have the week BEFORE Easter off, whenever that falls, so it's March this year, April next. The theory is that North Carolinians can visit tourist spots on a different week than others--we went to Myrtle Beach for a few days last year, and hope to go again this year. Similarly, New Hampshire had a different winter break so residents could ski the slopes without all the tourists.

FTR, we really like going to Myrtle Beach in the off-season. Many places have indoor and/or heated pools, and there are many things to do in the area. My kids looked at the ocean for 5 minutes, but to be fair, we live coastal, so it's not a big deal to them. It might be a tad far for the OP to drive, though.

How is the weather in Hilton Head in April?

It can vary from year to year. Most years we have had beautiful weather in the 70's or even low 80's. One year, however, we did have cold weather in the high 50's a few days. But even then it was only a day or two and warmed up after.

We love it after a cold New England winter and spend most of our time there outside biking, hanging out on the beach, shopping and eating. Even if it's chilly, it feels warm to us. :)

How about Lancaster PA? Its nice there that time of year, I'm not sure if Hershey Park would be open by then or not.

Or New York City?

Yes, I would say 500 is the minimum I've paid going on Easter weeks to FL in the past. Last year (2017), I think it was $515 each with a layover for Sat to Sat of Easter week/April vacation. There's 4 of us so then it is 2k just for flights. I guess I wanted to see what other ideas ppl had for April vaca that might save $$$. Although I do love Florida after the long winter....

I don't think Hershey park is open that early in the season. I would like to go there some year in the summer though. My kids have never been and I haven't been since the 90s.

I really like the Hilton Head idea. We have never been to the Carolinas. The weather doesn't sound bad either. Myrtle Beach is another place I've never been, I will have to check how long the drive would be.

I love all these and all the other ideas. They are great to consider even for summers in the future too!!

Hershey Park should be open. This year they are opening March 30th. I would expect opening around mid April next year since Easter is later. The only bad thing is that time of year is horrible for crowds. This past season, the Friday and Saturday before Easter had lines up to 2 1/2 hours for some coasters.

Yes, I would say 500 is the minimum I've paid going on Easter weeks to FL in the past. Last year (2017), I think it was $515 each with a layover for Sat to Sat of Easter week/April vacation. There's 4 of us so then it is 2k just for flights. I guess I wanted to see what other ideas ppl had for April vaca that might save $$$. Although I do love Florida after the long winter....

I don't think Hershey park is open that early in the season. I would like to go there some year in the summer though. My kids have never been and I haven't been since the 90s.

I really like the Hilton Head idea. We have never been to the Carolinas. The weather doesn't sound bad either. Myrtle Beach is another place I've never been, I will have to check how long the drive would be.

I love all these and all the other ideas. They are great to consider even for summers in the future too!!
It comes up as appx 13 hrs from Boston to Raleigh, NC. We did the drive, though, a couple of summers ago (MA to Orlando - first time driving) and it took about 18 hours to get to the Welcome Center just as you cross over into NC - that was with all the trappings of driving with a family of four, stopping for breaks and food, etc. But the big thing was hitting traffic jams in multiple places. (Just like home!)

Look into Amtrak and renting a car when you get there. There are ways to save on Amtrak if you sign up for specials, book early, use discounts, etc. I think some fares are refundable, too. That wold be different, maybe more relaxing, and hopefully more affordable than flying, idk.

Hershey Park should be open. This year they are opening March 30th. I would expect opening around mid April next year since Easter is later. The only bad thing is that time of year is horrible for crowds. This past season, the Friday and Saturday before Easter had lines up to 2 1/2 hours for some coasters.

Ugh. That's why I avoid WDW at Easter....the crowds. I did it in 2014 and prefer to not do that again.

Anyone know if Busch Gardens, VA gets the bad Easter crowds too?

FTR, we drive from southern NC to upstate NY every summer. We stop overnight at a decent hotel. In this case, "decent" means one with an indoor pool--gives the kids a way to unwind after sitting in the car. You could widen yoru range a bit if this were a possibility.

On a similar note, we have students drive down from Boston to our house--they're actually on their way to volunteer in GA/FL, but need a stop if they're heading south of Raleigh, NC. So every March, we have a weekend where 20 or so college kids descend on our house--we feed them and offer a place to crash for a few hours. They stop on the way home, too.

For those who have done Boston to DC - I know that drive isn't too bad and actually flights can be pretty cheap (my neighbor actually teaches at Georgetown Tues - Thurs. She flies Boston to DC every week). I only went to DC once when I was 10 or 11 and just for the day passing through. I think we just did the Smithsonian. Do you think there's enough to interest active kids there?

Ugh. That's why I avoid WDW at Easter....the crowds. I did it in 2014 and prefer to not do that again.

If the weather is good it will be full of locals. I've been a few times and YES, it's crowded. But if it ends up being rainy, it will be more manageable.

Consider the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Closer than the SC beaches, and though the weather is also unpredictable, if you’re lucky, it could be very pleasant in the mid-to-high 60’s through the 70’s, possibly low 80’s (colder at night).

You could rent a beach house and there’s lots of activities for the whole family: nature preserve areas, an aquarium, Kitty Hawk/Wright Bros site, lighthouses, fishing, kayaking, ATV/Jeep/wild horse tours, etc. Low crowds, more peaceful than summer. Might be too cold for swimming in the ocean but your kids could still play on the beach.

Last edited:

The year we went it was crowded but nothing compared to WDW crowded.

For those who have done Boston to DC - I know that drive isn't too bad and actually flights can be pretty cheap (my neighbor actually teaches at Georgetown Tues - Thurs. She flies Boston to DC every week). I only went to DC once when I was 10 or 11 and just for the day passing through. I think we just did the Smithsonian. Do you think there's enough to interest active kids there?

Oh my gosh, yes! Plenty to do. We took our son during spring break a few years ago when he was 9, that was a perfect age. It's a very active trip, not a restful vacation, and if you have a week you might want to make it a combo with a few days in VA Beach or Williamsburg. But that's dependent on your family, your parents, etc. We stayed in National Harbor, in a timeshare condo, which was perfect. We drove from CT, it's a really reasonable drive even from Boston. National Harbor has stuff right there, a waterfront, cute shops, restaurants, some activities, etc. And our timeshare had indoor pool, movie nights, game nights, etc. right there, which was also nice for when we had some down time.

We took the metro a few times, but my husband preferred to drive and park near to our sightseeing for that day. We used Parking Panda app, and that was AWESOME. Ds's favorites were Spy Museum, Newseum. We all also loved the Udvar Hazy Air and Space, in Chantilly, VA. It's a short drive, and worth it! Gets you out of the city, lots of fun restaurants in the area. We got ds a National Parks passport, which was a huge hit ($6) and he was excited to get a stamp at each place we visited. (Almost all participate.) We enjoyed the memorials, did a tour of Arlington. On our to do list was Old Town Alexandria, which we didn't get to, there is a fun pub there (Murphy's) with trivia nights that I read were ok for kids and cheap meals, so that's something the family can do together. We did a tour of the Capitol, Library of Congress, National Archives. Lincoln walking tour.

We were tired at the end of our days on foot, so we enjoyed having the condo immensely. Several nights we did a fun lunch in the city, and then 'curbside takeout' at Outback to bring back to the condo, or got food 'to go' from one of the places (like the awesome crabcake place!) right in National Harbor (quick walk to pick up) and ate it at the dining table. Then had a swim or watched a movie. We wanted to have our shoes off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter