Spring break ideas within 10 hour drive from Boston

We drove from Boston to Harrisburg when my youngest was 8 and my oldest 12 though we went in the summer. We stayed in Harrisburg. We did Hershey Park for 1 full day plus the early entry the night before. We also went to Hershey Garden and Hershey Story using groupons for those. We did the children's activities when offered such as scavenger hunt type booklet. We also made the candy bar and did the chocolate tasting (thanks to groupon deal). We also did all the Hershey Chocolate World attractions. My 8 year old thought she would hate the trolley ride but laughed most of the ride. While my then 8 year old doesn't really like chocolate she still found making a candy bar and sampling drinks to be fun.

Using our museum of science membership reciprocality we had free admission to the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, Hershey Zoo America, Lancaster Science Factory, and North Museum of nature and science. My kids love science museums since they are usually very hands on. The national clock and watch museum was another possibility but we never ended up there.

We also did a trip to Lancaster where did a bus tour, horse and buggy ride, visit to Amish house and schoolhouse and of course an Amish meal. Another day we did a trip to Gettysburg. My youngest was not interested at all in going but once we were there she loved it. One of those days we stopped at Turkey Hill Experience which is hands on fun and lots of ice cream tasting, drink sampling and we made our own ice cream. For a change of pace we visited an Indian Cave.

Basically we were out and about most days but it was a big leisurely in that we had a hotel room with full kitchen so we ate breakfast and most dinners in the hotel room and had time to swim at night.

Another time we went to DC for April vacation week in MA but we flew and arrived Sunday morning and left Thursday. We didn't find anything crowded. It was the week after Cherry Blossom week. My kids were 6 and 10 just shy of 7 & 11. My elderly parents were with us and we had one wheelchair. My 6 year old fell asleep sitting on grandpa on our capital tour but otherwise the kids enjoyed all the typical attractions. Places were scheduled to close at 5pm but the weather was nice and they tended to stay open to 7pm instead.

We rented a nice modern cabin in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinberg one year during spring break. Beginning of April. Not warm enough to swim, but had a nice hot tub at the cabin, and tons to do for kids and adults.

@Bren's Mom How did you go about renting the time share in DC? Do you own a timeshare and just used points or did you rent from someone or from a rental company? Anyone else with resort or lodging suggestions, feel free to chime in too please.
I'm really liking the Washington DC in April idea and the ride from Boston isn't too bad. I have over a year to plan still anyway bc this April we are doing FL. I just love planning vacations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter