Spring break - we're not in college anymore Toto - Feb 2018 TR

OK, so on a Friday afternoon at work, it's finally calmed down so I'm getting a chance to read your report while waiting for DW to pick me up. Time to answer some questions! For the record, I've answered these before I scrolled to your next "Animals" update. So if there are any revealed answers, I haven't seen them yet!

Not very hungry because of eating dessert
Didn't have ribs because she changed her mind

ADR change from - Yak & Yeti
ADR change to - Tiffins
Shows - a & c
DISmeet - yes!
New rides - 2
Tuesday - Poly for Dole whips
Answers noted. I know you've been swamped and I trust you, so I don't doubt for a second you didn't look ahead.

Boatin', Walkin', Drivin', Soarin', DISmeet and more walkin' (part 1)
(did I mention walking?)

If you've read back or have been following from the PTR, we normally do alternating park days and resort/relax days, so today WAS a relax day.

Tuesday – 2/20/2018 – EPCOT

I would like to say I made the decision when I woke up. I can't.
I would like to say I made the decision last night. I can't.
I would like to say I made the decision the night before when I went the AP route. I can't.
I would like to say I made the...okay, enough you say?

I decided once I knew what days my family would be joining us I (yes I, it was a unilateral decision) wanted to catch my favorite (at the time) restaurant at Disney. Biergarten. Besides Biergarten, I also wanted to do some other things at EPCOT I'd heard about from others and hadn't ever done. Cool club. I mentioned I'm not a big Coke fan, so had never done this. Cool club wasn't so much on the agenda as Beverly was. I'd heard a lot about Beverly from the DISdads and others. So far, there weren't many people who spoke fondly of her and this piqued my interest. I like to give people a fair chance until they've given me a reason not to. I also wanted to check out the DVC lounge. I'd heard about it, but never visited. Karmel Korn. I'd been past it many times and always thought it smelled wonderful, but had never stopped. I also wanted to do things I had done before, but wanted to do again or more of. Test track! I enjoy driving fast, at least when I don't have a giant eagle pooping on my windshield. Although I'm not driving, the thrill of TT has always been there for me. Also wanted to let PR ride FEA although I can't stand this ride. As I may or may not have mentioned, Olaf is the only part of Frozen I really care for. Sven is pretty cool, but Olaf makes the movie.

So, I decided on Saturday before I was going to squeeze in another park day. I figured since Thursday was a check-out/transfer day, it would be best to do this on Tuesday. While I was making the endless ADR changes, I also snagged an ADR for Biergarten, albeit a late one (1:20pm). I was pleasantly surprised there was one at all. Maybe it was another person like me who made the resi with more people and then had to lower it down. Since it was a late lunch, I snagged a late dinner as well for Nine Dragons.

So, Tuesday morning arrived beautifully. After I got up, took my shower, brushed my teeth, made my first cup of tea, sat on the balcony a bit enjoying my tea and took a few pictures, I sauntered down to Beachclub Bakery.
bw7.JPG

Grabbed a few more pictures on the way
bw1.jpg

bw2.jpg

bw3.jpg

I prefer bagels over croissants any day, so I got a bacon egg and cheese croissant for PR and and a bacon egg and cheese bagel for me. I also got a chocolate chip muffin for her and blueberry muffin for me. After looking at the sausage and seeing it was links instead of patties, the decision to go with bacon (mmmm bacon) was confirmed. As if it hadn't been already.
bec_bagel.jpg

bec_crossant.jpg

bb_muffin.jpg

When I got back to the room, I awakened sleeping beauty (AKA Princess Rose). She didn't want to get up...teenage girl, wow, big surprise. After waiting the obligatory or ritual “5 more minutes”, I attempted the second awakening. She tried to ignore me again, but I said there's a chocolate chip muffin with your name on it and I can take it back. She was up!! We had breakfast. She is typically not a huge breakfast eater, but loves her carbs so she surprised me this morning. She ate all the bacon, a good portion of the eggs and cheese, but barely touched the croissant. I had ordered extra bacon with mine (there's no such thing as too much bacon) and I was surprised to find a paper pouch with bacon in it instead of the extra bacon ON the sandwich. Well, that was quickly remedied and my sandwich was adequately bacon'ed up. After finishing my sandwich, I opened up the box with the muffins. Whooooaaa! I didn't realize the muffins would be the size of softballs (well almost)! Rather than attempting to eat the whole thing and make myself miserable, I decided to save half for when B returned...he loves blueberries. PR had one bite of my half, but didn't want anymore including her CC muffin.

We finished breakfast and I waited for PR to change and brush her teeth. She prefers baths and had taken one the night before. Then we headed down to the boat dock to await our chariot (err floating chariot?) to EPCOT. When I first booked this trip, the plan (see above) was 3 days at the parks. I had only purchased a 3 day ticket for PR. Looking at the price I'd paid already and what it would cost to add another day and the difference between the AP, I decided I could upgrade her to an AP also. This also further preserved the non-expiring tickets I had for a later date.

We got there about 8:15 and went to guest relations. About 10 minutes later, AP for PR completed and in her purse, I anticipated waiting around until they let us in. They let us in right away. I guess this is one of the perks of being at an EPCOT area resort and/or coming in on the WS entrance. The only FPs I could get (3 days prior) were FN (morning) and TT and SE for MUCH later in the afternoon.

Since we were in early, we decided to try Soarin'.
On the way there is where I think my best pictures of the trip...
ep1.JPG
ep2.JPG

We also saw some ducks on the way and I like the way this picture turned out as well.
ducks2.JPG

Soarin' is not my favorite anymore. I liked the old one better. I understand why they updated it, so I'm not against it, just not as good to me as it once was. I also really only like it if we're in row 1. People's feet hanging down ruins the effect. The original plan was try to get a return time like we had for FOP expecting it to be long enough that we'd be able to go to FN and maybe one other attraction before returning. When I asked the CM for the return time, he asked me do you want to go now? I told me let me think about for a millisecond or so...SURE!!! We rode soarin' and were even able to get the first row. Only being two of us has its advantages.

That's my picture limit for this post. To be continued...

I would like to say I made the decision when I woke up. I can't.
I would like to say I made the decision last night. I can't.
I would like to say I made the decision the night before when I went the AP route. I can't.
I would like to say I made the...okay, enough you say?

I'm seeing a trend...

my favorite (at the time) restaurant at Disney. Biergarten.

Not sure if it was ever my favourite... but it was up there!
But since that time... I've eaten at many more places and... while I still like to go there, it's not nearly my favourite any more.

Cool club wasn't so much on the agenda as Beverly was.

::yes::

Karmel Korn. I'd been past it many times and always thought it smelled wonderful, but had never stopped.

You mean Karamell-Küche, yes? Or do you specifically mean the caramel corn?

sat on the balcony a bit enjoying my tea and took a few pictures, I sauntered down to Beachclub Bakery.

Sounds like a pretty nice morning!

I prefer bagels over croissants any day

I'm the opposite. Except if it's just the bagel or croissant. Then if it's bagel and cream cheese vs croissant with butter? I'll take the bagel.

After looking at the sausage and seeing it was links instead of patties, the decision to go with bacon (mmmm bacon) was confirmed. As if it hadn't been already.

Agreed. I really like sausage with my breakfast sammie.... but not if it's halved links. Gotta be a patty.

She didn't want to get up...teenage girl, wow, big surprise.

:rolleyes1

there's no such thing as too much bacon

Correct.

I was surprised to find a paper pouch with bacon in it instead of the extra bacon ON the sandwich.

ep1-jpg.308183

Really like that one. Nice shot!

We also saw some ducks on the way and I like the way this picture turned out as well.
ducks2-jpg.308185

Soarin' is not my favorite anymore. I liked the old one better.

Ditto. Agree 100%.

I also really only like it if we're in row 1. People's feet hanging down ruins the effect.

Also agree 100%.

I am definitely on the old Soarin team as well. It was one of my favorites, this one is okay but not my favorite anymore!

I am also on old TT bandwagon, not as much of a fan of the new one. I know things have to be updated but so far I like the old ones better.

Boatin', Walkin', Drivin', Soarin', DISmeet and more walkin' (part 2)

After soarin' we went over to FN. There was a couple there with their kids and asked us to take a picture. I was tempted to ask the wife to take a picture with their camera and email or text it to me, but decided we'd try my not so great camera. I explained to her to make sure and press the button all the way vs. press slightly and wait. I still don't understand why slight press and hold didn't do what it should (auto focus everything for a full press), but at least I found a work-around for a larger success rate.

After FN, I had a mission. I was going to TRY to get a FEA FP by visiting guest services vs. trekking all the way out to FEA. I figured it was worth a shot. As we passed the character greet area, I noticed on MDE the baymax wait was 5 minutes. Score, let's go meet baymax. Once inside, I had great disdain for the lying, scheming MDE. The wait was 30 minutes. Nope! I like baymax, but not 30 minutes worth. We went on to GR and they were able to give us the FP for FEA later that afternoon (around 2pm if I recall).

fn1.JPG
With FP for FEA (for PR) secured and knowing we had several hours before our ADR or our next FPs, I had a new mission. The DISmeet that didn't happen last night. Caroline and Andi were at MK, so we headed for the front of the park. Snagged a PPP and got a couple of pictures.
ep1.jpg

ep2.jpg

We made tracks for the monorail track. Definitely not time for moseying, sashaying or any other less active means of locomotion. We had seen the monorail (yellow) go by when walking up the ramp to the platform, so the wait should be minimal. It wasn't. Evidently there was some problem while making the look around SE. While we were inconvenienced, hopefully tons of folks got a good picture. About maybe 10 min and we were on the monorail.

We got to the TC and whoooooaaaa, what a crowd. We had done EPCOT on rope drop (actually before since we came in on the resort side). There was a hefty crowd heading to MK, which I hadn't thought about. The announcement on the PA said the best line/option would be the ferry boat, but it had a huge line also. I skipped right up the resort monorail ramp dragging PR along with me. She didn't want to skip, but as I dragged her along, she skipped (well maybe bounced) on the concrete. Teach her for not skipping along with me. Our first stop was the Polynesian and I had to resist the strong urge to go for Dole whips. I struggled with Dole whips or DISmeet. Thankfully for Caroline (or maybe regretably) the DISmeet won out. The plan was swing back by here on our way back to TC and get Dole whips.

I texted Caroline and told her we'd just made it through security (AGAIN) and heading into the park. She said they were near the (now infamous) purple wall. Actually, they were at the COP, so close enough. Once we got closer, they were near the monsters Inc entrance. We met there, exchanged a few greetings, got our picture taken by a nice soul (fellow veteran :yay:).
dismeet.jpg
We talked for a few minutes and I apologized again for not having the umph last night to meet them. She was very gracious and understanding. She then told me they were heading to BTMRR for a FP. Since I'd gotten our DVC FPs squared away and I knew B wasn't into roller coasters, I asked if it was okay if we joined them. She told me absolutely not, she didn't want to hang out with such a jerk that would stand them up. Wow, that didn't last long. She really said she'd enjoy that, but I saw the look of horror she gave Andi. We walked over to Frontierland and continued chatting on the way. I think PR was glad to have someone her own age to talk with for a bit instead of just dad. We had a great time on BTMRR (always fun) and then said our goodbyes.
mk3.jpg

I had one thing in mind. Dole whips.
dole_whip_float.jpg
Since I'd never had one before yesterday, I wasn't certain exactly where it was located, but I'm part bloodhound and just followed my nose. Shhh PR, don't tell 'em about stopping to ask the CM. Well, turns out, maybe my nose would've been better. They pointed me towards POC and said it was near there. We were right near Pecos Bill's so the walk through by CBJ would have been a much more direct route. Once we got near POC, I asked again and was told it was just up on the left. I guess my definition of “just” up and theirs were way different. Anyway, we finally made it to Aloha aisle and were soon ordering our slices of heaven. Since it was quite a ways until our lunch, we opted for the float.

While we were enjoying our dole whip floats, we saw this guy. I cannot imagine how hot those costumes must be in the summer.
cbj1.jpg

Neither of us could finish our dole whip float. It hadn't been that long since breakfast and no matter how good it was, it just wasn't happening. Ever noticed in Star Wars where Vader or Luke are contending with the force? That's what throwing away a not empty Dole whip float was like. I tried to throw it away, but felt this unknown force dragging my arm backward. I tried again, same thing. I took another bite or two and tried again. Same thing. PR had already thrown hers away so I asked her to take care of mine. Evidently she's not affected by the long distance DISdads force the way I am. Whew!

On our way out of MK, we managed to snag another PPP (I love the perk of free PP for AP holders). I went from don't take our picture because I know it costs and arm and a leg to oh a PPP, let's stop. ;)

mk5.jpg

mk7.jpg

mk8.jpg

We then headed back to EPCOT for our afternoon ADR and FPs.

Picture limit reached. To be continued...

Boatin', Walkin', Drivin', Soarin', DISmeet and more walkin' (part 3)

Now that I'm looking at the timeline again, I guess the FP for FEA was before 1pm, since our ADR for Biergarten was at 1:20pm.

ep5.jpg

UGH...stupid size limit for uploading photos. I reduced the size of a picture to under 2MB and it still complains it's too big even though it uploaded the above which is actually bigger. Well, I'm sure y'all have seen enough of the person holding the balloons so I'll press on. I guess the good news is one more photo before I hit my limit for this update.

After getting off the monorail, we headed to Norway. This is where we experienced the least helpful and the most helpful CMs in the span of 5 minutes. I had planned to let PR go and then use my magicband to go again. She loves Frozen and FEA, I do not. I like Olaf and the ride physically hurts my back when it goes backward and hits whatever and changes direction. The CM at the entrance said I have to swipe my MB first. No biggie, just reverse the order...use mine and then hers. Nope, we must go together. I explained it physically hurt my back and the ONLY reason I did the FP was for her. Too bad, so sad, you must go. Right before we got to the ride, I explained to the guy there exactly what I'd explained outside. Let me talk to my manager and we'll see what we can do. Shortly after, the person in charge of the ride...can't for the life of me remember her name, but she was great. Just stand over here sir and when she gets off, we'll just let her ride again. Score! I told her I appreciated it so much and I can imagine she has a lot to watch, so I thanked her profusely for allowing PR to ride twice and not forcing me. She sat there and talked to me the whole time. I mentioned I'm in IT. She got a grin on her face and said follow me. She opened a door that said CM only and show me their control center for FEA. As a geek, I was like, wow and totally didn't even think about the camera. It was cool to see and I thanked her again. I literally was so surprised and thrilled I got to see geeky stuff, I completely forgot to get her name. I've seen many control centers in my career, but I've never seen a Disney ride control center!!!
fea1.jpeg
I love the look on her face here.

fea2.jpeg
She looks so happy here...I love it when my princess is happy!

After PR finished with FEA, it was time to mosey or sashay towards my formerly favorite restaurant. Biergarten! Biergarten knows how much I love it, so thankfully it wasn't resentful that Tiffins was my new first love. It told me it was fine with sharing my affections. Now, if only DW felt that way. 1000% kidding folks! As we were heading towards Germany, PR saw a face painting booth near the outpost between China and Germany. PR asked if it was okay. Not a contest question, but a rhetorical question...your youngest daughter asks daddy, can I get my face painted please? What would be your answer. Well, I can't speak for you, but I'm not sure she even had the opportunity to say please and I said sure baby. According to DW, PR has me wrapped around her little finger. I don't agree, but when we're at Disney, it's fun time. Okay, so maybe she does. Sheesh, tough crowd.
pr_paint.JPG

PR_face_painting.jpg

pr_paint2.JPG

After the face painting, on to lunch. I was somewhat glad I hadn't finished the dole whip float. More room for brats and potato salad and schnitzel. We got there about 10 minutes ahead of our ADR, but there was a long line. By the time we got to the front desk, it was about 2 minutes after the ADR. We waited for about another 5. Not bad at all. There was a couple with 2 younger kids and an older couple with us. Both us and the older couple had been there before so we told the younger couple to take the seats closer to the stage. I think secretly, we all thought that just simply puts us closer to the food, so we're really not being nice, we're being greedy. Well, our poor server mojo returned. I think the girl may have been new or maybe they were short handed that day, but it took quite a while just to get our drinks. Fortunately, this is the last of the poor server stories you'll have to endure. Other than the first person I asked telling me there was no potato salad and me yelling for the entire restaurant to hear, WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO POTATO SALAD IN A GERMAN BUFFET? The band on stage said, no sir, it's there, it's next to the schnitzel. Whew! I didn't get any potato salad the first round, but was really puzzled they didn't have it. I mentioned it to the older couple and the lady said, oh no, they have it, it's right next to the schnitzel. Part of me said that sounds familiar. That's the crazy part of my brain. The normal part of my brain said that makes sense, I can't imagine a German buffet without it. I got some on my second (and third) round and all I can say is yummmm...German potato salad. Unfortunately, this was the second buffet where PR wasted my money. Do you see a pattern developing here? Sometimes, she eats like Sarah :-)wave: @Captain_Oblivious). This week, the food warrior did not show up.

bg.JPG

bg3.JPG My first plate.
bg2.JPG
PR's first (only?) plate.

Picture limit yet again, so continued. Since it's 9pm and we lose an hour tonight, it will have to wait until tomorrow. G'night all!

I'm seeing a trend...
There's a lot of things I'd like to say, but I also want to tell it like it really happened. :rotfl2:

Not sure if it was ever my favourite... but it was up there!
But since that time... I've eaten at many more places and... while I still like to go there, it's not nearly my favourite any more.
Well I enjoy almost all German food and they don't use peppers, so I could eat to my heart's content. Although Tiffins wasn't a buffet, it was absolutely amazing and dethroned Biergarten.

You mean Karamell-Küche, yes? Or do you specifically mean the caramel corn?
Yes. I was doing the edit from memory and forgot to look it up.

Sounds like a pretty nice morning!
Always is. Enjoying the serenity of morning before all the hustle & bustle and whining from PR about getting up. :lmao:

I'm the opposite. Except if it's just the bagel or croissant. Then if it's bagel and cream cheese vs croissant with butter? I'll take the bagel.
I think it's the same with me with donuts. Many people here love the Krispy Kreme and to me they're just sugar coated air. Same with croissants, they seem like butter coated air to me. I want something that requires chewing.not just bite and swallow (not to be confused with an African swallow) ;)

Really like that one. Nice shot!
Thank you. I had a few I really like how they turned out.

Last edited:

After soarin' we went over to FN.

Okay. I give up. What the heck is FN?

Once inside, I had great disdain for the lying, scheming MDE. The wait was 30 minutes.

Oh it was right. There was a 5 minute wait... but that was 5 minutes ago.

We went on to GR and they were able to give us the FP for FEA later that afternoon (around 2pm if I recall).

Really!

Boy, times have changed from a year ago when you couldn't get anywhere near that ride unless you got your FP right at the opening of the FP window.

awww... nice shot.

About maybe 10 min and we were on the monorail.

That's not bad at all.

I skipped right up the resort monorail ramp dragging PR along with me.

::yes:: I'm thinking that was a good call.

She didn't want to skip, but as I dragged her along, she skipped (well maybe bounced) on the concrete. Teach her for not skipping along with me.

Kids. They gotta learn the hard way.

Our first stop was the Polynesian and I had to resist the strong urge to go for Dole whips.

Dude. You're going to the birthplace of Dole whips... What were you thinking???

I struggled with Dole whips or DISmeet.

Tough call.

Nice shot of you guys. Glad it worked out. :)

She told me absolutely not, she didn't want to hang out with such a jerk that would stand them up.

Wow. But then again.... can hardly blame them.

Shhh PR, don't tell 'em about stopping to ask the CM.

:laughing: Mum's the word.

They pointed me towards POC and said it was near there.

well... sort of.

we opted for the float.

Finally!

And? Which do you like better? Float or no float?

I cannot imagine how hot those costumes must be in the summer.

I've wondered if maybe they have some cooling inside? Like a wet neck wrap?

Neither of us could finish our dole whip float. It hadn't been that long since breakfast and no matter how good it was, it just wasn't happening.

:eek:

Ever noticed in Star Wars where Vader or Luke are contending with the force? That's what throwing away a not empty Dole whip float was like.

That's not even a close comparison! Sacrilege!

This is where we experienced the least helpful and the most helpful CMs in the span of 5 minutes.

Huh.

the ride physically hurts my back when it goes backward and hits whatever and changes direction

Pretty good reason not to ride it.

Just stand over here sir and when she gets off, we'll just let her ride again.

:) Nice!

She opened a door that said CM only and show me their control center for FEA. As a geek, I was like, wow and totally didn't even think about the camera

No way! That's cool!!

I love the look on her face here.

::yes:: :goodvibes

She looks so happy here...I love it when my princess is happy!

Awww.... :)

After PR finished with FEA, it was time to mosey or sashay towards my formerly favorite restaurant.

Sashay. Always pick sashay.

It told me it was fine with sharing my affections. Now, if only DW felt that way. 1000% kidding folks!

:laughing:

your youngest daughter asks daddy, can I get my face painted please? What would be your answer.

No.

See? Easy.

okay, Yes.

How the heck did she eat anything with glitter on her lips???

More room for brats and potato salad and schnitzel.

As much as I love Dole whips..... dang....

Both us and the older couple had been there before so we told the younger couple to take the seats closer to the stage

Nice of you.

I think secretly, we all thought that just simply puts us closer to the food, so we're really not being nice, we're being greedy.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO POTATO SALAD IN A GERMAN BUFFET?

What???????????????

yummmm...German potato salad.

Okay. Phew!

Hmmm... I haven't made it in a while... I typically think of it as a summer time food. Maybe I should whip some up.

There's a lot of things I'd like to say, but I also want to tell it like it really happened. :rotfl2:

You can do that in a TR? Huh!

Well I enjoy almost all German food and they don't use peppers, so I could eat to my heart's content.

I'm exactly the same. Exactly.

Although Tiffins wasn't a buffet, it was absolutely amazing and dethroned Biergarten.

I keep hearing really good things.

Always is. Enjoying the serenity of morning before all the hustle & bustle and whining from PR about getting up. :lmao:

I think it's the same with me with donuts. Many people here love the Krispy Kreme and to me they're just sugar coated air. Same with croissants, they seem like butter coated air to me. I want something that requires chewing.not just bite and swallow

You know, I can see that.

(not to be confused with an African swallow) ;)

wrong TR! :laughing:

Okay. I give up. What the heck is FN?
Sorry...I called it Finding Nemo, but it's officially The Seas with Nemo & friends. My bad.

Oh it was right. There was a 5 minute wait... but that was 5 minutes ago.
Lies I tell you, vicious lies

Really!

Boy, times have changed from a year ago when you couldn't get anywhere near that ride unless you got your FP right at the opening of the FP window.
Sorry...a disabled FP.

::yes:: I'm thinking that was a good call.
It's nice knowing they just don't go to the resorts.

Dude. You're going to the birthplace of Dole whips... What were you thinking???
You assume I think? There's your problem right there!

Nice shot of you guys. Glad it worked out. :)
Me too. Our first DISmeet and it was wonderful meeting Caroline and Andi. There were a couple other folks down there at the same time, but our schedules didn't coincide (Or Caroline warned them off - not sure which)

Finally!

And? Which do you like better? Float or no float?
Well, the cup somewhat turns into a float by the time you get to the bottom, so I kinda had a float the day before, just a small float.

I've wondered if maybe they have some cooling inside? Like a wet neck wrap?
I would hope so. The costumes are big enough, maybe they have portable air conditioners. ;)

No way! That's cool!!
It was! I was totally blown away she'd even consider that and I was just....wow!

Sashay. Always pick sashay.
I knew you'd pick that...I tried to get PR to sashay, but she was more in a mosey mood.

No.

See? Easy.

okay, Yes.
See?

How the heck did she eat anything with glitter on her lips???
She made a comment about that at biergarten...about how all her food tasted like lipstick and glitter. Maybe I should say what little bit of food she had. Much of the lipstick and glitter was missing after lunch.

As much as I love Dole whips..... dang....

Nice of you.
I was trying to be more Canadian for your benefit.

Hmmm... I haven't made it in a while... I typically think of it as a summer time food. Maybe I should whip some up.
I consider it an any time food since it's warm vs. cold like our style of potato salad. Yummy goodness.

Boatin', Walkin', Drivin', Soarin', DISmeet and more walkin' (part 3)

After biergarten, we headed to America. I know, we're at EPCOT which is in Disney, which is in Lake Buena Vista, which is in FL, whit is in the USA, so I hear you saying you're already there! Lest I remind you, we are in Germany? We headed over and I stopped and watched my trains. I'm sure they put them there for many to enjoy, but they're MINE!!!
ep_trains1.JPG

ep_trains2.JPG
Finally, PR said we had to go. Really?? We've only been here maybe 4 hours, what's the rush? I was tempted to tell her to go back in the buffet and eat some more while I watched the trains, but I acquiesced. We moved on to the American PAVILION. Happy now? I had never heard the voices of liberty. The older couple at lunch had said it's something they always catch and I'd heard a lot of good about it from the folks here. Turns out the older couple was there also so we said hi again and they told us to go away...they'd had more than their fill of us at lunch. Wow, I have an amazing effect on people. DW and I saw Celtic woman several years ago and the Fox theatre, so we already enjoy good singing and good harmony. I was blown away by VOL. The only bad part...they were facing the other direction, so the photo is not their best side. Their final song was a tribute to military and I was expecting a montage of the theme songs from each branch. Instead, it was You'll never walk alone. This was one of the songs Celtic woman did and that was my favorite rendition. Well, Tiffins replaced biergarten and VOL replaced Celtic woman.

vol1.jpg

Do you see a trend here? Everyone keeps giving me their backside. I wonder if they're trying to tell me something.

After we left VOL, we walked around the other pavilions back future world. I wanted to ride figment. I'm not sure if PR ever had before and I thought she might enjoy it. I actually like figment. I went to EPCOT the year they opened. I was still a teenager and the WS didn't interest me at all. They didn't have many rides then and figment while silly, I thought was cool. I had a figment hat for the longest time and I recall people asking me what was on the hat and I'd cheerfully say a figment of your imagination. After calling me a jerk or moron or something equally complimentary, they'd walk away shaking their head. Never thought it could be the hat.

We stopped and watched these guys (and girls) a little bit:
jp1.JPG

I tried to do a disabled FP for Figment, but the CM didn't understand what I was saying. She said just scan the band and if it turns green, you're good. As I was attempting to explain to her we had FPs from DVC tour and I didn't want to use one of those for figment, PR scanned hers before I could stop her. I then explained again I have anytime FPs from doing the DVC tour which I didn't want to use. She told me to go speak to the guy out front. He noticed my veteran hat and thanked me for my service. I don't wear it for that reason, but it is kinda nice people are thankful now vs. hateful as they once were. He then told me his son was serving and I said thank you to him and his son. He was quite puzzled and asked why I thanked him. I said because it's a sacrifice for the whole family and not just the service member. He got the biggest smile and gave me FPs to return in 20 minutes. I think the standby was only 15, but didn't care...it gave me enough time to go BACK to guest relations to once again try to straighten out my DVC tour FPs. This may sound kinda funny, but there are times you can have too many FPs and they start messing with the wrong ones.

I don't think any of our pictures turned out and since I don't want to exceed my picture limit again, maybe for the best.

After Figment, it was finally getting late enough in the afternoon for our FPs for SE and then TT after. This was the first time we experienced the "Is this really the FP line?" question that seemed very pervasive this trip. PR kept asking me to stop saying that. I did say it a couple times, but heard it an awful lot. The FP line for SE was just as long (on the outside) as the SB line, but it did move faster and was shorter inside. We then went to our FP for SE and thanked the Phonecians for creating our alphabet. :wave: @ariane37.

One funny picture...not sure what happened with the camera on this one, but PR and I both got a kick out of how much of our faces were missing. The picture of me was fuzzy, so just showing you PR. Mine was similar, but not as bad.

se_pr.jpg

Now it's time for Test track!! I may have mentioned this already, but I like to drive fast. Test track is the closest I can get to it at Disney since they got rid of the speedway. I was sooo bummed about this because I was planning on forking over the huge amount of money to be able to drive an actual race car and then they closed it and built more parking. :sad: I don't recall how we placed overall, but I know we smoked 'em in speed. Then PR wanted me to take a picture of her in the truck. Wishful thinking...I don't even have a truck and I'm sure not going to buy you a NEW one.

Our car (well mostly PR's...I just kinda watch her do her thing - the plasma engines were my idea - I like speed!):
tt_car1.jpg

tt1.jpeg
PR after in the truck:
pr_truck.jpg
Notice, not much lipstick or glitter left? I think at one point she decided she'd had enough and went to the restroom and wiped it off.

After Test track, it was about time to head over to China for our dinner ADR. Nine Dragons. This was another new one for us. PR really enjoys Chinese food at home and really shocked me when she didn't get her favorite at home – sesame chicken. Instead, she got the ribs. I ended up getting the sesame chicken, because it was the safest for me on the menu and most of the other options didn't sound all that great to me anyway. This waiter wasn't as good as Abby, but he was really good. I'd have to find my receipt, but if I recall he got between 30 and 35%.
Outside of Nine dragons, after dinner, there was a magic show. I again tried to get some good pictures, but was only able to get one. The girl is floating in the air...
mag3.JPG
If they had Dole whips in EPCOT, I think we would've had that for dessert, but another first was calling my name. We went to Karamell Kuche. One of my favorites since when I was a kid is caramel apples with nuts, but I was also wanting to try the caramel corn. I enjoy caramel corn when it's more buttery and caramel flavored. I've had caramel corn where they either didn't have much butter or cooked it too long and it tastes more bitter. This caramel corn did not disappoint. Neither did the caramel apple. I had it cut into slices so I wouldn't break or lose a tooth trying to bite into it...it was a rather large apple. I also figured PR would want a couple of slices, but she opted for a chocolate caramel brownie. I also got a turtle type thing because, well because, anything caramel with nuts is just better. I'm not sure what I was thinking...I just went into caramel overload mode. It's a thing, really it is. Several of these items ended up coming home with us because my eyes were way bigger than our stomachs and we had so many other treats at different times, we never got to our other caramel stuff.

When we finished there, I asked PR if she wanted to do more stuff. My feet were hurting...we'd done two full circuits around WS, several trips back and forth to future world, gone to MK and walked a good bit there and my feet were just worn out. Turns out hers' were as well. She said we've ridden enough different rides and done enough other things...no need to go anymore. She has a fitbit style watch and it tracks steps. On this particular day, we were over 24K steps and she'd forgotten to start it when we first arrived, so I presume at least 3K steps were not tracked. This was the highest of all our days, but never below 20K steps on any day. Actually, we may have beaten this the next day, but it was charging for much of our day and not counting. More on that in next chapter.

I have one more pictures slot left, so kinda random...
t1.JPG
This was in the gift shop after FEA and I thought I'd get a picture with my long lost cousin.

Next up - Trains, ships, cars and more trains

It was very nice to meet you and PR, it was fun to visit and hit BTMRR with you two. We went to Tom Sawyer island after the ride, this was a first for us.

You two accomplished many things this day. I love the VOL, they are so good. I love the memory maker with AP, I make Andi stop all the time for pictures.

I like your pictures at MK with Tink before you left.

Sorry...I called it Finding Nemo, but it's officially The Seas with Nemo & friends. My bad.

Ah!

I couldn't figure it out. I knew you'd be in Future World and I kept trying to make it come out "Future Norld".

Sorry...a disabled FP.

Are those more readily available?

You assume I think? There's your problem right there!

Sorry. Of course. I didn't think.

Well, the cup somewhat turns into a float by the time you get to the bottom, so I kinda had a float the day before, just a small float.

So... if you were to order another (sorry... when you order another) which will you get? Float or no float?

I knew you'd pick that...I tried to get PR to sashay, but she was more in a mosey mood.

Kids these days.

She made a comment about that at biergarten...about how all her food tasted like lipstick and glitter. Maybe I should say what little bit of food she had. Much of the lipstick and glitter was missing after lunch.

I was trying to be more Canadian for your benefit.

I consider it an any time food since it's warm vs. cold like our style of potato salad. Yummy goodness.

I prefer it cold actually. I can make both of course... but always make the cold.

We headed over and I stopped and watched my trains. I'm sure they put them there for many to enjoy, but they're MINE!!!

Hey! Dem's fightin' words!

Finally, PR said we had to go. Really?? We've only been here maybe 4 hours, what's the rush?

Kids these days.

Didn't I just say that?

I could watch those for hours too.

I had never heard the voices of liberty.

Some day I'd love to hear them. It's on my list.

Turns out the older couple was there also so we said hi again and they told us to go away...they'd had more than their fill of us at lunch.

Smart people.

Do you see a trend here? Everyone keeps giving me their backside. I wonder if they're trying to tell me something.

They are. You're just not listening.

After we left VOL, we walked around the other pavilions back future world.

Future Norld?

I wanted to ride figment.

dude. You're too big for the little guy.

I was still a teenager and the WS didn't interest me at all.

Isn't that the way, though? You're young and... WS? Boring!
And now? It's the best part of Epcot!

We stopped and watched these guys (and girls) a little bit:
jp1-jpg.308227

They're great! I love watching them.

it is kinda nice people are thankful now vs. hateful as they once were.

Times have changed... and I'm glad they have.
Ridiculous to make that kind of sacrifice.... and then be derided for it.

He was quite puzzled and asked why I thanked him. I said because it's a sacrifice for the whole family and not just the service member. He got the biggest smile and gave me FPs to return in 20 minutes.

:goodvibes

I may have mentioned this already, but I like to drive fast.

Well let's see... you're male. Human.... yup! Meets the criteria.
(And not to be sexist, many women I know like to drive fast too!.... and some guys don't. I don't know those ones. I avoid them. Obviously something very wrong with them.)

I was sooo bummed about this because I was planning on forking over the huge amount of money to be able to drive an actual race car and then they closed it and built more parking. :sad:

Tragic. :sad2:

Notice, not much lipstick or glitter left? I think at one point she decided she'd had enough and went to the restroom and wiped it off.

Not surprised, actually.

Instead, she got the ribs. I ended up getting the sesame chicken, because it was the safest for me on the menu and most of the other options didn't sound all that great to me anyway.

How was the food? I've heard very mixed reviews.

The girl is floating in the air...
mag3-jpg.308228

Wow. Impressive.
I take it it's not actual classic magic but a strength act?

This caramel corn did not disappoint. Neither did the caramel apple.

Good to know! I've been a couple times, but neither time did I get those.

I also got a turtle type thing because, well because, anything caramel with nuts is just better.

Several of these items ended up coming home with us because my eyes were way bigger than our stomachs

:laughing: I can totally relate.

My feet were hurting...we'd done two full circuits around WS, several trips back and forth to future world, gone to MK and walked a good bit there and my feet were just worn out.

Holy crap. I'm surprised you didn't have to buy new footwear because yours were worn through!

Sorry. Which one is you?

It was very nice to meet you and PR, it was fun to visit and hit BTMRR with you two. We went to Tom Sawyer island after the ride, this was a first for us.

Cool! Glad you got a first in as well. Don't know if they still do it, but they used to have a first thing in the morning for TSI...if you could find one of the hidden candles(or lanterns), it equaled FPs for the day. This trip was a bunch of firsts for us. When I wrap up, you'll see a bunch of firsts.

You two accomplished many things this day. I love the VOL, they are so good. I love the memory maker with AP, I make Andi stop all the time for pictures.
I'm sure PR was wondering what happened to her dad. I nomrmally don't like posing for pictures at all and since its normally so expensive, I don't want to. I think she got tired of stopping so often, but she took it in stride.

I like your pictures at MK with Tink before you left.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hey! Dem's fightin' words!
In the words of the cowardly lion....Lemme at 'em, lemme at 'em, put up your dukes.

Some day I'd love to hear them. It's on my list.
Well worth it.

Smart people.
Hey!
Okay, fine, you're right.

They are. You're just not listening.
Huh? What?

Future Norld?
Yeah, back to FN. :woohoo: :rotfl2:

dude. You're too big for the little guy.
I still like him after all these years. Figment was my sole memory of EPCOT for many years and still the fondest.

Isn't that the way, though? You're young and... WS? Boring!
And now? It's the best part of Epcot!
I'm not much into shopping and certain countries interest me much more than others, so there are still aspects of WS I like less than others, but way more than when I was young.

Times have changed... and I'm glad they have.
Ridiculous to make that kind of sacrifice.... and then be derided for it.
I don't know how Canada felt about or reacted to Viet Nam, but I've always gone out of my way to shake the hand of and salute any Viet Nam vet I've come across. They were doing what their country told them to do and fighting a war that was impossible to win given the restrictions put on them. They served their country and followed orders and got spat (and substitute an h for the p as well) upon. I know we can't undo the past, but they never got the recognition they deserved.

How was the food? I've heard very mixed reviews.
It was okay. Not the best Chinese I"ve ever had, but definitely not the worst either. Given the limited selection and the price, I won't be chomping at the bit to go back.

Wow. Impressive.
I take it it's not actual classic magic but a strength act?
No...I think I just happened to snap the picture when he was starting to have her stand back up.

Good to know! I've been a couple times, but neither time did I get those.
Both excellent. The turtle was only so so. I mean I like chocolate, caramel and pecans, but the balance was just off I think.

Holy crap. I'm surprised you didn't have to buy new footwear because yours were worn through!
I was considering foot transplant surgery not new shoes. ;)

Sorry. Which one is you?
I look at the picture and I can't tell either. Take yer pick.
I'm the one with the big eyes, toothy smil and big nose. Does that help?

Last edited:
One at a time, since I need to start dinner soon...

(yes I, it was a unilateral decision)

Those are the best kinds of decisions when planning a Disney trip.

but Olaf makes the movie.

Yes.

I sauntered down to Beachclub Bakery.

The best way to get around at Disney!

I LOVE that view. So pretty and peaceful. Another of my favorite areas at WDW!

Oh, that is really yummy looking! I think that's what I might choose given another chance to eat from the bakery.

She didn't want to get up...teenage girl, wow, big surprise.

:lmao:

Stunning!!

I liked the old one better.

Me too, by a long shot. Like you, I get it, but they sucked at the filming.

CM for the return time, he asked me do you want to go now?

Score!!! Nice!

Definitely not time for moseying, sashaying

There is a season under the (hot, Florida) sun for everything.

Our first stop was the Polynesian and I had to resist the strong urge to go for Dole whips. I struggled with Dole whips or DISmeet.

This urge is legit.
got our picture taken by a nice soul (fellow veteran :yay:).

Love our Vets!!!!! :worship:

She really said she'd enjoy that,

That's better. :)

Neither of us could finish our dole whip float.

I can never finish mine either. In fact, I can usually share one with a kid or two.

Awwww! Nice shot of you 2.

This is where we experienced the least helpful and the most helpful CMs in the span of 5 minutes.

Wow! It's like Africa vs. Disney! ;)

talk to my manager and we'll see what we can do. Shortly after, the person in charge of the ride...can't for the life of me remember her name, but she was great. Just stand over here sir and when she gets off, we'll just let her ride again. Score! I told her I appreciated it so much and I can imagine she has a lot to watch, so I thanked her profusely for allowing PR to ride twice and not forcing me. She sat there and talked to me the whole time. I mentioned I'm in IT. She got a grin on her face and said follow me. She opened a door that said CM only and show me their control center for FEA. As a geek, I was like, wow and totally didn't even think about the camera. It was cool to see and I thanked her again. I literally was so surprised and thrilled I got to see geeky stuff, I completely forgot to get her name. I've seen many control centers in my career, but I've never seen a Disney ride control center!!!

Okay, that right there is a VERY cool Disney Magic story! How coolio!

it was okay. Not a contest question, but a rhetorical question...your youngest daughter asks daddy, can I get my face painted please? What would be your answer. Well, I can't speak for you, but I'm not sure she even had the opportunity to say please and I said sure baby. According to DW, PR has me wrapped around her little finger. I don't agree, but when we're at Disney, it's fun time. Okay, so maybe she does. Sheesh, tough crowd.

Actually, this is something I myself have wanted to do for quite awhile. Hmmm... I may indulge on my next visit. And yes, Disney is 100% the place to say YES!

More room for brats and potato salad and schnitzel.

Oh yeah, Baby! This is my kind of eatin'!

Unfortunately, this was the second buffet where PR wasted my money.

Yeah, we just don't do them anymore. My kids are older, but still eat pretty small portions. Just not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter