Spring Planting 2014

We started our seedlings a couple weeks ago, so here's what we have going this year:

-kale
-butter lettuce (aka bibb lettuce)
-roma tomatoes
-beefsteak tomatoes
-bell peppers
-banana peppers
-garlic chives
-green onion
-spinach
-squash
-zucchini
-cilantro
-basil

This is our first year, so there's a lot of trial & error, but we're hopeful. We have the seedlings started in pots, and will hopefully transplant to raised beds once they've grown a bit. So far, the kale has sprouted the most (nearly an inch and a half tall after only 10 days!), with the others following close behind, and the banana peppers have yet to sprout.

Well, I picked my toy choy last week. Must say it didn't produce enough to make it worthwhile to plant again. However, we did enjoy it so I believe I will just try some bok choy seed next season. Has anyone else had success growing bok choy?

Oh and this is the first year I have grown carrots. How can you tell when they are ready to harvest?

I had planted bok choy many of times and we enjoy it. Not sure how the bug situation is for you Heather but the bugs here enjoy eating through the leaves.

What is the difference betweek bok choy and toy choy?

I had planted bok choy many of times and we enjoy it. Not sure how the bug situation is for you Heather but the bugs here enjoy eating through the leaves.

What is the difference betweek bok choy and toy choy?

The difference isn't much. The toy choy has smaller leaves and is ready to harvest within 30 days of planting. SO Extremely Fast Grower! In fact, it starts to seed out at around 40 days after planting. The leaves are very tender with a delicate taste. My family and I enjoyed the leaves in a tofu stirfry. I think its meant for you to plant ever 15 days so you are able to keep a fresh supply of bok choy (very similar planting as a continuous lettuce crop would be). It would be very easy to plant toy choy in containers instead of a traditional garden bed.

The difference isn't much. The toy choy has smaller leaves and is ready to harvest within 30 days of planting. SO Extremely Fast Grower! In fact, it starts to seed out at around 40 days after planting. The leaves are very tender with a delicate taste. My family and I enjoyed the leaves in a tofu stirfry. I think its meant for you to plant ever 15 days so you are able to keep a fresh supply of bok choy (very similar planting as a continuous lettuce crop would be). It would be very easy to plant toy choy in containers instead of a traditional garden bed.

Will have to be on the look out for toy choy seeds. I want to try them out.

Well the rabbits made short work of my garden. I have never had an issue with rabbits before, but they got my lettuce, carrots, squash and beets. UGH! Such a huge failure. So now, I have to find away to fix this before I plant this Fall. Does anyone have a solution that worked for them? I don't want to be Farmer McGregor!

We are harvesting zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes right now! There are a few Bell peppers, but I will wait until they get larger, we enjoy stuffed peppers. Our basil and dill are the best herbs, parsley is not thriving, do not know why.

It's a good, delicious harvest this year! Hopefully our last summer in Ohio....we are trying to sell our house and move to FL, but we will be snowbirds, my vegetable garden will be a small one, in NJ.

Bobbi:)

Just to confuse everyone.....it's spring here! ::yes::

But I thought I'd come back and share my winter produce.

You may recall I grew cabbage, lettuce.....

....snow peas...

...carrots....

We also grew kale and broccoli.

The vegetable patch wasn't big; this was the east side of the garden and its the side of the garden that gets the most winter sun.

We were cropping lettuce and kale for a couple of months.

The kale is still growing strong. That's about 4 months worth of kale and I think I'll grow it again.

The carrots didn't fare so well.

Contrary to appearances, they have grown knobly and in all directions.

The cabbage are great. I put 6 plants in and we've been enjoying them.

The snow peas were really prolific this season. We've had decent and consistent cropping for the last 2 months.

We also had success with the broccoli. After the first cropping, the second sprout was plentiful.

It's been a decent season this year.

What next?

I'm hoping to put some zucchini, tomatoes and lettuce (at least) for the warmer months.

princess::upsidedow

Wow! Nice pictures!

I was surprised that carrots grew in colder weather. I also have only been successful growing knobby carrots in the past. I've given up trying.

Oh I am so jealous of your winter crop!
My efforts for a garden just keep failing. If I could just get it in, it would be fine but I have very little time for the prep work.
And now we are up to our eyeballs city chopping fire wood for winter. I don't want to be out there in November and December trying to split wood.
Hopefully the fall weather will hold and I can at least prep some ground for a spring planting. Or I may just break down and do everything in planters. DH knows how to plant tomatoes in hay bales so I may buy some bales from my neighbor.

Thanks! I was surprised at how the winter veg blossomed as well.

I need to start thinking about the spring/summer vegetable garden soon. The weather is starting to get nice and warm here and I can see blossoms and buds on the fruit trees.

Springtime in the Southern Hemisphere!

Well....I planted out my vegetables in the garden yesterday. 2 varieties of lettuce, 4 tomato plants, 2 zucchini seedlings, some squash, 1 x eggplant, 6 x bell peppers and basil. Hoping to be cropping lettuce by Christmas.

The cherry tree is also looking reasonable; as is the mulberry. We netted them up a couple of weekends ago; so the birds are not happy with us.

I got them planted before it rained last night. The first real rain we've had this spring. We had 35 mm fall overnight. Nice steady consistent rain.
The rain will be a fantastic kick-start for them. :thumbsup2

From my garden at the weekend.

The cherry tree.

I picked 3 containers full like this!

Here we go round the mulberry tree.

They need to be black before I'll pick them.

The flower bed next to the entrance. I put in petunias in the front and oak leaf lettuce....

....and squash.

In a different flower bed, on the east side of the house.

The zucchini is coming along.

And along the west side....we are cropping the coslettuce and the tomatoes are flowering.

Still along the west side...the story here is looking great. I'm starting to see capsicum and eggplant forming; and there are flowers on the snow peas.

Princess, I am sooo jealous of your garden, and of the trees. Can I come over, and harvest cherries from your tree :goodvibes

I just thought I'd update this thread with the crop we've been picking the last 2 weeks or so.

Zucchini and squash are starting to produce now. This was the first of the cropping for these plants. The snowpeas were the last I've gotten for the last 2 weeks. It then got hot and I don't know if I'm going to get any more out of them. We'll see how it goes. I've also be trading the snowpeas with the beans with my neighbour. Bartering has been working well on a 1:1 basis.

The little tomatoes are also starting to produce their bounty. I'm getting half a dozen or so every couple of days. I think I'm picking about 3 or 4 zucchini every 5 days or so; and 2 - 3 squash every week.

I also planted capsicum. The standard variety are still growing but these long ones are ready. I'm getting about 3 or 4 per week so far.

The coslettuce has given us good harvest as well. But it's just about at the end of them....they are starting to shoot out for flowering. So, I've pretty much cropped it all. We've put down green lettuce. Hopefully, it doesn't get too hot.

I planted the big tomatoes late. Sadly, they aren't ready yet and I'm having to rely on the ones from my neighbour kinda sorta overhanging my way.

I've also gotten one eggplant picked so far. Its also starting to be ready for cropping. I'll probably get some pictures of them next time.

I'm so thankful that it hasn't been a super hot hot summer so far. Otherwise, my garden would be toast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!