Spring planting begins!

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
OK, just planted some basil seeds in a pot by my kitchen window. I hope it will be a nice size when the time to plant it is here! I'll start some tomato seeds later this week, again inside.

Is anyone else planning their vegetable garden now?

Bobbi:flower3:

I am doing my first square foot garden this year. Yesterday I started 100 veg seeds indoors.:thumbsup2. What r u growing?

I am doing my first square foot garden this year. Yesterday I started 100 veg seeds indoors.:thumbsup2. What r u growing?

I hope yours is doing better than mine! We've had very dry conditions, and I've been away too much. I've a few cucumbers and basil. Haven't harvested anything else, pumpkin and zuchinni plants have died.

Still learning to garden in FL. Hoping my fall gardening will go better as far as tomatoes are concerned. ;) Summers are too darn hot & humid for tomatoes, I guess.

Got lots of cucumbers this spring - enough for refrigerator pickles, which was a surprise as this was my 1st time growing cukes. My herbs are overflowing and sweet peppers are still going strong. Just started some fall tomato & cucumber seeds a few weeks ago so it remains to be seen if I can harvest anything before it freezes.

I have basil and parsley growing in my kitchen. I'll plant them outside when it's warmer!:goodvibes

It has been raining here almost every day, so the weeds are growing nicely. The rain had damaged my tomatoes, and most of my sunflowers that were blooming at the time :(. But my marigolds, and basils are growing nicely.

Thought I would join in yall's gardening group.

Back in early May, I planted corn, peppers, tomatoes, four types of squash and princess pumpkins. We had great weather for almost 2 solid months. My squash and pumpkins were producing like crazy. However, the tomatoes and peppers just weren't doing anything. Then it started to rain and rain and rain. It has rained almost everyday for 3 weeks. Sometimes its just a 5 minute shower but other times its an all day torrential downpour.

Now my squash blooms are rotting on the vine (too humid and rainy), the corn is doing wonderful, the pumpkins are trying to ripen, the tomatoes started to make but they are just little tomato nubs and the pepper plants never even developed into a full plant.

I use a homemade pesticide and for the most part I haven't had any issues with bugs -- until last week, when the squash bugs found what was left of my patty squash.

I'm hoping my Fall garden will do better. Plan to get it started in about 3 more weeks. Are ya'll planting this Fall?

Thought I would join in yall's gardening group.

Back in early May, I planted corn, peppers, tomatoes, four types of squash and princess pumpkins. We had great weather for almost 2 solid months. My squash and pumpkins were producing like crazy. However, the tomatoes and peppers just weren't doing anything. Then it started to rain and rain and rain. It has rained almost everyday for 3 weeks. Sometimes its just a 5 minute shower but other times its an all day torrential downpour.

Now my squash blooms are rotting on the vine (too humid and rainy), the corn is doing wonderful, the pumpkins are trying to ripen, the tomatoes started to make but they are just little tomato nubs and the pepper plants never even developed into a full plant.

I use a homemade pesticide and for the most part I haven't had any issues with bugs -- until last week, when the squash bugs found what was left of my patty squash.

I'm hoping my Fall garden will do better. Plan to get it started in about 3 more weeks. Are ya'll planting this Fall?

Hi!

I have good news. My raspberry plants produced while I was away and I told a neighbor to help herself. She did, but she also froze 2 quart bags of raspberries for me! She's a good friend!!!

Up here, we've had rain for much of the 3 1/2 weeks that I've been away, the zucchini plant is thriving but no fruit yet, but there are small tomatoes and the pepper plants have flowers!

I do not plant a fall crop, the summer things usually last through some of September. However, now that I'm home, I have to cut back the raspberries, hopefully we will get a fall crop, but that depends on when the first frost is.

Welcome!

Bobbi

Hi!

I have good news. My raspberry plants produced while I was away and I told a neighbor to help herself. She did, but she also froze 2 quart bags of raspberries for me! She's a good friend!!!

Up here, we've had rain for much of the 3 1/2 weeks that I've been away, the zucchini plant is thriving but no fruit yet, but there are small tomatoes and the pepper plants have flowers!

I do not plant a fall crop, the summer things usually last through some of September. However, now that I'm home, I have to cut back the raspberries, hopefully we will get a fall crop, but that depends on when the first frost is.

Welcome!

Bobbi

Thank you Bobbie for the welcome. I did have a bumper crop of volunteer blackberries and sour cherries. In fact, I put up 25 pints of sour cherry jelly and 9 pints of blackberry jelly. SO good!

I have never had a raspberries - are they tart like blueberries?

Hi Heather!

Sounds like both of your gardens are doing very well. The rain had gotten my sunflowers again. But, last week I had seen a cardinal eating the seeds from my sunflowers, and it made me happy knowing that I was giving a bird a yummy treat. Our giant pumpkin did not make it :( boo hoo. We were hoping to at least carve it for Halloween. It cracked on the bottom, and it started to shrink. The vine does have a couple more new flowers, so hoping a pumpkin grows from at least one of those flowers.

Hi Heather!

Sounds like both of your gardens are doing very well. The rain had gotten my sunflowers again. But, last week I had seen a cardinal eating the seeds from my sunflowers, and it made me happy knowing that I was giving a bird a yummy treat. Our giant pumpkin did not make it :( boo hoo. We were hoping to at least carve it for Halloween. It cracked on the bottom, and it started to shrink. The vine does have a couple more new flowers, so hoping a pumpkin grows from at least one of those flowers.

Oh, I would love to draw birds closer to the house. I have beautiful pine warblers in the pines and the occassional bluebird but for the most part nothing except for mockingbirds. My barn cats eat my birds! I have developed a love hate relationship with my cats. We live smack dab in the middle of 10 acres of woods and I need the cats for mice and snake control. Unfortunately, they also provide bird control. So I'm a little jealous of those that get to have bird feeders and birdhouses that actually get used.

Sorry to hear about your pumpkin. Hopefully, you will get a few more growing on the vine. I have got roughly 30 princess pumpkins on the vine but with all this rain there is a good chance they may rot before their ready. In fact, we got another 2inches yesterday. That has us up to 9 inches of rain in 3 weeks. I haven't had to water my garden in over a month.

To me, blueberries are much sweeter than raspberries. Raspberries are a little tart, I love them both!

Heather, I can understand why you need your cats! I guess you just have to enjoy the birds you see in the wild. I would love to see a pine warbler!

I am sitting outside, by my pond, and there was just a commotion as 3 hummingbirds were vying for the same flower! They were all angry. I see one small fish in the pond, so new life, but the frog that wintered in here seems to e gone. I guess he/she went a courting!

To me, blueberries are much sweeter than raspberries. Raspberries are a little tart, I love them both!

Heather, I can understand why you need your cats! I guess you just have to enjoy the birds you see in the wild. I would love to see a pine warbler!

I am sitting outside, by my pond, and there was just a commotion as 3 hummingbirds were vying for the same flower! They were all angry. I see one small fish in the pond, so new life, but the frog that wintered in here seems to e gone. I guess he/she went a courting!

The pine warblers are beautiful, such a vibrant color of yellow and green. The mockingbirds are the only ones brave enough to take on my cats. (Mean birds) I have wondered if I could have hummingbirds -- they move so fast and I know the feeders are usually high off the ground. Maybe I will give them a try. I just don't want to serve birds up to my cats like a buffet.

I probably will stay away from raspberries then. I find blueberries tart so I can't imagine eating something that is tarter than them.

Zucchini and cucumbers are the first to be picked!:thumbsup2

Anyone else?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!