Springtime surprise Mornings/transportation

Mish415

Earning My Ears
Hi All! I have never bene to Disney during a race and I am hoping all you experts can help me out. We are only visiting the parks TWO days for my 40th Birthday.

Those days are the exact race days and I did not realize. We are going to AK (then hop to MK) on 4/14, and Epcot on 4/15. We are staying at Boardwalk so I am not worried about EPCOT for myself much but we have family staying offsite. I also heard AK is the hardest to get to. Its a 5K that day I believe? Which someone thought may wrap earlier? I honestly have no idea what to expect of Roads. are they BLOCKED totally? No one can get to any parks??? or just slow due to traffic?

Can anyone help me with that the biggest challenges I need to worry about are?

1.Getting to AK early on 4/14 - we are only spending a 1/2 day, waiting until late would be an unfortunate option.
2.Getting my family from offsite to EPCOT on 4/15
3. Will the actual races affect Epcot at all in the AM?

Thank you so much!

Firstly: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIP!

We don't know what the course will be for the SS races at this point. We can *guess* that they may be the same as last year, but since last year's 5k was a NIGHT race, and themed around EE, and this year is PIXAR (Cars) themed, there's a good chance that they will not use that course again. The races usually start and end in the Epcot parking lot and the 10k usually runs through epcot and occasionally through the edge of HS and around the Epcot resort lake (Beach/Yatch, Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk lake area.) But again. We don't know what the course maps look like yet. Disney has also historically used a course for a different weekend that starts at the TTC and ends in the Epcot parking lot, and there's a chance that could get cycled in to the SS weekend. But we don't and won't know until probably 2 weeks before the race weekend.

Additionally:
Rundisney races begin at 5am, with the last runners usually crossing the start line at 6am. There is a 16min/mi pace requirement based on these last runners, and those who fall behind are removed from the course at various points. That means that on Saturday, the 10k will be wrapping up by 7:40am. On Sunday the 10mi run should be finishing up by 8:40am.

Disney does have ways to get people in and out of the parks, but sometimes there are temporary road closures (other routes are used that usually have fewer lands) and there can be some traffic backups. This past race weekend ("Marathon Weekend") has the most impact since it is the only weekend to include a full marathon and the last finishers come in at 1pm. Springtime Surprise should have much less impact on your trip, and likely no impact at all.

Last edited:
Firstly: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIP!

We don't know what the course will be for the SS races at this point. We can *guess* that they may be the same as last year, but since last year's 5k was a NIGHT race, and themed around EE, and this year is PIXAR (Cars) themed, there's a good chance that they will not use that course again. The races usually start and end in the Epcot parking lot and the 10k usually runs through epcot and occasionally through the edge of HS and around the Epcot resort lake (Beach/Yatch, Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk lake area.) But again. We don't know what the course maps look like yet. Disney has also historically used a course for a different weekend that starts at the TTC and ends in the Epcot parking lot, and there's a chance that could get cycled in to the SS weekend. But we don't and won't know until probably 2 weeks before the race weekend.

Additionally:
Rundisney races begin at 5am, with the last runners usually crossing the start line at 6am. There is a 16min/mi pace requirement based on these last runners, and those who fall behind are removed from the course at various points. That means that on Saturday, the 10k will be wrapping up by 7:40am. On Sunday the 10mi run should be finishing up by 8:40am.

Disney does have ways to get people in and out of the parks, but sometimes there are temporary road closures (other routes are used that usually have fewer lands) and there can be some traffic backups. This past race weekend ("Marathon Weekend") has the most impact since it is the only weekend to include a full marathon and the last finishers come in at 1pm. Springtime Surprise should have much less impact on your trip, and likely no impact at all.
Wow I had no idea it was such a mystery! Thank you so much for your reply! I will keep an eye on things and hope for the best!

The 14th you probably shouldn’t have issue heading to DAK …
With that it depends on the following
A) if you were heading there for ropedrop
B) if you have to physically cross the boardwalk area to get to busses
C) if the course is Epcot/DHS or just Epcot…
Usually I’m on the bus or already back at my hotel post 10k by 8am ish and I’m a back of the pack runner fwiw

The 15th it depends on the course if it hits the crescent lake area early on you should be good if not there may be busses running to Epcot vs heading into the international gateway by foot

The 14th you probably shouldn’t have issue heading to DAK …
With that it depends on the following
A) if you were heading there for ropedrop
B) if you have to physically cross the boardwalk area to get to busses
C) if the course is Epcot/DHS or just Epcot…
Usually I’m on the bus or already back at my hotel post 10k by 8am ish and I’m a back of the pack runner fwiw

The 15th it depends on the course if it hits the crescent lake area early on you should be good if not there may be busses running to Epcot vs heading into the international gateway by foot
Hey there! Thanks for the reply and sorry for my huge delay in seeing it ;)

A) I did plan to rope drop.
B) I would open to using the busses, or driving from boardwalk.
I am going to keep on eye on what happens w/ the february races and what they will decide for the course? Its our only 2 days so I have to figure this out! Thank you!

Thank you!

Hey there! Thanks for the reply and sorry for my huge delay in seeing it ;)

A) I did plan to rope drop.
B) I would open to using the busses, or driving from boardwalk.
I am going to keep on eye on what happens w/ the february races and what they will decide for the course? Its our only 2 days so I have to figure this out! Thank you!

Thank you!
Typically the 5K is standard for all runDisney races and its early enough and short enough to have basically no impact on any sort of rope dropping. The 10K (most likely) and 10-Miler course though for Springtime will differ Princess here in February. Normally runDisney uses the same courses for Marathon Weekend and Princess and then slightly different ones for Wine & Dine and Springtime. Springtime is sort of an outlier though so far because it is a 10-miler course which is the only time runDisney does that distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter