SSR - High Speed Internet

Wireless is much slower than cable internet. I was at a Marriott in CT this week and they had wireless, it was only 11 mbps rather than 100 mbps you can get with cable in hotels. My company VPN kept disconnecting. They charged $9.95 per night (no option to stagger the 24 periods, it was a per night charge), but that did include free local and domestic long distance calls.

Farmington or Hartford?

I'm going to assume Hartford, simply because of your report. I've had the SAME issue with their wireless and my VPN cutting out yet, strangely, seem to have no problems in Farmington.

I think their equipment stinks. :)

Is there any place on Disney property with wireless access? I thought there was.....

Most of the convention hotesl (Contemp, BC/YC, CSR, etc) offer areas with wireless access (mostly public space) BUT you're still paying the 9.95 per day fee.

We are the ownersso we need to say give us free internet.You get it free staying at a $29.00 hotel so why can't we who together pay into the high millions get it also free of charge.Again we are the owners aren't we?

1) When we go to DVC and WDW, we don't go for work.
2) We do not take a computer, nor do we access one.
3) Why should we pay for those who want to use a computer?
4) We say, if you want it, pay for it individually.
5) I think others who don't use computers on vacation feel the same way.

Farmington or Hartford?

I'm going to assume Hartford, simply because of your report. I've had the SAME issue with their wireless and my VPN cutting out yet, strangely, seem to have no problems in Farmington.

I think their equipment stinks. :)

Day Hill Road, Windsor

Day Hill Road, Windsor

Yikes. I've never stayed there......

I've worked around that area, (Griffin Land and Nurseries, Imperial Nurseries HQ is near by and when they had service centers, I did PC support for that center), though. I can't say I'm shocked by your report. :)

Wireless is much slower than cable internet. I was at a Marriott in CT this week and they had wireless, it was only 11 mbps rather than 100 mbps you can get with cable in hotels. My company VPN kept disconnecting. They charged $9.95 per night (no option to stagger the 24 periods, it was a per night charge), but that did include free local and domestic long distance calls.

11 or 100 mbps is link speed between you and the hub/ap. It really has no bearing on the up link speed. Uplink speed tends to be the bottom line slowest part. Due to Content Delivery Networks like Akamai. Unless there is some local resource, like a file server.

It's true 802.11b/g is shared media, so a lot of active users might slow you down some. But I doubt they have a 10mbps uplink. My guess would be something in the 1-3mbps range, or a shared cable connection at 6-8mbps.

Johno

I've paid $9.95 per day (or more) for internet access at some of the nicest hotels in California. Free internet is usually a way for a mid-range hotel to attract customers.

I don't usually use internet access while I'm on vacation in WDW. I will have to next month though because I am taking online courses toward my Masters degree. I won't mind paying the access fee because I know most vacationer don't use the access and shouldn't be required to pay the fee for the minority of people who do want to use the service. I think its great that Disney recognizes that some people really do not the access and has found a way to provide it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter