SSR resale prices

He told me last night just to buy the total we want direct for SSR or OKW and skip the resale/direct hybrid. I'm not ready for that yet - still hopeful that one of these contracts will go below $105! :confused3

Make sure if you buy OKW, it is the extended expiration date. OKW points per room are fantastic use of points. Rooms are also pretty large.

SSR is a great value in terms of price and point use and Disney Springs is awesome.

25 points gets you in but they don't sell 25 direct. just pay higher on a 25 resale and take transfer points at $12-15 resort depending. Granted transfer points pricing may increase but for the next year or so it would at least give some time to see if market would depreciate as it has in the past.

With transfer points you own them for the year and can do what you want with them till they expire at end of uy or bank them. Figure the points always cost the mf's. So at $12/point that includes mfs. you are renting points at about $6/point above what they would cost if you owed them for the next 23-50 years.

I think this is excellent strategy, but fresh 11 month points will cost a MINIMUM of $15pp for transfers and may go even higher for CCV, Poly, VGF, VGC. Distressed points that are about to expire are much cheaper, but your options to use them are limited too.

With transfers, make sure to verify the DVC home resort and use year (and specifically the expiration date) before making any deals.

Make sure if you buy OKW, it is the extended expiration date. OKW points per room are fantastic use of points. Rooms are also pretty large.

SSR is a great value in terms of price and point use and Disney Springs is awesome.

I think this is excellent strategy, but fresh 11 month points will cost a MINIMUM of $15pp for transfers and may go even higher for CCV, Poly, VGF, VGC. Distressed points that are about to expire are much cheaper, but your options to use them are limited too.

With transfers, make sure to verify the DVC home resort and use year (and specifically the expiration date) before making any deals.
Idk. I get emails daily from one of the board sponsors for $15/point. I see them advertised regularly for $14 for Aulani, blt... on another site transfer only board. I've taken several transfers and never paid over $12/point for fresh points. You can take any uy month and resort. Just have to call in for reservation instead of online booking if uy doesn't match your own. Only critical time that would make a difference is with AKV value and club level. It's a very simple process for both owners. No managing someone else's reservation. That is probably why so many people will only transfer their points instead of renting them out for a little more per point. One simple phone call a year and all points are sold.

Just an option at the sticker shock on resale contracts and a way to get points at a huge discount over traditional points rental until market slows down on resale.

With the high resale and direct pricing it seems risky to me to purchase a larger contract right now on resale market.

25 points gets you in but they don't sell 25 direct. just pay higher on a 25 resale and take transfer points at $12-15 resort depending. Granted transfer points pricing may increase but for the next year or so it would at least give some time to see if market would depreciate as it has in the past.

25 resale at tops $3500-$4000 out of pocket and then another $2k for a transfer sounds much less expensive than $22k plus mf's to, "own" the points.

It just seems like a MUCH less expensive way to vacation right now for someone getting into the game.

With transfer points you own them for the year and can do what you want with them till they expire at end of uy or bank them. Figure the points always cost the mf's. So at $12/point that includes mfs. you are renting points at about $6/point above what they would cost if you owed them for the next 23-50 years.

Yes, but if you just rented them outright you would save yourself the hassle of paying the upfront cost, paying your yearly dues, and then finding someone to transfer just the right amount of points to get your reservation -25 points. You also are burdening yourself with 23-50 years of ownership of a small amount of points, unsure of what the rental market would look like in the future. All this to get yourself what? A guaranteed night at SSR during the summer?
I am not saying that it is impossible that somebody could be thinking this way, just that it is a bad idea. When it comes to that sort of ownership, I say either "go or get off the pot". Rent or own, but don't try this kind of hybrid, especially when paying more than direct prices to get into it.

A 25 point contract exceeding direct pricing makes sense just because someone wanting to be a member can't purchase direct for 25.

With pricing at what it currently is, I think if I was looking to enter dvc today and was facing these direct and resale prices I'd purchase 25 resale and then get transfer points annually for whatever resort I wanted. Figure at $14/point transfer cost it's really only costing about $7 or $8/a point extra after mf's.

Ok, but you can buy 50 direct for almost all resorts (possibly all if you push enough) so, if you're paying more than direct on 25, why wouldn't you just buy 50 direct? What are you really hoping prices will get down to? I mean even a savings of $30/pt @ 25 pts is only $750. Most people can save that on AP's or other discounts.

I do think transfer points is a good strategy. I bought small until I see how I'm really going to use my membership. Basically, I'll be buying transfer points as long as the kids keep vacationing with us or (if we realize they'll always be with us plus adding some grandkids:scared:) until we add on.

Yes, but if you just rented them outright you would save yourself the hassle of paying the upfront cost, paying your yearly dues, and then finding someone to transfer just the right amount of points to get your reservation -25 points. You also are burdening yourself with 23-50 years of ownership of a small amount of points, unsure of what the rental market would look like in the future. All this to get yourself what? A guaranteed night at SSR during the summer?
I am not saying that it is impossible that somebody could be thinking this way, just that it is a bad idea. When it comes to that sort of ownership, I say either "go or get off the pot". Rent or own, but don't try this kind of hybrid, especially when paying more than direct prices to get into it.

You don't pay monthly dues for transfer points. The owner does. So a transfer at $12/point is all that you pay. The points are then yours to use or bank depending how fresh they are at whatever home resort you want for the year or two.

Markets turn around and when they do ssr price will too. I guess I'd just rather pay a couple hundred too much for a 25 point resale compared to the thousands extra on the high priced resales right now.

I'm not saying paying over retail is the way to go. But near retail for 25 points right now seems the least expensive way to enter dvc and test out system while waiting for resale pricing to go down a little.

You don't pay monthly dues for transfer points. The owner does. So a transfer at $12/point is all that you pay. The points are then yours to use or bank depending how fresh they are at whatever home resort you want for the year or two.

Markets turn around and when they do ssr price will too. I guess I'd just rather pay a couple hundred too much for a 25 point resale compared to the thousands extra on the high priced resales right now.

I'm not saying paying over retail is the way to go. But near retail for 25 points right now seems the least expensive way to enter dvc and test out system while waiting for resale pricing to go down a little.

But you are paying monthly dues. You're just paying someone else's. For every $12/point you're paying for SSR, $5.60 will go towards the owner's dues. Someone renting you 100 points, will use the $1200 you pay them, and pay off their $560 annual dues, and then put the rest in their pocket.

If you are able to get a transfer of $12 pp then you are getting a great deal and if you only vacation in the first part of the year then you shouldn't have trouble getting a decent reservation at 7 months. i've been renting the points I can't use and there is noway I would ever rent or transfer for $12pp. I do however rent at $18 without problems as renters still save 50% compared directly with Disney. Assuming they go for a studio.

I win! Found a 100pt SSR contract for $150/pt! Not a typo! With no banked or 2017 points. What is this resale market you all speak of? This newbie is scared!

I like the unique approach that you brought to light here. It is a not a method that I had seen mentioned anywhere until last night. However, if a friend or family member of mine really wanted to do this, there would be too many red flags for me to not speak up.
1. If you do not have the money upfront to purchase the points that you would want, I would not recommend buying in at all. This is especially true if you only have the $3000 to buy that small of an amount of points upfront. There are many moderate and value hotels, as well as off property, that are a much better financial deal than DVC.
2. You are singing up for a contract that you only have partial control of. If the rental/transfer market takes off, you are still locked into paying those prices, as you don't really have enough to use on your own.
3. If you are going to buy in, get the best price per point that you can. In this particular case, it would actually make more sense to finance the purchase of 50 direct points. You at least get the membership extras this way, and probably a cheaper price per point even after the financing.

When I consider financing direct to be the better route, it shows how strongly I do not like this plan. If somebody else wants to sign up for it, that's their call, just not something I would consider wise.

I win! Found a 100pt SSR contract for $150/pt! Not a typo! With no banked or 2017 points. What is this resale market you all speak of? This newbie is scared!

You should try offering $100 and see how low they are willing to go. It could just be really wishful listing prices. Doesn't cost you anything to check and find out.

A 25 point contract exceeding direct pricing makes sense just because someone wanting to be a member can't purchase direct for 25.

With pricing at what it currently is, I think if I was looking to enter dvc today and was facing these direct and resale prices I'd purchase 25 resale and then get transfer points annually for whatever resort I wanted. Figure at $14/point transfer cost it's really only costing about $7 or $8/a point extra after mf's.

This is true now, but I don't think transfer rules are fixed in the contract so they might change. I'm buying Hapimag resale (the timeshare that invented the point system) and they have a rule for transfer: you can only transfer in a maximum of points equal to the points you own. Since I'm buying 60 points, I'll be able to transfer in 60 points per year.
I think at the moment the number of transactions for transfers is so small that Disney doesn't worry at all. But if this strategy becames more mainstream, then Disney could change the rules.

I would NEVER NEVER transfer points for $12pp as that is WAY TOO LOW.

I would transfer at $15pp or more, depending on the resort.

Also, according to DVC: “Club Members are expressly prohibited from receiving compensation for engaging in any Transfer activity.” Realistically, there are many people engaging in this very action with their DVC points. We wouldn’t recommend mentioning any financial terms in conversations with DVC. There is little DVC can do to truly investigate the nature of a transfer, and the enforce ability of this clause is certainly open to debate.

Saw two SSR today that are 26 and 33 points each nothing till later in 2018. $125 a point. After you figure in closing costs its more then buying direct.

I'm still having trouble seeing how that BCV scenario could play out in the real-world. To me, the resale market works because the savings are significant (in most cases).

The concept would be exactly the same as scalping a hard to get ticket for above face value.

If Disney is unable to snag any contracts via ROFR or foreclosure for BCV, then they have no supply...however, demand is still there. At some point, someone might get sick of waiting for a direct purchase and jump on a resale purchase at $170 a point.

Direct prices normally act as a ceiling on resale prices -- but if there is no supply via direct, then the ceiling can be broken. Same thing happens with concert tickets. As long as tickets are available from the box office, the equivalent ticket will sell for less on the secondary market...but once that concert sells out, the face value (e.g., DVC direct pricing) has no bearing on the pricing since it is no longer an alternative, which means the prices will go up up up.

Saw two SSR today that are 26 and 33 points each nothing till later in 2018. $125 a point. After you figure in closing costs its more then buying direct.

Was coming to post the same thing. Fwiw, I put in an offer on 2 of them combined. Nope, owner only wants full asking price right now. Thank you. Have a nice day. There are 4 contracts total. Other 2 are 37 & 38 points, nothing available til 2018, $125/point as well. I've got to find some new resale companies to look at bc nothing at this one is under $110-115/point.

Was coming to post the same thing. Fwiw, I put in an offer on 2 of them combined. Nope, owner only wants full asking price right now. Thank you. Have a nice day. There are 4 contracts total. Other 2 are 37 & 38 points, nothing available til 2018, $125/point as well. I've got to find some new resale companies to look at bc nothing at this one is under $110-115/point.

Can I ask where you're looking? We're in (almost) the same boat as you. Have been stalking the SSR resales for awhile now, ready to contact brokers/start making offers at the end of the month on 150-160 pt contracts. I've been kicking myself these past few weeks for not jumping in sooner given how much listing prices have increased - but I guess that's the price I pay for wanting to be able to comfortably make a purchase/not dip into other savings! :(

Its funny I thought I was crazy paying $100 for 50 OKW E at the end of july I could sell it right now for probably 115-120. I'd make very little money but still crazy how much its changed in two months.

Can I ask where you're looking? We're in (almost) the same boat as you. Have been stalking the SSR resales for awhile now, ready to contact brokers/start making offers at the end of the month on 150-160 pt contracts. I've been kicking myself these past few weeks for not jumping in sooner given how much listing prices have increased - but I guess that's the price I pay for wanting to be able to comfortably make a purchase/not dip into other savings! :(

Timeshare Store seems to have the most active listings and great response time from the agents, so I'd love to support them, but nothing I'm willing to pay.

Timeshare Store seems to have the most active listings and great response time from the agents, so I'd love to support them, but nothing I'm willing to pay.

I feel exactly the same way - lots of contracts there but my price point v. list price point is a little far off right now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!