SSRI Withdrawal

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
SSRIs such as Sertraline, Fluoxetine and Paroxetine are now very commonplace and have a significant role to play in the treatment of clinical Depression, amongst other illnesses. But for some people, withdrawal can be crippling, and these symptoms are mistaken for relapse, paving the way for even more drugs over an even longer period of time. I'm lucky, cessation of these drugs was particularly easy for me (even though I am on different classes of antidepressants now) but for some people, withdrawal can be agony and this is not a widely acknowledged thing.

Have you experienced withdrawal symptoms from SSRIs? Do you even want to share your stories?

We have a close loved one who developed severe mental health challenges later in life. We feel blessed and grateful that the symptoms seem to be well-treated with good, old-fashioned lithium. I'm deathly afraid of the newer generation of psychotropic drugs in use now. :scared: So many seem to cause as many problems as they solve, or at least pose very significant risks of serious adverse side effects.

Back in my 20's I just ditched it and quit cold turkey. I don't remember what kind of dosage it was. Honestly, I don't remember feeling any different after quitting cold turkey.

I have since been put back on it, a fairly small dosage. I don't think it really does anything for me or to me, but that's just my opinion. However, others seem to think I am a bit high strung :confused3

I was on Prozac for about two years. It was the first psychiatric drug I was put on after I was diagnosed years ago. Coming off that was awful. It got to the point where I would sneak into my mom's bedroom in the middle of the night and crawl into bed beside her to sob from the emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms. She, being a mom, always woke up and put her arm over me, thank goodness. She maybe saved my life with those late night hugs.

I'm on a cocktail of psychiatric medications now. I hate and fear the thought of having to come off them all at once if I ever lose my insurance. None of them are SSRI drugs, but a couple of them are supposed to be hell to stop.

I was on Prozac for about two years. It was the first psychiatric drug I was put on after I was diagnosed years ago. Coming off that was awful. It got to the point where I would sneak into my mom's bedroom in the middle of the night and crawl into bed beside her to sob from the emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms. She, being a mom, always woke up and put her arm over me, thank goodness. She maybe saved my life with those late night hugs.

I'm on a cocktail of psychiatric medications now. I hate and fear the thought of having to come off them all at once if I ever lose my insurance. None of them are SSRI drugs, but a couple of them are supposed to be hell to stop.

(((HUGS)))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter