• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

St Pete's Beach ?

jessie2

Mouseketeer
Morning

Can anyone give us any tips on where to eat, and anything they have enjoyed in St Pete's beach. We are having a 4 day break at the Sirata Beach in the middle of our 2 weeks Orlando.

Thanks

:) Jessie

Jessie . . . where to begin!!

I think there's a Durango steakhouse in the Sirata, or certainly one of the Tradewinds hotels. We happened upon it last year while staying at the Holiay Inn - the round hotel next door. Durangos is great, especially if you can get in there for happy hour:p

Silas Dent's is another good restaurant, but make sure you go there STARVING, cos you get a loaf of bread on arrival, roasted peanuts and a salad . . all before your entree:bounce:

Bennigans near Publix is always good and reasonable; Spinners Revolving Roofttop restaurant in the Holiday Inn is worth visiting, just for the aerial view over the gulf at sunset time.

There is a Ponderosa a little way out (need a car), but they only do lunches and dinners - and Sunday brunch (all you can eat buffet).

IHOP (International House of Pancakes) between the Sirata and Publix complex does good brekkies (in fact we had a TBone steak there for $6 each one night!). There's a couple of American family diner-type places that do really good food and cheap . . . there really is a huge amount at St Pete's within a reasonable walking distance either left or right from the Sirata.

Jonny Leverocks, again a little way out, is a must if you love fish (although I don't and had a great steak). Ask for a water view booth and you get great views of the Boca Ciego bay with all the birds.

Again, at the Holiday Inn, at Bahama Mama's on the beach, they do great burgers and chicken sandwiches/fries for a quick bite lunchtimes and evenings.

Need any more info, just shout . . . we love St Petes' been there three times now:D

Thanks Annie, did'nt think anyone would be so quick. Durango's is in the Sirata so thats a good start. We had a brief stay in St Pete's last year, loved what we found, but felt we had not done it, if you know what I mean. We were originally going to Sarasota this year, but had to re book the whole holiday last week, due to a problem with a Tour Operator. This is when I took the opportunity to change to St Pete's, reading your reply has definately confirmed I have made the right decision. Can't wait! We just plan to chill and enjoy.

Thanks again, if you think of anything else let me know.

:D Jessie

Hi Jessie. We really do enjoy staying on the Gulf Coast after a week at the parks. This year we're off down to Naples, then the Keys, but we would have been more than happy to go back to St Petes . . when we arrived last year it was like "coming home". Straight over to Publix to by snax and goodies, beer, etc.

TIP: get your lilo's/inflatables for the beach in Publix because they're cheap and they inflate them for you (just ask if they don't offer):Pinkbounc

Of course if you've finished "chilling" there's always Busch Gardens 45 mins up the road, plus BG's water park sister Adventure islands - next to BG - we loved that place. We spent a whole day there and my DH doesn't particularly like the water is really disappointed we're not going back this year. They have one of those rambling river type thingies where you just sit on a huge tyre and float around this long, rambling river . . bliss.

We stayed at Sand Key, Clearwater, for our first family trip and loved this part as well. In fact, when we've been to St Pete's we always take a trip back up to Sand Key for memories sake:D

Ooh - a must to do at St Pete's if you like boats/dolphins, is the cruise on the Destiny from Tierre Verde marina - it's a beautiful yacht which you go on for half a day, take your picnic lunch; Cap'n Bill cruised around to find dolphins in the bay, then you set sail for shell island where you moor and snorkel, shell, swim or whatever, for a couple hours. Fantastic. They also do a motor launch version where you again take your picnic and go to Egmont Key and lunch, explore this little island and then get back on board where you then snorkel around an old tower that was destroyed in a hurricane and submerged under the water. It's great. Highly recommend either of these.

Cor, wish I was back there now:rolleyes: :)

:D Thanks for the tips and info Annie, I have printed so I don't forget, I read so many things on the boards and think thats a great idea then only remember half of it! We too like Clearwater, DD has chosen to spend here 16th birthday this year going for dinner then on to Peir 60 to spend some $. My 40 something birthday is the week before, being spent in Magic Kingdom with Pooh and Co at Crystal Palace for lunch. I'm so looking forward to it:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I'll report back to you on our trip to St Pete's.

You definitely want to spend some time in the new Bay Walk area of downtown St Pete's, which is a really happening area, full of shops, restaurants and bars. There is also a good bus service in from the beaches, which means you don't have to drive!

Jessie,

Durangos I found to be really good.

The steak, if that's your thing was delicious and they were doing a 2 for 1 on budweisers which was very good, so I ordered 2 and my Dad 2 - excellent.

The atmosphere at Durangos was very friendly and the service brilliant. (Oh dear, I sound like an advert for the place)

Struggled to find anywhere for breakfasts around the area though.

Greg

:D

HI Jessie 2

Took a breather from WDW at St Petes Beach from 12-16 may 2002.
We are a 2 adult 2dd party and we stayed at the Holiday Inn with the revolving top.
Perusing the giant credit card bill, we seem to have spent our money at
1) Publix- we were drinking Rosemount red wine on our balcony costing $5 per bottle (it costs 7 quid a bottle here). Ideal for crisps/beer/snacks and a nice deli counter to make your own lunches. ready sliced meat/cheese.
2) sea critters cafe Not the cheapest but Biiig portions and good to.
3)Crabby Bills- slightly overrated but helped by the $1 margaritas and right next door to HI St Petes beach so no driving.
4) grand china and american buffet next to publix - Don't bother and some of the culinary practices were a bit dodgy.
5) bahama mammas. A bit quiet and only OK. They seem to have had a lot more fun next door.
The holiday inn was a bit strange. The real wood and old-fashioned atmosphere seemed to put it in a retro time warp of some sort. Not unpleasant but ...

ATB
Jimmie 2daughters.

PS best tip(s)of the holiday
1) Virgin gave us flourescent socks on the flight. Yuk.
But, stick them on the ariel of your hire car at the theme parks and you can spot it a mile away (especially at the start when you can only remember the colour and not the make and reg No)
2) Virgin free flight accessories come in a clear heavy duty drawstring bag. The security at WDW loved them as you could see the contents without going right through them.

Morning

Thanks for all the thoughts, Durangos is on the definite list with it being in the Sirata and has had a few mentions, seems lots to choose from.

We're not flying Virgin this year, but I have got numerous pairs of those socks and some of the bags, great idea, all those rows of cars look the same, especially if you get a number plate that does'nt stick in your mind. Have to rely on dd and ds for this! Sad but true.

The bus to the Bay Walk area sounds good too, can I drag myself away from the deck chair though?

Thanks again my list is looking good.

Hey, Jimmie2daughters - I think we spent at least and hour a day in Publix - I remember the Rosemount wine VERY well . . . . those huge great big 1.5/2 litre bottles:D

We used to get a massive sub made in Publix deli counter each morning we were on the beach . . . they got to know us and used to let us taste all the meats/cheeses before we decided what flavour. And the cakes . . OMG, to die for:rolleyes:

Jessie - you'll have a ball:Pinkbounc

HI

I love the St.Petes area spent a lot of time there over the years. Off to Treasure Island again for 3 weeks in August.

I don't know if its your cup of tea, butme and my family always have a great night out watching the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at The Tropican Field. Its fairly cheap and if you go at a weekend the atmosphere is usually buzzing.

There are also lots of great places to eat - however I too don't think you can beat the subs from Publix.

MOSI and The Florida Aquarium are good fun over in Tampa as well.

Countryside Mall up on the 19 near Clearwater is good for shopping and has an indoor ice rink.

Hope this helps :D

Oops forgot to say that The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are a baseball team. And no its not the same as rounders....:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter