Standby Lines for Dining?

piginmud

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've been to Disney. I'm traveling in mid-October and we have only 1 ADR because we couldn't get any other ones. I was under the impression that restaurants *don't* have a standby line anymore, is that true? I've been trying to do my research & searched threads on here and it looks like you can walk up to a restaurant but the chances of getting in are slim (but not impossible). Am I correct?

Also... is it easier to get into the Disney Springs restaurants without an ADR? Or just as difficult as the ones in the parks? We are a party of 6, so that makes it harder to get the ADR's.

Thanks in advance!
debbie

Character meals - I wouldn't count on any standby/walkup reservations being available.
Other dining experiences - YMMV, based on what time of year you're there, when you're trying to get a meal.
Disney Springs - Those restaurants have walk-up seating (though they may go on a wait), and many if not all are on Open Table for reservations.

That said, if you set up a reservation finder and keep refreshing MDE for a non-Springs dining experience, your reservation is good even if you make it 10 minutes before you arrive at the door. so keep checking! Lots of people drop reservations the night before to avoid the cancellation fees.

If you are flexible you can eat TS every day. Check day before or day of. People cancel and change adrs all the time

Disney’s model is all about adrs. No adr no availability. It’s odd but that’s their way

Some restaurants are on Open ?Table. Especially those not Disney owned, in DS

Character meals - I wouldn't count on any standby/walkup reservations being available.
Other dining experiences - YMMV, based on what time of year you're there, when you're trying to get a meal.
Disney Springs - Those restaurants have walk-up seating (though they may go on a wait), and many if not all are on Open Table for reservations.

That said, if you set up a reservation finder and keep refreshing MDE for a non-Springs dining experience, your reservation is good even if you make it 10 minutes before you arrive at the door. so keep checking! Lots of people drop reservations the night before to avoid the cancellation fees.

Are you talking about using the reservation finder on Touring Plans? Because I don't have a subscription.
Thanks for your input.
debbie

I usually have reservations, but haven't had issues getting walk up seating at most places. The catch is you may have to wait. With a small enough party you may even get reservations at a character meal.

I walked up to Crystal palace one time way back in 2014 (with a small party of 3) and was told a 45 minute wait and was seated in a much shorter time. We were trying to meet up with some friends who had a reservation and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the size of the restaurant and its general popularity.

I usually have reservations, but haven't had issues getting walk up seating at most places. The catch is you may have to wait. With a small enough party you may even get reservations at a character meal.

I walked up to Crystal palace one time way back in 2014 (with a small party of 3) and was told a 45 minute wait and was seated in a much shorter time. We were trying to meet up with some friends who had a reservation and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the size of the restaurant and its general popularity.

Have you tried lately? Things have changed significantly since then

Have you tried lately? Things have changed significantly since then
No. I have heard people walking up and asking for wait, but not sure if they were accommodated. Personally, most of my trips this year was ADRs or QS.

Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've been to Disney. I'm traveling in mid-October and we have only 1 ADR because we couldn't get any other ones. I was under the impression that restaurants *don't* have a standby line anymore, is that true? I've been trying to do my research & searched threads on here and it looks like you can walk up to a restaurant but the chances of getting in are slim (but not impossible). Am I correct?

Also... is it easier to get into the Disney Springs restaurants without an ADR? Or just as difficult as the ones in the parks? We are a party of 6, so that makes it harder to get the ADR's.

Thanks in advance!
debbie
Go on your MDE and check for reservations for tomorrow, two days from tomorrow, etc. A lot is available as people have to drop them by midnight. I find a lot of availability a day or 2 before. I ended up having 1 reservation when I was there last week and found pretty much everything I wanted. I just did a quick check breakfast for tomorrow. Akershus, Be Our Guest, Garden Grill, Hollywood and Vine Cinderella's Royal Table, Trattoria al Forno, The Plaza, Chef Mickey's all available. CRT lunch, Crystal Palace breakfast lunch and dinner available. Looking at dinner: 50s Prime Time, Park Fare, Akershus, Cali Grill, Chef Mickeys, Liberty Tree, Skippers, O'Hana, Story Book Dining at Artist Point, Sci-Fi (late time but available), Yak and Yeti, all available. Checked for party of 4. I even picked up Festival of the Lion King Tiffins 2 days prior to our AK day. You should be able to find quite a bit. Check all day, but evening is the best time to check for dropped reservations. A lot can pop up day of, but a lot is also available the day before. Most people are unable to drop day of as they need 24 to 48 hours to cancel.
Disney Springs can be easy to hard, but I wouldn't suggest trying a walk in on a Saturday or Sunday. We tried Saturday the 20th and everything was 1 hour to 2.5 hour waits.

The only place we’ve had success walking up is at some of the resort restaurants.

Another tip is to search for at least 4 people. You can search for less, and sometimes the reservation comes up, sometimes not. I just searched tomorrow (curiosity) for 4 and 2 times for Chef Mickeys showed up. When I searched for 2, nothing was available. You can always book for more then modify it down. Or book it and call.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
debbie

Just about everything will open up the night before you want it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter