Star Trek

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Has anyone done the Star Trek experience at the Las Vegas Hilton? Is it too intense for children (DS6, DS9, DD11)? Mom also got pretty sick on Mission Space at Epcot and Back to the Future at Universal so could I handle it? Thanks. Love Star Trek. :thumbsup2

we love the Star Trek experience ( and drining the warp core breach afterwards ;) )

The STNG side is very cool, with not anything i would classify as scary, and a motion simulater possibly a touch wilder than Star Tours,,,but not by much.

The Borg side is very scary....in a good way , but even I got the creeps. If you are in the front or end of the pack......things are even scarier. My DD and i both loved it, and we usually do each side 3 times, with eating (drinking) at Quarks, the gift shop. and the very long time line spaced in between the rides.

Another two thumbs up for the Star Trek Experience. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 from me. I love it.

As Judy said, the Klingon Experience part (I think that's what they are calling it) is a motion simulator, like Star Tours at DL, if your kids can handle that without being too scared then I say it's worth it all. And the "pre-show" is out of this world!!!! Your kids would definitely love that, even if they've never seen the shows (especially Star Trek TNG....I'd suggest letting them watch a few of the episodes so they know who the crew are). (Also, as you go through the pre-show area, read what's written on the walls and look closely for the mice on the screens - best to do during a second ride - you'll see what I mean ;) )

There's a cool museum of sorts on the walk up to the loading area, you can go back and look at it anytime, so don't feel like you need to rush it all in at once. (You buy a day pass which is good for both of the rides as many times as you want to do them and the museum - tickets when you get there, and scan the Vegas magazines in your hotel room for discount coupons).

The Borg adventure side is a bit scarier. The main attraction is a 3-D (4-D) movie that I would equate with It's Tough to be a Bug in the type of 4-D stuff that you'll encounter. And the pre-show can be extremely scary (or extremely hysterical depending on how you feel about Borgs :lmao: ). You may want to see what it's like yourself, while the kids are getting some food at Quarks, (burgers, pizza, steaks, etc.....pretty good IMHO), before taking them along for the adventure, they may get a kick out of it.

In general though, there's lots of cool stuff to see and do, even if you skip the rides and just go to Quarks, which doesn't require a ticket I think. Nothing like having a Klingon as a waiter. :rotfl2:

So it is suggested not to buy tix ahead of time, but to look for discount coupons and then walk up and buy tickets?

I'm dragging my mom to this, but I don't know if she would want to do the rides. I can send her to hang with the Klingons.

TDC Nala said:
So it is suggested not to buy tix ahead of time, but to look for discount coupons and then walk up and buy tickets?

Well, actually, taking a look on their website, it looks like they have a $5 discount for online purchases, but I didn't see if there was a delivery charge, etc. I've seen mostly $5 discount coupons in the magazines, although I did see one for $10 a while back, but I wouldn't count on it. It's up to you....you certainly don't have to get tickets ahead of time, they're easy to get there. I would suggest, if you're schedule is not totally flexible that you call ahead to make sure it wasn't going to be closed for a certain length of time for a wedding (yes, there actually are quite a lot of weddings on the enterprise... :rotfl2: ) (I've seen it closed for only a couple of hours at a time here and there, but not all day.)

http://www.startrekexp.com/

Here's the website, you can look here for tickets, get the phone number for the box office to find out about weddings (only call a day ahead or so), and you can also see the menu for Quarks.

By the way, I didn't mention that you can also buy photos of yourself sitting in Picard's chair or being assimilated. :teeth:

I've been told you can find discounted tickets at the discount ticket place near MGM. It's called Tickets2Nite. It's located in the giant Coke bottle (where the Coke museum used to be). It's same day tickets for half price. It's like the TKTS in Times Square in New York.

My favourite is the Borg one but I do think it's a bit intense for small children. The Klingon one is more sedate (well, story wise) but I find it really jerky and rougher on my back than most simulator rides.

Yeah, and we love shopping there and dining at Quarks afterwards. I'm not a drinker but I enjoy watching a table of 4 trying to tackle a Warp Core Breach. LOL

Judy from Boise said:
Hee hee, my DH and I finished one between us!

Holy Crow! :eek: :drinking1 :sick:

For those who don't know what a warp core breach is...it's basically a big goldfish bowl of booze. LOL

The TNG side really made me not feel good. I hit my head on my chair and ended up with a splitting headache (I leaned forward as the ride was going back). THere are strobe lights, so be aware if you are sensetive.

It was a blast though. And super cool if you are into ST: TNG

I loved the Borg side as well, but it is very scary, and unless you can convince your children that it is not real I don't recommend it.

I want that warp core breach but I don't think I can drink one myself. I will have to go back now.

you should have been there this weekend. It was the Star Trek Convention at the Hilton in Vegas. I was there on Sat. night and they were everywhere. It was a quite a sight. We could not get into the Quarks bar they had it packed. We were there for dinner. It was a sight!!!

Hi

The motion simulator section of the Klingon Encounter comes at the end (after the story build up which takes you on the bridge of the Enterprise etc) so we did have the option to bypass the end bit.

Cheers

MadeToLove said:
. . . I've seen mostly $5 discount coupons in the magazines, although I did see one for $10 a while back, but I wouldn't count on it. It's up to you. . .

When we were in L.V. in May, the welcome magazines had $10 coupons.

Woody

They had $10 coupons in the welcome books, but they were only good for packages. The smallest package cost $69 and includes a bunch of stuff like the backstage tour. The regular admission for the museum and the two rides was $38.99. My mother got a ticket for seniors, there was a little bit of a discount on that.
It's 5 bucks off to order on the Internet.

Have lunch at Quark's, you can meet this guy
DSCN0538.jpg

and this guy (yes, he's real)
DSCN0560.jpg

and have a Saurian brandy
DSCN0562.jpg

while sitting underneath the Starship Enterprise
DSCN0542.jpg

The Las Vegas Entertainment Book has a 2 for 1 coupon for the Star Trek Experience. It also has 2 for 1 coupons for all day wristbands at the Adventuredome at Circus Circus and admission to Madam Tussad's at the Venetian, and many other deals. Maybe you could buy a Las Vegas book before you go; or if you have one, go on their website and see what coupons are available on-line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter