Star Wars Episode 9 Loses Director and JJ Abrams is back

My problem with JJ is he does stories well until the end, and they just hired the guy to do the end of a trilogy. I'm not liking that. They needed someone who knows how to do a grand finale, and I'm not sure JJ can pull it off.

JJ Abrams is notorious for setting up great TV shows and then abandoning them shortly into the process leaving someone else to take over and mess them up. This is what happened with "Alias" and "Lost". Thankfully "Fringe" got good people to take over and the series improved without Abrams.

JJ Abrams is notorious for setting up great TV shows and then abandoning them shortly into the process leaving someone else to take over and mess them up. This is what happened with "Alias" and "Lost". Thankfully "Fringe" got good people to take over and the series improved without Abrams.

That's what I seem to remember too...

He's not a "great storyteller"...he's a concept guy. Great...but Star Wars is all about the delivery...the "concept" isn't gonna wow now...everybody has great special effects...heck, the matrix beat phantom menace to the punch...

It has to be about story for disney now...and they don't have stan lee to bail them out.

I honestly think I could come up with 10 Star Wars stories on my own that could deliver the punch needed...

Why is it so hard for abrams/Kennedy?
I think it's because the wrong masters are being served...

FIX IT!!

I don't think anyone is denying kids like Star Wars...I did...my kids seem mildly amused...

But my point is that they never had to be geared to kids and it's a mistake to do so because there's a wider/more profitable long term fanbase without the dumbed down story and the jar jar.

Anthony Daniels just the other day, “Jar Jar was created by George Lucas and he employed an actor, Ahmed Best, who is a terrific actor,” he said. “Terrific mover. Terrific, inventive brain. Highly intelligent. Did exactly what George asked him to do. George’s son Jett was thrilled by that performance that Ahmed did perfectly, but Jett was 10 years old. Now, I wasn’t, so for me Jar Jar was a bit like the Ewoks. I’ve grown past that stage. 10-year-olds, 11-year-olds, eight-year-olds adored Jar Jar. It was a very, very good thing to do… so I hugely admire Ahmed Best. He got very bad press for doing it… and Jar Jar was not for me.”

So how exactly does a headstrong, reckless, impulsive, overly emotional, brooding, and insecure Anakin who rushes into things while disregarding all authority magically turn into a cool, calm, collected, patient, confident, and emotionless Sith Lord that carefully plans his traps while obeying every minor whim of the Emperor? They're almost two completely different characters.

Many Imperial Officers...died to dispute this claim.

I get the goal. They wanted to show how good guy and Obi-wan friend, Anakin, could turn into Vader. They just didn't succeed.

I get the goal. They wanted to show how good guy and Obi-wan friend, Anakin, could turn into Vader. They just didn't succeed.

Plus he wasn't really calm and collected when he first became Vader/was put in the suit but overtime he basically learned he has nothing else left and just turned further to the dark side. Problem is you don't get much of that evolution in the films - just the moody and emotional Anikan and then he is Vader - and you remember the Vader from the original trilogy

Not saying it is perfect but if you read books and comics and stuff that take plas post Episode 3 you do get a bit more of the evolution

Anthony Daniels just the other day, “Jar Jar was created by George Lucas and he employed an actor, Ahmed Best, who is a terrific actor,” he said. “Terrific mover. Terrific, inventive brain. Highly intelligent. Did exactly what George asked him to do. George’s son Jett was thrilled by that performance that Ahmed did perfectly, but Jett was 10 years old. Now, I wasn’t, so for me Jar Jar was a bit like the Ewoks. I’ve grown past that stage. 10-year-olds, 11-year-olds, eight-year-olds adored Jar Jar. It was a very, very good thing to do… so I hugely admire Ahmed Best. He got very bad press for doing it… and Jar Jar was not for me.”
And the terrifying thing is that Michael Jackson was lobbying Lucas hard to be that kid-centric character. Although it is sort of funny to hear about Lucas visiting with Jackson and taunting him with the role before dropping the anvil on his head that he was instead casting this unknown actor Best.
Plus he wasn't really calm and collected when he first became Vader/was put in the suit but overtime he basically learned he has nothing else left and just turned further to the dark side. Problem is you don't get much of that evolution in the films - just the moody and emotional Anikan and then he is Vader - and you remember the Vader from the original trilogy

Not saying it is perfect but if you read books and comics and stuff that take plas post Episode 3 you do get a bit more of the evolution
I was THIS CLOSE to saying in my earlier post that the transition was probably dealt with in the expanded universe (as happens with so much in the SW galaxy) - so that doesn't surprise me. We both agree though that the movies just leave that gap open - which is a pretty big gap after spending an entire trilogy explaining Vader's origin. And my analogy isn't perfect - Vader is pretty angry in the opening of Episode IV. Maybe the Anakin to Vader to transition works for other people - it just never has for me. If I'm watching Empire, I'm sarcastically thinking that the dumb, reckless kid that became Vader according to the PT wouldn't have just let Luke fall from the platform in Bespin - he'd have dived off right after him to catch up and made snarky one-liners like "Can I give you a hand?"

I was THIS CLOSE to saying in my earlier post that the transition was probably dealt with in the expanded universe (as happens with so much in the SW galaxy) - so that doesn't surprise me. We both agree though that the movies just leave that gap open - which is a pretty big gap after spending an entire trilogy explaining Vader's origin. And my analogy isn't perfect - Vader is pretty angry in the opening of Episode IV. Maybe the Anakin to Vader to transition works for other people - it just never has for me. If I'm watching Empire, I'm sarcastically thinking that the dumb, reckless kid that became Vader according to the PT wouldn't have just let Luke fall from the platform in Bespin - he'd have dived off right after him to catch up and made snarky one-liners like "Can I give you a hand?"

Would he? That suit really limited his movement. I always felt he transitioned into a "whatever happens the Force determined" so letting him fall was part of the plan. It's also around 20 years later. That, of course, all ties back into how little we know between movies of his development as a Sith Lord. And if you thought he was made at the beginning of Ep. IV....Rogue One certainly tied that up really well!

Um, don't all trilogies follow the same outline? Act One: Heroes win small battle setting story into action. Act Two: Evil regains footing. Act Three: Evil is destroyed.

Indiana Jones is an odd exception to that one where the first sequel is actually a prequel to the original. According to the timeline Temple of Doom actually, takes place before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Indiana Jones is also more stand alone adventures, not an ongoing story arc so it doens't really fit that storyline either for that reason.

I never understood this "need to play it safe" defense for the way they handled episode 7. Star Wars is the most successful franchise of all time. It managed to survive well even after the Holiday Special, Ewoks, and the bad reputation from its prequels. So I don't understand why Disney would be too scared to do something new with it. Ep 7 was going to be a successful film regardless of what kind of film it was.

I hope to christ that Rian Johnson's film is spectaculary good so that Disney realizes it doesn't need to wuss out and get better hands on deck for Ep 9.

I never understood this "need to play it safe" defense for the way they handled episode 7. Star Wars is the most successful franchise of all time. It managed to survive well even after the Holiday Special, Ewoks, and the bad reputation from its prequels. So I don't understand why Disney would be too scared to do something new with it. Ep 7 was going to be a successful film regardless of what kind of film it was.

I hope to christ that Rian Johnson's film is spectaculary good so that Disney realizes it doesn't need to wuss out and get better hands on deck for Ep 9.

There had never been as much at stake though. Disney literally spent billions on the franchise and is then spending billions more in the new lands. People were weary coming off of the prequels and if this was poorly received then it would have soured all the enthusiasm for the new lands and the spinoffs, etc. yes the franchise would have survived, but Disney is looking for a lot more than just "survival" with this franchise at this point

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter