Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors are that pricing for a single adult will be around $3300 for the two night stay.

Price for a family of four - $7200!
Where did this rumor come from?

My family of 4 is staying for 11 nights in April @ Pop with QS dining plan and 10 day hopper for $6000USD.

Now these are 2 completely different experiences but $7200 for 2 nights and 1 trip to Batuu? Even if all of the food, drink, savi’s, droid depot, clothes etc are included my family can spend $1200 in Galaxys edge and still have 9 more nights at WDW for the rumoured price of the 2day cruise.

Except that they're going to need more than that 1%, because I'm not sure this will appeal to them. This needs to appeal to the FANatics because they'll be the ones that help sustain it.

I’d agree with you if this hotel had hundreds and hundreds of rooms to fill, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. And never underestimate the 1%’s willingness to pay for something that’s “exclusive”.

Disney World has been “too expensive” for many years now, but people keep coming. They find a way to scrimp and save and budget to make a trip work. SW fans will do the same for this hotel.

I've seen speculation from a website that this will be priced similar to a Disney Cruise. Which, in my opinion, makes sense. If you consider this an "all inclusive" experience, with entertainment and accommodations built it. The ratio of a cruise is approximately 1 staff to every 2.5 guests which makes sense for an experience like this considering all the different "experience" on board the starcruiser. I really doubt they would shut down the park early just for guests, but if they potentially offer EMH to guests and only open up GE or provide bonus fast passes / boarding passes for Smuggler's and RotR then the pricing would make sense. Just my 2 cents.

They don’t need to make this affordable for the masses; they can fill occupancy (for what appears to be a relatively small number of rooms) by appealing to the 1% that they’ve already been wooing for years.

Not saying I agree with that approach, but it is what it is.

and after that 1% goes then what they keep going year after year. they have to make it accessible for people somehow. don't know how but somehow.

Where did this rumor come from?

My family of 4 is staying for 11 nights in April @ Pop with QS dining plan and 10 day hopper for $6000USD.

Now these are 2 completely different experiences but $7200 for 2 nights and 1 trip to Batuu? Even if all of the food, drink, savi’s, droid depot, clothes etc are included my family can spend $1200 in Galaxys edge and still have 9 more nights at WDW for the rumoured price of the 2day cruise.
I bet Disney floated the $7200 idea so that when it turns out to be "only" $6K, everyone jumps on the "bargain".

I believe a non-reputable site that is no longer allowed to be posted about on here is the one who started the $3300 rumor. I highly doubt it's correct. It's just not a good look for Disney to charge that much right off the bat per person for a 2 night stay.

After watching that even though it’s a rehash it did sound really really cool but not almost 10 grand cool. They have to make it affordable for people. Disney cruises are expensive but with having so many different classes on the ship that does help make it more accessible to people.

unfortunately, they don’t need to make it affordable for people. It’s an extremely small property and they will easily fill it for years at the rumored prices.

and after that 1% goes then what they keep going year after year. they have to make it accessible for people somehow. don't know how but somehow.

What - you think the 1% goes to the Poly or the Grand Floridian once and never again? Those are much larger hotels and I don't see their rates coming down at all.

Likewise, DCL is super-expensive, and probably gives you far less bang for your buck than Royal or Norwegian. Yet people keep sailing DCL over and over, hitting Gold and Platinum status.

And there are babies being born every day. So long as Disney keeps the SW brand strong, for every 1% family that eventually "taps out" of SWGS, there's a new 1% family waiting in the wings to try SWGS for the first time.

unfortunately, they don’t need to make it affordable for people. It’s an extremely small property and they will easily fill it for years at the rumored prices.

Exactly. They don't have to make it accessible for people. They just have to make it accessible for enough people who are willing to pay the price point (whatever it actually turns out to be).

I bet Disney floated the $7200 idea so that when it turns out to be "only" $6K, everyone jumps on the "bargain".

Absolutely. All this rumor-mongering and social media chatter is their proxy market research and price-positioning whisper campaign.

Last edited:
I've seen speculation from a website that this will be priced similar to a Disney Cruise. Which, in my opinion, makes sense. If you consider this an "all inclusive" experience, with entertainment and accommodations built it. The ratio of a cruise is approximately 1 staff to every 2.5 guests which makes sense for an experience like this considering all the different "experience" on board the starcruiser. I really doubt they would shut down the park early just for guests, but if they potentially offer EMH to guests and only open up GE or provide bonus fast passes / boarding passes for Smuggler's and RotR then the pricing would make sense. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, priced like a cruise makes sense.

If you are in this experience for 48hrs and you get very little park time, the hotel experience will have to be ridiculous.

$7200 for a family of four seems about right considering what people are willing to pay for a private guide...
Yeah, but a 4 day disney cruise for a family of 4 with a stop a Castaway Cay, in a deluxe ocean view stateroom is in the $6000-6500 range. 2 more days and you actually go somewhere. Again, totally different experiences but Disney has to weigh the opportunity cost of taking people out of the parks/shops etc.

For me, if the cost was in the range of 2 or 3 days at Universal (which many people add-on to WDW trips), it may be something we would do. If it is more than the cost of 10 days then I dont think the value is there for my family.

Saying that, whatever the cost is I am sure it will be sold out consistently.

Yeah, but a 4 day disney cruise for a family of 4 with a stop a Castaway Cay, in a deluxe ocean view stateroom is in the $6000-6500 range. 2 more days and you actually go somewhere. Again, totally different experiences but Disney has to weigh the opportunity cost of taking people out of the parks/shops etc.

For me, if the cost was in the range of 2 or 3 days at Universal (which many people add-on to WDW trips), it may be something we would do. If it is more than the cost of 10 days then I dont think the value is there for my family.

Saying that, whatever the cost is I am sure it will be sold out consistently.
Interesting points....

This will be a much more boutique experience than a cruise ship. In terms of not going anywhere, it seems like most people go on a disney cruise for the ship experience itself - pretty similar (coco cay is analogous to SWGE as the exception). Also, I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities to spend more than the cost of the “all-inclusive” 3 day experience (Alderaan champagne ain’t cheap)

Yep. And it's too bad.

All joking aside, you’re absolutely right.

I know it costs money to keep creating these high-concept experiences, attractions and resorts. However, Disney really seems hell-bent on increasing its Parks & Resorts profitability by getting more money from fewer people. In other words, the 1%. And that is indeed a shame.

They will hit a resistance point eventually. I just don’t think SWGS will be it.

What - you think the 1% goes to the Poly or the Grand Floridian once and never again? Those are much larger hotels and I don't see their rates coming down at all.

Likewise, DCL is super-expensive, and probably gives you far less bang for your buck than Royal or Norwegian. Yet people keep sailing DCL over and over, hitting Gold and Platinum status.

And there are babies being born every day. So long as Disney keeps the SW brand strong, for every 1% family that eventually "taps out" of SWGS, there's a new 1% family waiting in the wings to try SWGS for the first time.

Have you been on DCL? I won't argue that it is more expensive than some cruise lines, but it isn't super-expensive by any means. And it offers a greater variety of things for families to do than other cruise lines. If you want to get on the ship and gamble or drink, there are definitely cheaper options. But if you want to enjoy things with your family, you would be hard pressed to have a better experience than DCL, and I might argue that you can't do it for much less.

We've been on several different lines over the last 15 years, and most of them charge extra per meal if you want anything other than the buffet, not so with DCL. We had amazing food (with great entertainment during hte meals) for nothing more than we paid to be on the boat. On NCL and Princess, we had to pay $15-25 per person per meal for anyhting other than the buffet. That added up quick, and cost more than our DCL in the end. And, DCL catered to all age groups of our kids, whereas our kids were bored quite often on the other ships. We travel with 3 families with 7 kids spreading across 10 years, so we have a decent sense of what the groups are going to enjoy. For families, DCL ended up being the cheapest once all costs were taken into account.

Just because the initial price is higher, doesn't mean the cost is higher. Bringing this back to the Star Wars resort, if you are including everything, you have a huge variation of possibilities. Are you going to staff it and boutique it like GF? Than I would expect $1,000 per night, but if they are going the next step and including everything, then I would guess $2,000 per person is the ballpark. Look at what couples spend for other all-inclusive weekend getaways. $5,000 might be pushing it, but $3-4,000 and I bet they stay booked years in advance.

Have you been on DCL? I won't argue that it is more expensive than some cruise lines, but it isn't super-expensive by any means. And it offers a greater variety of things for families to do than other cruise lines. If you want to get on the ship and gamble or drink, there are definitely cheaper options. But if you want to enjoy things with your family, you would be hard pressed to have a better experience than DCL, and I might argue that you can't do it for much less.

We've been on several different lines over the last 15 years, and most of them charge extra per meal if you want anything other than the buffet, not so with DCL. We had amazing food (with great entertainment during hte meals) for nothing more than we paid to be on the boat. On NCL and Princess, we had to pay $15-25 per person per meal for anyhting other than the buffet. That added up quick, and cost more than our DCL in the end. And, DCL catered to all age groups of our kids, whereas our kids were bored quite often on the other ships. We travel with 3 families with 7 kids spreading across 10 years, so we have a decent sense of what the groups are going to enjoy. For families, DCL ended up being the cheapest once all costs were taken into account.

Just because the initial price is higher, doesn't mean the cost is higher. Bringing this back to the Star Wars resort, if you are including everything, you have a huge variation of possibilities. Are you going to staff it and boutique it like GF? Than I would expect $1,000 per night, but if they are going the next step and including everything, then I would guess $2,000 per person is the ballpark. Look at what couples spend for other all-inclusive weekend getaways. $5,000 might be pushing it, but $3-4,000 and I bet they stay booked years in advance.

I am about to take my sixth Disney cruise. I am very familiar with what DCL charges and the "price vs. value" considerations.

I make a pretty good living, and both DCL and the rumored pricing of SWGS are well within my reach. That being said, DCL is expensive, even factoring in all the included stuff.

Yes, you get value for your money; that is why I am about to sail for the sixth time. But that doesn't change the fact that for a median-income household, DCL is pretty darn expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!