Star Wars Galaxy Edge accessibility :(

That is one ride car. Everything I have seen and read makes it look like the ride will be similar to the old Great Movie Ride vehicles - the vehicles look very similar, just smaller.
They could easily have a car similar to this that is wheelchair accessible.
The Great Movie ride vehicles had space for one wheelchair in the very back row - no ramp, guests drove right in. It took up no more space than a ‘regular’ row. Some cars had space for 2 mobility devices, in on front of the other. Most guests probably had no clue. The door for Great Movie ride had a part that could be opened wider to make room for driving in.

I also think it is interesting, the ride will have a height requirement and a drop, but as near as I can tell in the photos I can find, it appears that there are no restraints of any kind (seat belt, lap bar, etc.) which I think seems odd, but if that is the case, then I would think there is indeed hope for a fully accessible vehicle that would not require a transfer.

I also think it is interesting, the ride will have a height requirement and a drop, but as near as I can tell in the photos I can find, it appears that there are no restraints of any kind (seat belt, lap bar, etc.) which I think seems odd, but if that is the case, then I would think there is indeed hope for a fully accessible vehicle that would not require a transfer.
I saw it in another DW disability group I'm in - a question was asked about the restraints and it will be "similar to Dinosaur."

Edit: To remove ambiguity, Restraints will be similar to Dinosaur. Not sure about the ride experience.

Last edited:

That is one ride car. Everything I have seen and read makes it look like the ride will be similar to the old Great Movie Ride vehicles - the vehicles look very similar, just smaller.
They could easily have a car similar to this that is wheelchair accessible.
The Great Movie ride vehicles had space for one wheelchair in the very back row - no ramp, guests drove right in. It took up no more space than a ‘regular’ row. Some cars had space for 2 mobility devices, in on front of the other. Most guests probably had no clue. The door for Great Movie ride had a part that could be opened wider to make room for driving in.

The ride will have up and down motion similar to Tower of Terror at one point and it is unfortunately impossible to secure a wheelchair into a ride vehicle when such motions are involved. Just like you can't strap a wheelchair into a roller coaster car or a Tower of Terror elevator, Rise of the Resistance will require a transfer. As for a vehicle with a wider door? Perhaps, haven't seen anything about it though.

Fair enough, then they can just not ride it. Disney doesn’t really need to “dumb down”, for lack of a better term, every ride to satisfy the lowest common denominator in ride comfort.

Yes, this exactly! Disney has a nice way of balancing the low key attractions with more exciting ones, much better than any other theme park I've been to. Since most other parks are all about big coasters (Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Hershey) I'm grateful Disney, and to a point, Universal, have other attractions I can go on. I know I can take my mom to Disney and fill a day at just one park with things to do. Wouldn't happen that way at any other park, including Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter