Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Attractions Planning

DH has severe motion sickness. Like, the worst of anyone I've ever known. He can't ride Star Tours at all. He decided to try MF:SR during the AP preview just to try it once. He was a gunner, and the pilots were both excellent. Therefore, he felt relatively fine after riding. We were so surprised! He decided to ride again, and hopefully get another position. Unfortunately he was a gunner again. However this time, one of the pilots was a very little girl who couldn't reach all of the controls. She also didn't understand what she had to do as well. It made for a VERY bumpy ride..... Dh was very sick after riding. :( My question, is whether you think he can ask to be pilot on a future trip. It's only because of his motion sickness. He says that he won't ride again unless he can be pilot and thus have some control over the bumpiness of the ride. The ride with the little girl as a pilot really did him in. :( Thanks for your thoughts!

I can’t really answer your question, but FWIW, I can’t ride things like Star Tours either. The first time I rode MFSR I was the engineer and that was fine for me - I could focus on pressing the buttons or look at something else if needed. The second time I rode, I was the left pilot - I felt like I needed to keep my eyes on the screen the whole time to not mess up and never had the chance to “look away” to right myself, motion wise. Well, that ride = blue milk status for me for a few hours afterwards. I may be the only one around here who actually wants to be the engineer in the future!

My 9-year old was the right pilot and he wasn’t all that great at it - wondering if that had something to do with it too given your DH’s experience.

Big caveat that I’m definitely on the more sensitive side of things when it comes to motion sickness on simulator type rides, so YMMV!

One thing I will be watching over the next few weeks is how the wait times for SR evolve during the EEMH. I am planning for a trip in mid October.

I have no problem getting up and out early, but I have really developed a strong dislike for the stampedes to popular rides when the park first opens. FOP and SDD are the worst because the walk is pretty long and there is more time for those intent on doing it to run and elbow their way ahead of people who arrived at the park before them. I assume SR will be the same way.

Because there is no precedent that I know of for a 3 hour AM EMH, I wonder if it might work as well, or better, to arrive at the park close to 6AM instead of getting there at 5:30 or earlier to join the initial rush to GE. The alternate plan would be to do the other rides in the park first and then go to GE around 8 AM. My question is whether the wait time for SR will ease off at all after the initial crush. If it is anything less than 60 minutes at 8 or 8:30 it might be less unpleasant to wait then after doing a bunch of other rides instead of spending a half hour or more before the park opens, participating in the rush, and then waiting 15-20 minutes or so to get on the ride.

I saw this morning that the reported wait time for SR at 8:30 AM was only 35 minutes. I will be interested to see if that turns out to be typical, or if it reflects lower crowds due to Dorian. Once the non resort guests are let in, which I assume will be a little before 9 AM, that wait time will undoubtedly increase dramatically.

One thing I will be watching over the next few weeks is how the wait times for SR evolve during the EEMH. I am planning for a trip in mid October.

I have no problem getting up and out early, but I have really developed a strong dislike for the stampedes to popular rides when the park first opens. FOP and SDD are the worst because the walk is pretty long and there is more time for those intent on doing it to run and elbow their way ahead of people who arrived at the park before them. I assume SR will be the same way.

Because there is no precedent that I know of for a 3 hour AM EMH, I wonder if it might work as well, or better, to arrive at the park close to 6AM instead of getting there at 5:30 or earlier to join the initial rush to GE. The alternate plan would be to do the other rides in the park first and then go to GE around 8 AM. My question is whether the wait time for SR will ease off at all after the initial crush. If it is anything less than 60 minutes at 8 or 8:30 it might be less unpleasant to wait then after doing a bunch of other rides instead of spending a half hour or more before the park opens, participating in the rush, and then waiting 15-20 minutes or so to get on the ride.

I saw this morning that the reported wait time for SR at 8:30 AM was only 35 minutes. I will be interested to see if that turns out to be typical, or if it reflects lower crowds due to Dorian. Once the non resort guests are let in, which I assume will be a little before 9 AM, that wait time will undoubtedly increase dramatically.
I was JUST coming here to post essentially the same thing! My BIL and his gf want to go for the EMH for our trip in early October. I don't know what to expect, and I'm the most seasoned of all of us who are going. I hate waiting for anything really, but with no FP available I'm wondering what the wait time will be for MFSR even if we don't get there right at 6. I will follow this thread and see what those who brave it before me say!

Frankly, depending on reports - we might drive over for 5:30 am and go first to TSL if there is a crush to walk to SWGE.

I definitely agree that crushing and elbowing takes away from the magic. We have reservations in SWGE and a weeks worth of time to go. I have no desire to be in either TSL or SWGE when the sun is beating down mid day with no shade. But early morning and evening will be our times.

I’m just happy they are doing the EEMH and EMH in all the parks the week we are there.

It will also give us afternoons to come back to our camper and loop around Fort Wilderness.

But I’m def interested to do some TSL rides then walk over to SWGE and explore.

Be interesting to see what patterns develop over the next few weeks.

Any idea/insights when they will update park hours for November? I feel like I should have a better idea on when they typically do this. However I was not sure with the EEMH just starting if that would impact when they announce future hours.

Do they typically extend park hours the week of Thanksgiving?

Frankly, depending on reports - we might drive over for 5:30 am and go first to TSL if there is a crush to walk to SWGE.

I definitely agree that crushing and elbowing takes away from the magic. We have reservations in SWGE and a weeks worth of time to go. I have no desire to be in either TSL or SWGE when the sun is beating down mid day with no shade. But early morning and evening will be our times.

I’m just happy they are doing the EEMH and EMH in all the parks the week we are there.

It will also give us afternoons to come back to our camper and loop around Fort Wilderness.

But I’m def interested to do some TSL rides then walk over to SWGE and explore.

Be interesting to see what patterns develop over the next few weeks.

I can say even in the mass of humanity on opening day, Aug 29th, I never got crushed and or elbowed, well at not at least by us "off planet" people.......just Kylo and the troopers were pushing their way around... It was so exciting to be part of that and everyone so happy to finally be able to step foot on Batuu that it was quit the site and actually fun! I have never been apart of a new section grand opening so I have nothing to compare it to but it was much to my pleasure....

Any idea/insights when they will update park hours for November? I feel like I should have a better idea on when they typically do this. However I was not sure with the EEMH just starting if that would impact when they announce future hours.

Do they typically extend park hours the week of Thanksgiving?

Often the larger update to the following month hours occurs the second Friday of the month prior, so for Nov that's probably Friday 10/11. Sometimes it can be the third Friday, which would be Fri 10/18. It is usually updated in the early afternoon eastern time.

Patterns are always subject to change, but this is generally how it has been working.

I am also re-considering my EEMH plan for late Sept. after seeing the small sample size of this past week.

Originally, I had been ready to leave our resort at 4:30 and get in line at DHS, and do SWGE first.

Now, it not only seems like 4:30 definitely isn't necessary, but it might be a better plan to arrive close to 5:30/5:45 and go to TSL first to ride SDD, TSM, and AS2. Then walk back over to RnR and ToT, and then finally go over to SWGE once the initial swell is over. Every EEMH so far has seen the wait for MFSR peak between 6 and 7 and then gradually go down, only to rise back up at 9.

Perhaps this will change in the coming weeks as September gets gradually busier as we enter October and I'll have to change back to my original plan of doing MFSR first, but it's too early to tell.

When they are handing out positions do they try to keep kids and parents together? Has anyone been split as in one has pilot and the other engineer etc. with strangers between you? Just want to be prepared. I already prepared my kid that he gets what he gets but I didn’t even think about us not being able to sit beside each other until now which is worrisome as he gets nervous on new rides sometimes.

When they are handing out positions do they try to keep kids and parents together? Has anyone been split as in one has pilot and the other engineer etc. with strangers between you? Just want to be prepared. I already prepared my kid that he gets what he gets but I didn’t even think about us not being able to sit beside each other until now which is worrisome as he gets nervous on new rides sometimes.
They hand out the assignments to a grouping of 6 - the first 2 in our group were given pilot, the next 2 gunners and then a single rider received the engineer role.

Your family will enter together so you’ll be fine.

Parents are seated next to kids or directly behind, if you're a party of 2 you'll be side by side

Parents are seated next to kids or directly behind, if you're a party of 2 you'll be side by side

I would not assume you will be side by side. It might actually be better to be front/back. we were a party of two. Our group was a group of three, us and a single. My mom got gunner and I got engineer. So I ended up sitting behind her. However I felt closer to her then the other engineer next to me, so that may be ideal for a parent and smaller child.

DH has severe motion sickness. Like, the worst of anyone I've ever known. He can't ride Star Tours at all. He decided to try MF:SR during the AP preview just to try it once. He was a gunner, and the pilots were both excellent. Therefore, he felt relatively fine after riding. We were so surprised! He decided to ride again, and hopefully get another position. Unfortunately he was a gunner again. However this time, one of the pilots was a very little girl who couldn't reach all of the controls. She also didn't understand what she had to do as well. It made for a VERY bumpy ride..... Dh was very sick after riding. :( My question, is whether you think he can ask to be pilot on a future trip. It's only because of his motion sickness. He says that he won't ride again unless he can be pilot and thus have some control over the bumpiness of the ride. The ride with the little girl as a pilot really did him in. :( Thanks for your thoughts!

My sister is there now. Also issues with motion sickness. She took Meclizine and was able to enjoy it. But, she said without the medicine she would have thrown up.

She also had a kid as a pilot. Disney needs to rethink that, just for enjoyment for the other passengers. It is great for kids to enjoy things too, but maybe not this one.

She also had a kid as a pilot. Disney needs to rethink that, just for enjoyment for the other passengers. It is great for kids to enjoy things too, but maybe not this one.

I rode MFSR twice, both times as engineer. In both instances, the pilots were a parent and a youngish child around 6-8.

In both instances, they were terrible pilots. We crashed constantly.

And it was a blast. in the back, we shouted encouragement, tried to offer suggestions, but mostly just enjoyed the heck out of the bumpy ride.

If you can't enjoy the ride because young kids are your pilot, well, that's on you.

My sister is there now. Also issues with motion sickness. She took Meclizine and was able to enjoy it. But, she said without the medicine she would have thrown up.

HA ...............dont blame it all on the kids!!

On our last trip in the MF we had a older 60ish couple who were the pilots and had ZERO clue to what to do when prompted! It was so bumpy and if anyone who had a small issue with motion sickness would have been dead sick! It was to the point when it was time to go into light speed the other 4 of us had to yell "pull the lever!!" I mean the man should have picked autopilot as they truely had no clue what to do even after the cast member explained it to them 3 times! Maybe a better explination of what to expect and ones expectations, dunno but man that one ride stunk....

I think they should install monitors along the queue explaining each position, we're being recruited to do a job but not given instructions in how to do it.
Agreed. When I was the engineer, I knew I needed to push the buttons when they lit up, but I really didn't know why I was pushing the buttons or what purpose it served. And since I was worried about hitting my buttons, I didn't watch the screen enough to see what was going on. It kind of took away from my enjoyment of the ride. It makes it more interactive than Star Tours though, so I enjoy it a lot more.

To chime in about motion sickness, I won't hardly go on Star Tours anymore, I end up feeling too sick from it. I didn't have an issue with Smugglers Run, but I also probably wouldn't ride it more than once in a row. To me, the real joy of the ride is actually waiting inside the Falcon and seeing the inside. I'd kind of l like to just get in line to look around and not participate in the ride.

I wonder if it might work as well, or better, to arrive at the park close to 6AM instead of getting there at 5:30 or earlier to join the initial rush to GE.
We've long been in the habit of doing this at all the parks, i.e. arriving just after the stampede has left the gate. We get the benefit of nearly the full EMH, but minus the stampede.

Then again, if you aren't in the stampede...another strategy is to simply zig when everyone else zags. Whatever direction the hoard follows: do the opposite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!