Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure that link necessarily belongs on this thread (perhaps it might be more appropriate in Disney 2019 Q1 fiscal), but your point is well taken.
Well, the question was "When [will] the crowds at Galaxy's Edge will shrink down?" That link outlines the answer to that question. <shrug> This is a reality that settled in once we had been a DVC member for ten or fifteen years. Crowding doesn't matter. We'll be back next year and the year after that, and we're committed to return even in recessions when other guests will be hunkering down on staycations. Despite the unfortunate circumstances, eventually we'll "enjoy" lower crowding for a few years, and so that is when we will visit the attractions with insanely long waits now.

Well, the question was "When [will] the crowds at Galaxy's Edge will shrink down?" That link outlines the answer to that question. <shrug> This is a reality that settled in once we had been a DVC member for ten or fifteen years. Crowding doesn't matter. We'll be back next year and the year after that, and we're committed to return even in recessions when other guests will be hunkering down on staycations. Despite the unfortunate circumstances, eventually we'll "enjoy" lower crowding for a few years, and so that is when we will visit the attractions with insanely long waits now.

Thanks for expanding the rationale on your link; it now makes more sense to me.

The link provides a, not necessarily the, answer to crowd levels predicted at SWGE. I see several bucket of potentials related to guest and crowd levels.

Bucket 1: In a more thriving economy, WDW guests will be able to afford to travel from afar (non local) to visit SWGE.
Bucket 2: In a more struggling economy (less disposable income), some guests will think they can afford to visit SWGE and are willing to leverage liquid assets to visit.
Bucket 3: As Florida continues to grow in population (#3 in the country and near nation leading pace), there will be enough locals that will help offset economic losses from bucket 1.
Bucket 4: Expanding on bucket #2, there will be those guests that are willing to leverage those liquid assets knowing full well they cannot afford to visit SWGE, but want to showcase they were among the first to visit.
Bucket 5: As you say, DVC members are committed to the contracts. With the new DVC resorts coming online very soon (and plans for Reflections), there could be enough of these members to keep SWGE at WDW packed for quite some time.
Bucket 6: Exactly as you said, a recession will effect the crowd levels holistically.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are other "buckets" of guests that I am missing.

They did test "nothing but Fast Passes" for TSMM a while ago didn't they? I could see them doing that for SWGE (maybe not charging more for that) .. but just limiting the queues to fast pass only -- so there won't be long, ugly lines snaking through the "immersive" area. That's the one thing that bothered me about SDD when I was there. The queue was long enough all day to cross the bridge and go to (or out) of the land's entrance. Makes the walkways more congested than they already are with how narrow they are.

They did test "nothing but Fast Passes" for TSMM a while ago didn't they? I could see them doing that for SWGE (maybe not charging more for that) .. but just limiting the queues to fast pass only -- so there won't be long, ugly lines snaking through the "immersive" area. That's the one thing that bothered me about SDD when I was there. The queue was long enough all day to cross the bridge and go to (or out) of the land's entrance. Makes the walkways more congested than they already are with how narrow they are.
I mean I guess you could say it was a test but it was because of low capacity. They took the ride down to one track instead of three during construction.

The SWGE rides are going to be FP only for a large % of people anyway. Only certain types of people are going to wait in line for 2-3-4+ hours to go on a ride. For us no FP means we don't ride.

I don't intend to ride any. There will be plenty of other things to experience.

That depends how many people they are going to let in the area and how they choose to do crowd control.

We were at Harry Potter at UO the first Christmas (Dec. 2010) and you couldn't even move in the area. It was over a 2 hour wait just to get into the area and they let way too many people in there. It was shoulder to shoulder and IMO impossible to enjoy anything.

I hope Disney does a better job of managing the crowds than UO did, but this Christmas we are expecting we might just use our FP's and have to leave the area after because of the crowds. But it would be great if we were able to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.

That depends how many people they are going to let in the area and how they choose to do crowd control.

We were at Harry Potter at UO the first Christmas (Dec. 2010) and you couldn't even move in the area. It was over a 2 hour wait just to get into the area and they let way too many people in there. It was shoulder to shoulder and IMO impossible to enjoy anything.

I hope Disney does a better job of managing the crowds than UO did, but this Christmas we are expecting we might just use our FP's and have to leave the area after because of the crowds. But it would be great if we were able to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.
I hope WDW learns a lot from DL (and that a lot of crowds just go there lol). But they did hold people out of TSL and Pandora unless they had FPs in the beginning when there was a wait to get in, so I hope they do control the crowds effectively somehow.

The SWGE rides are going to be FP only for a large % of people anyway. Only certain types of people are going to wait in line for 2-3-4+ hours to go on a ride. For us no FP means we don't ride.
I think more people will wait than you think. Especially people who only go once a decade or something.

I hope WDW learns a lot from DL (and that a lot of crowds just go there lol). But they did hold people out of TSL and Pandora unless they had FPs in the beginning when there was a wait to get in, so I hope they do control the crowds effectively somehow.

I'd have to go read some of the old threads. Once in Pandora were people able to enjoy the atmosphere or were people reporting shoulder to shoulder crowds through out?

I don't quite know exactly how they will do it but it may be at least a tad different with DLR because it will have 3 entrances with WDW only having 2 (IIRC). It may not make much of a difference but I could see it doing so in terms of getting people out of the land to allow more people in.

I think more people will wait than you think. Especially people who only go once a decade or something.

Obviously lots of people wait, that's why FoP never has less than a 2 hour wait. And it is probably mostly the people you mentioned. There is a large number of people like us as well though. I've never waited over an hour for any ride.

Yep...we are the same way. Im not going to wait in line more than 1hr so if we can score a fp, we wont b riding.

I'd have to go read some of the old threads. Once in Pandora were people able to enjoy the atmosphere or were people reporting shoulder to shoulder crowds through out?

If I recall correctly it was probably more crowded than people would have preferred but not as shoulder to shoulder as Potter was

If I recall correctly it was probably more crowded than people would have preferred but not as shoulder to shoulder as Potter was

Agree with @TheMaxRebo. I would just say that IMO, Avatar to SWGE is practically going to be an apples to oranges comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter