Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a bit optimistic on crowd control bc Disney has been at it before and god knows they don’t want to deal with a nightmare scenario that might happen as a result of overcrowding, especially since this is a summer opening in California.

I’m a bit optimistic on crowd control bc Disney has been at it before and god knows they don’t want to deal with a nightmare scenario that might happen as a result of overcrowding, especially since this is a summer opening in California.

As bad as it might be in WDW from a crowd perspective I am even more worried about Disneyland as they are a) getting the land first so people who want to first will go there and they won’t have fully worked out the kinks and b) that is a smaller park with small pathways that already often feels super crowded - I really wonder what they will do as I expect the entire park to reach capacity early and often

I may have missed it, but are ADR's now available for SWGE: DL at the 180+ window for a/the TS restaurant? Maybe it's not TS; I just don't know.

My gut feeling is that the crowd control mechanisms for SWGE will be pretty basic - queue for entering the land with a specific holding area and typical FPs/ADRs that allow access to the land itself as well. I think the ADRs will be the most coveted thing going...

I may have missed it, but are ADR's now available for SWGE: DL at the 180+ window for a/the TS restaurant? Maybe it's not TS; I just don't know.

I had this issue when I first went to Disneyland, wanting to book ADRs at 180 days out but you can't there ... generally you can about 2 months out but for some they didn't open it until final park hours were set

So maybe around April we will see something for this (queue up all the annoying April Fools day jokes people will post .... Galaxy's Edge will require separate admission, etc.)

I had this issue when I first went to Disneyland, wanting to book ADRs at 180 days out but you can't there ... generally you can about 2 months out but for some they didn't open it until final park hours were set

So maybe around April we will see something for this (queue up all the annoying April Fools day jokes people will post .... Galaxy's Edge will require separate admission, etc.)

Yeah, I saw that after @rteetz gave me the information (and inspired me to research a little bit more). It looks like a 60 day window for DL ADR's which, as you say, in theory points to the earliest of 1April2019. I still am not sure if the dinner dining has been confirmed as TS with an ADR option?

Yeah, I saw that after @rteetz gave me the information (and inspired me to research a little bit more). It looks like a 60 day window for DL ADR's which, as you say, in theory points to the earliest of 1April2019. I still am not sure if the dinner dining has been confirmed as TS with an ADR option?

my understanding is there is one restaurant that will have a table service part and the cantina part and then another restaurant that is quick service that will feature the "grill" being made out of a used podracer engine. I believe the idea is the TS part of the first restaurant will take ADRs but you can also go into the Cantina part without one (but my guess is it will be like Trader Sam's where if there isn't room you won't be able to go in)

That depends how many people they are going to let in the area and how they choose to do crowd control.

We were at Harry Potter at UO the first Christmas (Dec. 2010) and you couldn't even move in the area. It was over a 2 hour wait just to get into the area and they let way too many people in there. It was shoulder to shoulder and IMO impossible to enjoy anything.

I hope Disney does a better job of managing the crowds than UO did, but this Christmas we are expecting we might just use our FP's and have to leave the area after because of the crowds. But it would be great if we were able to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.

I went to UO over New Year's 2012/2013 so Hogsmeade had been open for two and a half years - we still had to wait about an hour to get in. Granted, it was a holiday so crowds were heavy. I don't remember how crowded it was inside but I don't feel like we waited too too long for Forbidden Journey, maybe an hour and a half?

I can't see there not being a wait to get into SWGE, but even a few years out I'd be okay waiting to get in if the crowds inside weren't unbearable. I'm interested to see how they handle this but they have a lot of experience to pull from, hopefully it runs as smoothly as possible!

As bad as it might be in WDW from a crowd perspective I am even more worried about Disneyland as they are a) getting the land first so people who want to first will go there and they won’t have fully worked out the kinks and b) that is a smaller park with small pathways that already often feels super crowded - I really wonder what they will do as I expect the entire park to reach capacity early and often

I was listening to podcast the other day and the guys on there were talking about this same scenario and they had the same opinion as u. They also said they were more concerned with crowds at Disneyland. They said that WDW was actually structured and better suited for larger crowds by design.

First off, I've been a long time reader on disboards but I've never made an account. Well, news has come my way that I knew that I had to share with everyone. A close friend with insider info from corporate told me that they are pushing very hard to open Galaxy's Edge in May. However, there seems to be construction issues/delays (I think she mentioned due to wind?") that may push the opening to August. My source promises to keep me updated so I'll be sure to follow up with any new info.

Personally, I'll be very disappointed if the opening is delayed. I have a trip planned out Disneyland in June.

Disney has said the Disneyland Galaxy's Edge will open in the summer.

Because this is such a high-profile land, I'm sure they want to open it as soon as possible, but they also have to get it right.

If they rush it and things break down, they will suffer for it. I can just envision the viral Youtube videos of guests whose lives were ruined because they waited 5 hours in line and then the Millenium Falcon attraction broke down.

I hope they take their time and get it right.

First off, I've been a long time reader on disboards but I've never made an account. Well, news has come my way that I knew that I had to share with everyone. A close friend with insider info from corporate told me that they are pushing very hard to open Galaxy's Edge in May. However, there seems to be construction issues/delays (I think she mentioned due to wind?") that may push the opening to August. My source promises to keep me updated so I'll be sure to follow up with any new info.

Personally, I'll be very disappointed if the opening is delayed. I have a trip planned out Disneyland in June.
Uh... Bob Iger said Disneyland will open in June...

I agree with rteetz. Iger/Disney has already released an official opening for GE in the month of June. There is some speculation it will open around June 20th based of blackout dates.

I am not at all optimistic. I think that DLR crowding will be problematic for all of the reasons listed throughout this thread, but I do not believe WDW will be much better. I was shocked how tight TSL was, and this Land is not the huge deal SWGE is going to be. Even as a place holder for guests, I feel it to be claustrophobic. Pandora attractions are still experienceing a long wait time, with FOP needing a CM just to keep the pathways open for guests to cross because the SB queues are so long.

I just think about what the MK is like on a Saturday night during the Fall when there are limited evenings for nightime entertainment and F&W is in full swing. Those poor CM's lose control early on and it just gets worse as the Castle shows approach. I belive that if after all these years Disney cannot figure out how to manage the crowds on the three nights the park is open during Party Season, they will have a tough time managing them when GE opens in a similarly small park.

My gut feeling is that the crowd control mechanisms for SWGE will be pretty basic - queue for entering the land with a specific holding area and typical FPs/ADRs that allow access to the land itself as well. I think the ADRs will be the most coveted thing going...

Oh yes, ADR's!!! I bet that while there may be one or two members of a family who really want GE, there will be more like me who love themed dining, even if they never step foot on an attraction.

Uh... Bob Iger said Disneyland will open in June...

although they could cover with previews/soft openings vs full opening if there truly are delays. I assume their intent is for it to be fully open in June but if there are legit delays I bet they could have some sort of preview / soft opening on June 30th and still say they opened in June

On the flip side if they are ready early they could start those previews in May and then have Full Opening in June

In either scenario Iger would still technically be correct if they want to spin it that way

They wouldn't do it, but I'd love for them to do one fast pass to enter the land and occupy it and the attractions for a 2 hours window or something like that. With no fast pass for the 2 attractions themselves.

They wouldn't do it, but I'd love for them to do one fast pass to enter the land and occupy it and the attractions for a 2 hours window or something like that. With no fast pass for the 2 attractions themselves.

would be interesting ... though I think there will be that option, just not via a Fastpass, it will be via a hard ticket event (early magic hours, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter