Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millennium Falcon is the coolest (and fastest) hunk of junk in the galaxy, no doubt. But who would like to see this bad boy taking off and hovering above the domed rooftops of Galaxy's Edge?
full

The concept: near-real-scale ship replicas that actually take-off/land, rotate and appear to fly over roof tops and visitors heads via hidden booms attached to building's roof tops. Imagine cast memebers or even park guests getting into a blaster battle with Boba fett's Slave 1. :)
view

view

view

Not sure if they could go that big with something hovering over people - but it would be neat if they do somehow give the illusion of ships taking off and landing (that always seems to be part of the visual of cities in the Star Wars Universe - ships coming and going)

Given the location it would seem that the easiest would be to theme it to one of the attractions it is between and then expand that IP to more of a courtyard/mini-land ... so that would be Muppets or Indiana Jones - both of which could be pretty cool simulators

I'm also of the opinion they will keep current Star Tours open for a few years after SWE opens. After that, I'd love to see an Indy courtyard, with the simulator rethemed and the quick service redone.

If Disney is smart, they'd keep Launch Bay open for a bit too after SWE opens, just to spread out the Star Wars crush.
I'm actually trying to plan a trip with the DH and step son right before SWE opens, so that we can wait a couple years and go back and focus on the new stuff, including SWE.

I'm curious if Star Tours could actually be relocated into the new land simply by creating a new entrance and exit route. It would probably take 6-9 months to build the new access routes and theming in the cue from SWL, but still be able to use the existing building. That would allow them to keep a Star Wars attraction, move most of the cue indoors, and create a decent sized pad for a different attraction where the current cue and Jedi training sits.

I think it will be too much work and TBH, while it can be kept updated with the clips, it is an old simulator and there comes a point where it needs to go.

I would be surprised if after 2019 that whole Star Tours/ Indy section is bulldozed for another land.

Merchandise within the land!

Sneak A Peek At The Toydarian Wares Coming To Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge

Just moments ago, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Bob Chapek shared an update on the progress of the highly anticipated land, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and shared a sneak peek at the unique Toydarian merchandise guests will find exclusively in the land.

At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, guests will visit the planet of Batuu, a remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge that was once a busy crossroads along the old sub-lightspeed trade routes. Here, guests will find themselves in the middle of the action at two attractions that take detail and immersion to the next level: one that lets guests take the controls of Millennium Falcon on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.

Guests will also be able to explore a street market run by a Toydarian, a character first introduced in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” Among his wares will be handcrafted toys made by local artisans, like those seen above.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is set to open at both the Disneyland and the Walt Disney World Resorts in 2019.

Star Wars hotel

Star Wars-Inspired Resort Planned for Walt Disney World Resort Promises to be ‘Unlike Anything That Exists Today’

Last edited:

Really wish they would give a better indication of dates as I know I want to go next year - Thinking October, for F&W and Halloween Party, but if it's not opening till Thanksgiving will need to re-plan.

Unfortunately there not gonna give a opening date until 2019. We haven’t even got a TSL opening date and that’s supposed to open soon.

Unfortunately there not gonna give a opening date until 2019. We haven’t even got a TSL opening date and that’s supposed to open soon.

I was assuming that, and they would probably wait till D23, but from a planning point of view, it makes it a lot harder :(

I was assuming that, and they would probably wait till D23, but from a planning point of view, it makes it a lot harder :(

I understand. I think it’s a safe bet to say it will definitely be open by the 2019 holiday season.

(This fits in Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies because visitors will need to read the book to get the most out of their Hollywood Studios visit!!)

So this is a first, I think. An area in a Disney theme park is going to have a novel written about it to make it canon in the Star Wars universe and set the stage for the lore visitors will find there..

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/thanks...-will-already-be-canon-when-star-wars-galaxys

(Official link to the book here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...nces-star-wars-by-timothy-zahn/9780525480488/)

Get ready to visit Batuu with Vader and Thrawn (possibly the worst tour guides of all time) on July 24, and then get ready to visit it in person when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens in 2019!

It has something to do with The Emperor sending Vader and Thrawn over to Galaxy's Edge to go take care of some Rebel nonsense. The article says the book takes place 30 years before the events of (the Hollywood Studio's park opening) whatever is going to go on at the Star Wars land, so it make's Edge an official location in the Star Wars universe.

It's being written by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Zahn
He won a Hugo, he's not some second rate bum Disney pulled in to write a Star Wars fan fiction book, this is going to be the real deal.

I've read books before going to see a movie but never had to get through one before going to an amusement park.

So, does anyone plan on reading it before going?

It’s the second book in the new (Disney canon) Thrawn trilogy so not something written specifically for Galaxy’s Edge.

I guess it’s just a fun way to get a taste of what’s to come when it opens.....

It's the first appearance of Batuu in any form of Star Wars media. Considering Batuu only exists because of Galaxy's Edge this is most definitely a promotional tie in done by Disney to stir up interest in the theme park. Zahn wouldn't have randomly picked it himself.

I was very excited when I saw Zahn was writing another Star Wars book, I am less excited now to see it's somehow related to the new land. IMHO Zahn's books are, by far, the best Star Wars books.

I enjoyed the first book (top 3 SW cannon books IMO) and already had this book on preorder.

I was excited to read this book because Timothy Zahn is a great writer and I love his Thrawn books specifically. I didn't know it would feature Baatu but that's a nice little call out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter