Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be right, but the verbiage of later this year builds in enough ambiguity to keep the public in suspense.

What I would have tabled in the concept/design phase is a mode B option should the technical team(s) encounter delays; they built it into Navi River Journey with the animinatronic. Use the mode B to hit your release date, while continually working/testing the primary mode A. Maybe they already have this incorporated into the attraction?

Based on what I've heard about RotR, comparing it with Nav'i (in terms of A and B mode) is apples and oranges. A mode in Nav'i is the animatronic while B mode is the shaman on a projection. The VR element and interactive response from the program aren't something you can easily swap out.

Based on what I've heard about RotR, comparing it with Nav'i (in terms of A and B mode) is apples and oranges. A mode in Nav'i is the animatronic while B mode is the shaman on a projection. The VR element and interactive response from the program aren't something you can easily swap out.

Not necessarily as I could define B mode as a partial function. It's not a comparison of projection vs. animatronic, but rather a mode that is meant to substitute a non-working entity.

Not necessarily as I could define B mode as a partial function. It's not a comparison of projection vs. animatronic, but rather a mode that is meant to substitute a non-working entity.

True - but even B mode would have to be more robust than any existing B mode operations. I guess my take on it is that the whole ride concept is more complex than what we've seen thus far, so the fact that they weren't able to soft open the ride in a B mode makes sense to me, especially knowing things happened about 2 months ahead of schedule for the rest of the land.

I am still confused how the project management team could let the RotR schedule slip. I understand it is attempting to use new, and likely never before done technology, but the schedule should have that built in before giving a rough timeline for opening to the public.

Now, I have to question a double money grab to those guests that want to return to SWGE to ride RotR.
Sounds like there was an unforeseen technical challenge.

Cutting edge technology projects that I've managed always had unforeseen circumstances; that is not my criticism. My angst with this situation is you always build in schedule buffers to address the unknowns as to give the projected schedule the best chance of success. I do foresee that the vendor(s) that have caused this schedule shift will be monetarily culpable (not to mention a little "black mark" for future projects). Again, it's not that I question the difficulty of the technology being used; it's the schedule management that appears to be lacking.

Cutting edge technology projects that I've managed always had unforeseen circumstances; that is not my criticism. My angst with this situation is you always build in schedule buffers to address the unknowns as to give the projected schedule the best chance of success. I do foresee that the vendor(s) that have caused this schedule shift will be monetarily culpable (not to mention a little "black mark" for future projects). Again, it's not that I question the difficulty of the technology being used; it's the schedule management that appears to be lacking.
I do think the way they are opening this is intentional. They probably knew a while ago that RotR wouldn’t be open by August 29th so they decided to just hold it back and open everything else instead of waiting to open everything at once.

True - but even B mode would have to be more robust than any existing B mode operations. I guess my take on it is that the whole ride concept is more complex than what we've seen thus far, so the fact that they weren't able to soft open the ride in a B mode makes sense to me, especially knowing things happened about 2 months ahead of schedule for the rest of the land.

Yes, B mode would need to be well thought out. I also don't think B mode is reserved for just opening day, but as a means to keep the attraction online, while servicing the faulty A mode in the future.

Was it really schedule management being a problem if the land opened 2 months ahead of schedule, but the technology on the one ride is still on course to finish according to the original schedule? Obvs I don't know finer details, but if RotR is still on track to be ready when it was originally projected (Oct/Nov), I don't see the vendors being liable for anything.

I want to believe it wasn't by design. I think there will be several groups of guests. The "must be there regardless of RoTR is open" and then those that will wait and even a 3rd that will do both (this is the money grab scenario).

The schedule should be holistic covering concept, design through final delivery with sufficient testing. If it is a technical oversight in scheduling, it doesn't exactly place confidence in future release dates.

I agree with this .

I don’t believe they are running behind on ROTR (maybe in Land, but definitely not World) the rest is probably running early / scheduled. Particularly after we got that press release last week saying they are running ahead of schedule - and the free dining package. This is just a fortunate money grab, and a fortunate way of controlling and dividing the crowds. They have taken a whole bunch of their onsite occupancy with free dining, of people who intentionally wanted to miss this opening. Some are still going but staying away from Galaxy’s Edge (that’s cool, Disney still got your money), some are changing their dates (that’s cool, Disney are re-selling that room for higher price now), some people are coming back twice now (that’s cool, Disney gets double your money). And the best bit is - the sooner they open that land, the sooner they are making back that $1Billion investment and people are buying $200 lightsabers, blue and green milk.

It’s genius and I can see why they are doing.

Last edited:
I do think the way they are opening this is intentional. They probably knew a while ago that RotR wouldn’t be open by August 29th so they decided to just hold it back and open everything else instead of waiting to open everything at once.

Perhaps, but maybe they needed to shift vendors for the technical integration as the primary one couldn't deliver per the timeline/spec.? Again, you typically build those contingencies into a risk schedule before going public. The planning stage for a schedule can take months/years before releasing for execution. I can't tell you how many times I heard my engineers say something like "we've never done this before, I can't give you a projection". To which I would respond, "I look to you, your experience and background to give a credible schedule". It's not harsh, but about having the optimum resources in place for that aspect of the project.

I am not disagreeing with an incomplete opening, well, actually I guess I am. I think the project management team got caught off-guard and didn't have enough schedule buffer to maintain the original timeline.

Perhaps, but maybe they needed to shift vendors for the technical integration as the primary one couldn't deliver per the timeline/spec.? Again, you typically build those contingencies into a risk schedule before going public. The planning stage for a schedule can take months/years before releasing for execution. I can't tell you how many times I heard my engineers say something like "we've never done this before, I can't give you a projection". To which I would respond, "I look to you, your experience and background to give a credible schedule". It's not harsh, but about having the optimum resources in place for that aspect of the project.

I am not disagreeing with an incomplete opening, well, actually I guess I am. I think the project management team got caught off-guard and didn't have enough schedule buffer to maintain the original timeline.
I would agree with that.

Was it really schedule management being a problem if the land opened 2 months ahead of schedule, but the technology on the one ride is still on course to finish according to the original schedule? Obvs I don't know finer details, but if RotR is still on track to be ready when it was originally projected (Oct/Nov), I don't see the vendors being liable for anything.

Is DL SWGE RotR scheduled to open in June? I thought they said later this year? For WDW SWGE, I don't see a schedule slip at this time.

Is DL SWGE RotR scheduled to open in June? I thought they said later this year? For WDW SWGE, I don't see a schedule slip at this time.
There is no specific date for either coasts RotR yet. It’s been rumored July/August for DL and November for WDW.

I don’t believe they are running behind on ROTR (maybe in Land, but definitely not World) the rest is probably running early / scheduled. Particularly after we got that press release last week saying they are running ahead of schedule - and the free dining package. This is just a fortunate money grab, and a fortunate way of controlling and dividing the crowds. They have taken a whole bunch of their onsite occupancy with free dining, of people who intentionally wanted to miss this opening. Some are still going but staying away from Galaxy’s Edge (that’s cool, Disney still got your money), some are changing their dates (that’s cool, Disney are re-selling that room for higher price now), some people are coming back twice now (that’s cool, Disney gets double your money). And the best bit is - the sooner they open that land, the sooner they are making back that $1Billion investmmf and people are buying $200 lightsabers, blue and green milk.

It’s genius and I can see why they are doing.

I just recognize it's a possible scenario and not saying it is fact. But I also wouldn't disagree with your assessment.

I just recognize it's a possible scenario and not saying it is fact. But I also wouldn't disagree with your assessment.

We’ll know when ROTR opens I guess. If we’re waiting a month or two - definitely the first half running ahead of schedule and a way to sneak some extra money in earlier. If DL don’t have ROTR in “Summer” then absolutely; technical difficulties and this is their serendipitous way of saving face.

Hmmmm.... Reminds me of Rivers of Light (different technology, I know). We had a great time with our Rumors of Light community thread, I wonder if we'll have a separate watch thread, "Rumors of Resistance" heh.

I'm okay with multiple soft openings, which is what I consider these initial weeks of the SW:GE to be. There may be some Twi'leks along the way, I mean tweeks. ;)

:grouphug:

Hmmmm.... Reminds me of Rivers of Light (different technology, I know). We had a great time with our Rumors of Light community thread, I wonder if we'll have a separate watch thread, "Rumors of Resistance" heh.

I'm okay with multiple soft openings, which is what I consider these initial weeks of the SW:GE to be. There may be some Twi'leks along the way, I mean tweeks. ;)

:grouphug:
This at least isn’t announcing an opening date and then having to miss it.

If you were traveling to WDW for opening day and staying onsite, where would you stay?

Just decided to extend out Aug 20-28 trip. Will do a split stay so i'm looking for a new resort. Looks like quite a few resorts are booked already but if everything was available where would you stay?

If you were traveling to WDW for opening day and staying onsite, where would you stay?

Just decided to extend out Aug 20-28 trip. Will do a split stay so i'm looking for a new resort. Looks like quite a few resorts are booked already but if everything was available where would you stay?
If I could afford it, I'd stay at the Boardwalk Inn so walking would be an easy option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts