Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were traveling to WDW for opening day and staying onsite, where would you stay?

Just decided to extend out Aug 20-28 trip. Will do a split stay so i'm looking for a new resort. Looks like quite a few resorts are booked already but if everything was available where would you stay?
One of the Epcot resorts so you are able to walk to the entrance of DHS

Hmmmm.... Reminds me of Rivers of Light (different technology, I know). We had a great time with our Rumors of Light community thread, I wonder if we'll have a separate watch thread, "Rumors of Resistance" heh.

I'm okay with multiple soft openings, which is what I consider these initial weeks of the SW:GE to be. There may be some Twi'leks along the way, I mean tweeks. ;)

:grouphug:

I was discussing going to the opening with my mom. She said what if this turns out to be another Rivers of Light! I told her this seemed different and unlikely that they would not open any of it on Aug 29. So we booked a short trip over opening.

I lucked out, I will be attending a convention on Sept 5 - 9th at Coronado Springs so I tacked days on at the beginning starting with August 30th. I am excited! I will dedicate 1 day to just sitting in line for DHS, but I will plan to be back..maybe in October. What kind of information do we know about the Millenium Falcon? I'm a chicken when it comes to roller coasters, but have been on everything but Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World. Does anyone know what type of track or car this ride system is supposed to be (or anything, really)? Inquiring minds wanna know.

I lucked out, I will be attending a convention on Sept 5 - 9th at Coronado Springs so I tacked days on at the beginning starting with August 30th. I am excited! I will dedicate 1 day to just sitting in line for DHS, but I will plan to be back..maybe in October. What kind of information do we know about the Millenium Falcon? I'm a chicken when it comes to roller coasters, but have been on everything but Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World. Does anyone know what type of track or car this ride system is supposed to be (or anything, really)? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I think it’s a simulator which I personally am not a fan of. But I will man up and try it when I get the chance. I have to. It’s the Falcon!

Falcon is a simulator. Think along the lines of Star Tours.

If you were traveling to WDW for opening day and staying onsite, where would you stay?

Just decided to extend out Aug 20-28 trip. Will do a split stay so i'm looking for a new resort. Looks like quite a few resorts are booked already but if everything was available where would you stay?
We're staying Pop for 5 nights for the excitement of SWGE then relaxing at Poly studio for 2 nights followed my CCV studio for 2 nights. We also have MNSSHP thrown in for good measure :) I do agree with the Boardwalk idea, though. I'm guessing the walk will be better now that the DHS bus depot should be back to normal?

We're staying Pop for 5 nights for the excitement of SWGE then relaxing at Poly studio for 2 nights followed my CCV studio for 2 nights. We also have MNSSHP thrown in for good measure :) I do agree with the Boardwalk idea, though. I'm guessing the walk will be better now that the DHS bus depot should be back to normal?
The regular, old walkway from the epcot resorts has been back to normal for a couple of months now

The regular, old walkway from the epcot resorts has been back to normal for a couple of months now
Wonderful! We'll definitely do some walking, then! We haven't been back since December but come to think of it we haven't stayed at BW since October!

Given the post Pete referred to in the Disneyland Show yesterday, I am more inclined to believe there is ROTR problems (at the very least at DisneyLAND) which has made them re-think the initial opening strategies, and has landed us to here. I do believe however, that they really have done the best they could given the problems, and holding off on ROTR and opening that bit earlier than we expected will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
And it seems the “crowds, crowds, crowds, crowds” narrative has slowed down a little.
Thoughts?

Given the post Pete referred to in the Disneyland Show yesterday, I am more inclined to believe there is ROTR problems (at the very least at DisneyLAND) which has made them re-think the initial opening strategies, and has landed us to here. I do believe however, that they really have done the best they could given the problems, and holding off on ROTR and opening that bit earlier than we expected will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
And it seems the “crowds, crowds, crowds, crowds” narrative has slowed down a little.
Thoughts?
I'm going to say that the majority of vbloggers/fansites are saying that opening months will not be as crowded as first thought. I continue to think that it will be crowded and that only looking at on site hotel bookings is not enough to have a valid gauge into how popular it will be. Speaking only about WDW there are so many resorts,hotels, motels, vacation homes all around property that poor WDW room bookings should not be used as the only point of view. Also I continue to believe that it's better to plan for extreme crowds and then be pleasantly surprised if it's not as bad

I'm going to say that the majority of vbloggers/fansites are saying that opening months will not be as crowded as first thought. I continue to think that it will be crowded and that only looking at on site hotel bookings is not enough to have a valid gauge into how popular it will be. Speaking only about WDW there are so many resorts,hotels, motels, vacation homes all around property that poor WDW room bookings should not be used as the only point of view. Also I continue to believe that it's better to plan for extreme crowds and then be pleasantly surprised if it's not as bad

See, on the flip side, I have always believed that it wouldn’t be as bad as what was being made out. I thought the opening few days, sure. I agreed with the Pandora- “I hold the longest wait times in WDW” / Darth Vader - “hold my beer” memes. Of course, these rides will be the longest waits in WDW until something else comes along. But for me- the Disneyland opening first, the 2 places to see it and the fact that the amount of “Uber-SW nerds” compared to the regular, normal, people who go to DW everyday is not THAT many.

Sure; Star Wards nerds will come, they’ll see it, they’ll love it, they’ll appreciate it, they’ll want to absorb every detail. But they aren’t quitting their life and moving to Galaxy’s Edge to retire.

See, on the flip side, I have always believed that it wouldn’t be as bad as what was being made out. I thought the opening few days, sure. I agreed with the Pandora- “I hold the longest wait times in WDW” / Darth Vader - “hold my beer” memes. Of course, these rides will be the longest waits in WDW until something else comes along. But for me- the Disneyland opening first, the 2 places to see it and the fact that the amount of “Uber-SW nerds” compared to the regular, normal, people who go to DW everyday is not THAT many.

Sure; Star Wards nerds will come, they’ll see it, they’ll love it, they’ll appreciate it, they’ll want to absorb every detail. But they aren’t quitting their life and moving to Galaxy’s Edge to retire.

ITA. I think a lot go to DL simply because it’s first.

Falcon is a simulator. Think along the lines of Star Tours.

In the beginning, it was indicated that FOP was like Soarin on steroids. Could the same be said for comparing Star Tours to Falcon? Star Tours makes me ill, so if that's the case, that takes care of that. lol

In the beginning, it was indicated that FOP was like Soarin on steroids. Could the same be said for comparing Star Tours to Falcon? Star Tours makes me ill, so if that's the case, that takes care of that. lol
We won't know for sure until it opens but if Star Tours makes you sick I would expect this to do the same.

We will be down in the parks from August 17 - 31 - Already had the trip planned before the GE announcement - I'm thrilled that we will be there over the opening time frame as I am a huge SW fan - however, we have to go either on day 1 or day 2 of the park opening - if you were me, which would you do? I know that I can't actually ride the new ride as I get super sick - I more just want to see the land - getting some kind of food/drink - maybe waiting on line for merchandise - we would be setting the entire day aside for GE - we are prepared to be there very early - - we are staying at Boardwalk Inn for that portion and can walk to DHS -

it would be cool to be there on Day 1 but not a necessity - Is there going to be any difference between Aug 29 or the 30? Which would you do?

Thanks so much for all of the information on this board - as always, so helpful for planning!

We will be down in the parks from August 17 - 31 - Already had the trip planned before the GE announcement - I'm thrilled that we will be there over the opening time frame as I am a huge SW fan - however, we have to go either on day 1 or day 2 of the park opening - if you were me, which would you do? I know that I can't actually ride the new ride as I get super sick - I more just want to see the land - getting some kind of food/drink - maybe waiting on line for merchandise - we would be setting the entire day aside for GE - we are prepared to be there very early - - we are staying at Boardwalk Inn for that portion and can walk to DHS -

it would be cool to be there on Day 1 but not a necessity - Is there going to be any difference between Aug 29 or the 30? Which would you do?

Thanks so much for all of the information on this board - as always, so helpful for planning!
There's nothing like being at disney on the day a new attraction or land opens. That said it will be crowded, will it be crowded day 2? Yes
The same way? We don't know
So if I didn't NEED to be there for day I would wait for day 2 and read reports to see how the handheld the crowds

There's nothing like being at disney on the day a new attraction or land opens. That said it will be crowded, will it be crowded day 2? Yes
The same way? We don't know
So if I didn't NEED to be there for day I would wait for day 2 and read reports to see how the handheld the crowds
Great thoughts - Thank you for weighing in! I feel like it will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us - something our DD8 will remember forever - maybe it will just need to be Day 1.... and I'll bring the book along with me to read for full immersion as you suggested! :-)

...it would be cool to be there on Day 1 but not a necessity - Is there going to be any difference between Aug 29 or the 30? Which would you do?
THIS! I've been considering this since the announcement. I'd have to extend our trip an extra night, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to see GE without the chaos of opening day. Does one day really matter? So many questions... how early to get there? I wonder how much light the opening in California might shed on the future in Orlando :confused3 Gah! :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter