Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does everyone think it's okay to have line holders? I would think everyone must be in your party - I know our party would not be happy standing in line for a long time then have several big groups meet up with their parties ahead of us. I hope Disney is on top of this like they do (or try to) when guests are standing in line to get into an attraction or the parks.

I agree with you on everything.I have it happen on a very small scale and with not a lot of time added at my local park and it is annoying. I would not be happy either having a big group come in and wait either.

I'm going on opening day - staying at the Boardwalk. It's a solo trip for me. My current plan is to walk over between 2-3am.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to handle a seat. It's difficult for me to get on the ground and I won't have access to a car to put a chair into. I'll figure it out I hope. Wonder if they will let me bring in my little 3 legged stool that folds up tiny and goes in my backpack? I used that at D23 Expo in 2017.

I arrive the afternoon of the day before so I'll most likely walk over and check what's going on at DHS. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a soft opening.

I'm trying to keep my schedule pretty open. Currently only have MNSSHP booked.

It seems like Oga's Cantina will be a very popular place so we plan to head there first thing at least one of our mornings at DHS......but the rhetorical question remains.....who wants to drink at that hour of the morning? We know we want the beer flight in the souvenir tray gizmo and I really need the other souvenir mugs.

It seems like Oga's Cantina will be a very popular place so we plan to head there first thing at least one of our mornings at DHS......but the rhetorical question remains.....who wants to drink at that hour of the morning? We know we want the beer flight in the souvenir tray gizmo and I really need the other souvenir mugs.
I really want the Yub Nub souvenir glass. And a Fuzzy Tauntaun. At 6am. Hell, it’s vacation! Line em up :drinking1

Do you think Savi's Workshop will be busy at rope drop as well?
yes, it has proven to be very popular. I am expecting Disney to go full out reservation system like they do with Jedi Training. First come first served, you go, sign up for a time slot and they will tell you when to come back

yes, it has proven to be very popular. I am expecting Disney to go full out reservation system like they do with Jedi Training. First come first served, you go, sign up for a time slot and they will tell you when to come back
*this* it would make the most sense and allow the people waiting to explore the planet and spend more galactic credits.

This is essentially what they did at Disneyland on opening day but there have been reports of it operating differently on any given day/time. You paid then were given the next available time slot as your return time. I think part of the reason it’s a bit of a mess right now is they had projections for how long the experience would take and most are going over that projected time. I think they were expecting to get in 3-4 groups a hour but it’s at about 2-3 right now

This is essentially what they did at Disneyland on opening day but there have been reports of it operating differently on any given day/time. You paid then were given the next available time slot as your return time. I think part of the reason it’s a bit of a mess right now is they had projections for how long the experience would take and most are going over that projected time. I think they were expecting to get in 3-4 groups a hour but it’s at about 2-3 right now

To add to that
: there's a whole script that goes with the creation of the lightsaber, that the cast member recites, involving the Force and how the saber unites with the builder etc. (it's all on YouTube). When GE opened it was longer and more elaborate, but according to some reports it's already been pared down, presumably to hurry things along and get more people through.
IMO that's a shame, because part of what you're paying $200 for is the experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if by the time Orlando's GE opens there's no script at all - it's just get people in, help them build the saber, and push 'em out the door.

Last edited:
To add to that [SPOILER for the saber-building proceess]: there's a whole script that goes with the creation of the lightsaber, that the cast member recites, involving the Force and how the saber unites with the builder etc. (it's all on YouTube). When GE opened it was longer and more elaborate, but according to some reports it's already been pared down, presumably to hurry things along and get more people through. IMO that's a shame, because part of what you're paying $200 for is the experience, but I wouldn't be suprised if by the time Orlando's GE opens there's no script at all - it's just get people in, help them build the saber, and push 'em out the door.
That would be sad, indeed. I just got done working 28 hours of overtime over the last 2 weeks......and that's about what we'll need for all of our extra souvenirs from SWGE! We both want lightsabers and droids and I will want some furry little friends to take home. DH wants the Oga's beer flight thingie and I want the mugs. What we will do with all of this at home afterwards? We're going to have to get creative, lol!

Not surprised that they've shortened the lightsaber script, as it was originally quite long and they're really struggling to get people in and out to make more money. They should have built more than one room so they could do more than a small number at a time. I agree that by the end it'll be "Hi, here's your parts, here's how to put it together, yay you built a lightsaber, thanks, next!"

Someone on Twitter also said that he's seen people go right from Savi's to a nearby bench where I guess they take pictures of the lightsaber in order to sell it on ebay. This right next to a tweet about a fan in tears because she came to GE just to build a lightsaber but couldn't get in because all the slots for her reservation went in five minutes, and you have to think at least some of those slots went to people who only wanted to make a quick buck.

So I'm curious why WDW is not implementing the same "reservations" type system that they did at DL for Star Wars opening. From what I am reading and hearing DL opening seems to be going well with crowd control. Why wouldn't they do the same at WDW?:confused3

So I'm curious why WDW is not implementing the same "reservations" type system that they did at DL for Star Wars opening. From what I am reading and hearing DL opening seems to be going well with crowd control. Why wouldn't they do the same at WDW?:confused3
WDW has 30,000 hotel rooms. DL has a few thousand. Quite different setups.

We are staying club level at the Beach Club August 29th-31st, and I was hoping that staying club level at a Disney Resort would offer some sort of benefit to be able to get into SWGE ahead of the general public. However, with no fast passes, no reservations, and opening at 6:00 am for everyone, it looks like the only way to guarantee a spot is to camp in line overnight. I can't justify spending that much money on a CL room to camp out on the side walk! I am not above camping with fellow Star Wars devotees, but now I am considering ditching the club level room for a standard or just coming back another time for SWGE and go to Food and Wine instead! Is anyone else feeling a little salty about the way the Disney World opening appears to be unfolding, or is this what opening day veterans were expecting?

We are staying club level at the Beach Club August 29th-31st, and I was hoping that staying club level at a Disney Resort would offer some sort of benefit to be able to get into SWGE ahead of the general public. However, with no fast passes, no reservations, and opening at 6:00 am for everyone, it looks like the only way to guarantee a spot is to camp in line overnight. I can't justify spending that much money on a CL room to camp out on the side walk! I am not above camping with fellow Star Wars devotees, but now I am considering ditching the club level room for a standard or just coming back another time for SWGE and go to Food and Wine instead! Is anyone else feeling a little salty about the way the Disney World opening appears to be unfolding, or is this what opening day veterans were expecting?
I booked a reservation at a value as soon as the dates were announced. When they announced EEMH and said no reservation system would be in place for the first three days I moved my reservation to September. I don't feel salty because they never said that having a wdw reservation would give any advantage, now I was able to get my name into a friend's reservation that she's keeping for opening day and added her to my September 2nd reservation just in case they change their minds, which they can always do, with Disney you never know. I have learned not to expect anything that isn't written down and published by Disney

I booked a reservation at a value as soon as the dates were announced. When they announced EEMH and said no reservation system would be in place for the first three days I moved my reservation to September. I don't feel salty because they never said that having a wdw reservation would give any advantage, now I was able to get my name into a friend's reservation that she's keeping for opening day and added her to my September 2nd reservation just in case they change their minds, which they can always do, with Disney you never know. I have learned not to expect anything that isn't written down and published by Disney
We moved our September trip up to the end of August when they announced the opening. I suppose we are gluttons for punishment, lol! Incidently booked at POP and really looking forward to our first stay there. Then to relax a bit we'll change resorts for 2 nights at Poly and end with 2 nights at CCV. I have definitely planned a lot of down time as I expect it'll be quite hot. Really excited to buy that "misting fan" while on Batuu! I expect that may help with the heat situation. I suppose allowing everyone to get inside GE at 0600 is the most fair thing to do. Wasn't planning on utilizing the scheduled EMH on sunday but we will now since that should be exclusive to resort guests. It'll be a really fun and tiring trip!

Salty is definitely the right word. We’ll be at Beach Club CL for the same dates. Still hoping there’s something more nuanced than a giant line.

I’m also at Beach Club (not CL) and was hoping there might be some advantage but am also a big fan of the Food & Wine festival so knew it wouldn’t be a loss. On the one hand, part of me likes that it’s a level playing field. But the old and pampered part of me says “no way” to camping out and/or hours-long lines no matter how much I want to be part of the excitement. Can’t wait to see how it all shakes out ... but as I said, will be perfectly happy hitting F&W - hopefully with low(er) crowds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter