Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be there the first 3 days of opening and trying to figure out the best way to bring the kids to SWGE. Is it kosher to hold a place in the rope drop line and have wife/2 kids join around 5a? I am pretty sensitive about these types of issues and don’t want to do something the majority feel is unfair.

I was wondering the same thing - if I got online at 4am would DH and DD8 be able to join an hour or so later? I guess I don't want them to miss rope drop though if they open up early... I know realistically there is no way to get DD8 in the line before 4am! But I could see myself up and pacing in the hotel room way earlier - too excited to sleep! I certainly wouldn't want to upset those around by having them join me later though.

I was wondering the same thing - if I got online at 4am would DH and DD8 be able to join an hour or so later? I guess I don't want them to miss rope drop though if they open up early... I know realistically there is no way to get DD8 in the line before 4am! But I could see myself up and pacing in the hotel room way earlier - too excited to sleep! I certainly wouldn't want to upset those around by having them join me later though.
like I said this was done before with no problem, but
a) we don;t know how the line up system will be
b) we don't know the exact time that tapstiles will open and they will allow people in
TBH I am planning for them to open at 5am to walk people over to Grand Ave and the Muppet courtyard

We are planning on driving over to HS around 2:30am (8/29), how much of a headache should we expect parking to be?

We are planning on driving over to HS around 2:30am (8/29), how much of a headache should we expect parking to be?
if they allow people to park at whatever time the want, not so much. If they limit the parking lot to start at, let's say midnight, might be some traffic

Am I crazy to be pondering going to opening day on both coasts? Disneyland is already a sure thing (8pm-midnight on the 31st) but I can probably swing a Wed-Fri trip to WDW for about $500 (airfare, food, & merch). The main thing swaying me towards going is being able to get the true opening day experience at WDW that I won't get at DLR.

Am I crazy to be pondering going to opening day on both coasts? Disneyland is already a sure thing (8pm-midnight on the 31st) but I can probably swing a Wed-Fri trip to WDW for about $500 (airfare, food, & merch). The main thing swaying me towards going is being able to get the true opening day experience at WDW that I won't get at DLR.

If you’re crazy I am too. I did it the opposite way though. I planned to be at WDW initially, then emotions got to me and I booked a trip for DL as well. When my boss heard the opening dates she put in my vacation request for me. She knew I was a goner. My reservation for DL is 5/31 11-3. You’re not alone.

like I said this was done before with no problem, but
a) we don;t know how the line up system will be
b) we don't know the exact time that tapstiles will open and they will allow people in
TBH I am planning for them to open at 5am to walk people over to Grand Ave and the Muppet courtyard

Excellent points - thanks so much

Hopping in here. Got an AP during my trip last week and said what the heck I’ll do a solo trip to see the chaos. Going 8/27-8/30. I’m guessing I’ll go to DHs at close on the 28th and see if people are already lining up for the next morning. If it’s nuts I’ll just do F&W on the 29th

First post but long time lurker! For what it's worth, I also plan on being at HS the evening of the 28th to scope everything out. If line starts forming (or looks like it might be headed that way) I've volunteered to begin the line wait for the friends I'm going with. Our newest dilemma: If there are two lines split between the land and merchandise we may need to split our party so we don't miss out on any limited items. Anybody else thinking about how to handle this potential issue?

First post but long time lurker! For what it's worth, I also plan on being at HS the evening of the 28th to scope everything out. If line starts forming (or looks like it might be headed that way) I've volunteered to begin the line wait for the friends I'm going with. Our newest dilemma: If there are two lines split between the land and merchandise we may need to split our party so we don't miss out on any limited items. Anybody else thinking about how to handle this potential issue?
I can guarantee that they will have a merchandise line and a land line, they have done this before during SWW, for the opening of Pandora, they know how hot those items are.

Does everyone think it's okay to have line holders? I would think everyone must be in your party - I know our party would not be happy standing in line for a long time then have several big groups meet up with their parties ahead of us. I hope Disney is on top of this like they do (or try to) when guests are standing in line to get into an attraction or the parks.

Does everyone think it's okay to have line holders? I would think everyone must be in your party - I know our party would not be happy standing in line for a long time then have several big groups meet up with their parties ahead of us. I hope Disney is on top of this like they do (or try to) when guests are standing in line to get into an attraction or the parks.

I don't have a problem with line holders in terms of getting into the land. It's different from having line holders in a ride line, where the seating is specifically limited and not having everyone present in the line could cause major logistics issues for the CM's managing flow. Though I'm hoping they use a virtual queue system with return times to enter the land, it would help manage the flow, redirect bodies into the park, encourage park hopping (for those who get later return times), and accommodate the many families with smaller children (who just don't have 4 hour line tolerance) that will want to see the land.

Star Wars Language

• Bright Suns - Good Day
  • Rising Moons - Good Evening
  • Till the Spire - Till we meet again or Goodbye
  • Good Run - Good Luck
  • On Planet - In the land
  • Refresher - Bathroom
  • Hydrator - Water fountain
  • Ignite the Spark - Greeting for the Resistance
  • Light the Fire - Resistance callback to Ignite the Spark
  • Only the Ancients know - I don't know
  • Good Journey - An Informal Goodbye
  • May the Spires Keep You - A Formal Goodbye

Star Wars Language

• Bright Suns - Good Day
  • Rising Moons - Good Evening
  • Till the Spire - Till we meet again or Goodbye
  • Good Run - Good Luck
  • On Planet - In the land
  • Refresher - Bathroom
  • Hydrator - Water fountain
  • Ignite the Spark - Greeting for the Resistance
  • Light the Fire - Resistance callback to Ignite the Spark
  • Only the Ancients know - I don't know
  • Good Journey - An Informal Goodbye
  • May the Spires Keep You - A Formal Goodbye
As in...
“Will I ever escape this sea of humanity corralled on Grand Avenue?...Only the Ancients know.”

This would be a interesting strategy.

MK has emh on the night of the 28th til midnight.

So could kill some time there then head over to HS and get there around 1am.

Would shorten your wait time could see them opening HS at 430 so you would only be waiting for 3:30.

I feel like opening day at DL went fairly well. I hope this means they implement so kind of return window system for WDW.

I agree. Seeing the photos of opening day (and this weekend) and it was not the sea of humanity I would have expected. Looks like they did a great job at keep the crowds reasonable "on planet". I am super jealous and hoping for anything similar at WDW.

If you’re crazy I am too. I did it the opposite way though. I planned to be at WDW initially, then emotions got to me and I booked a trip for DL as well. When my boss heard the opening dates she put in my vacation request for me. She knew I was a goner. My reservation for DL is 5/31 11-3. You’re not alone.
After experiencing opening day I DLR I've decided to pull the trigger and try to get there for opening at WDW. Just need to find consecutive days somewhere on my DVC points. Hopefully you enjoyed your experience on the 31st as much as I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!