Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we know that AP previews end 8/21, that's a full week before opening day. Do we expect any soft openings the day or 2 prior? Also, when they soft opened Pandora, what time of day did they soft open?

Just getting back to the excitement of day one. I forgot that Muppetvision opens later than the rest of the park so they can for sure use Muppet Courtyard for an extended queue beyond Grand Avenue. Muppetvision opens at 10am, more than enough time to queue everyone up for 6am opening and clear the area out after the land hits capacity (if it does) and a VQ kicks in

can someone explain a little more in detail about what a vq is and would look like to someone who has never used it before?

can someone explain a little more in detail about what a vq is and would look like to someone who has never used it before?

It's the system in place at Disneyland's GE right now to manage crowd levels, and to avoid keeping you (and your wallet) sitting in a long line. Basically entry to the land is first-come-first-served until it hits capacity, at which point guests then sign up for an approximate return time slot (called a 'boarding group') that grants them access to the land as capacity permits. You can reserve one of these return slots on the app or in person with a cast member, and depending on how you've reserved your spot, you'll await either a push notification on your phone, or monitor kiosk displays in the park with live updates on which 'boarding group' is up. At DL they currently grant you 2 hours from receipt of your notification to arrive, so you are free to do other things while you wait in your 'virtual' line, and then make your way over to GE from wherever you are in the parks, resorts. etc.

Note I haven't used DL's VQ, so am totally basing this on what I've read here and on vlogs. But it basically seems to work like a hybrid between a buzzer at a restaurant, and Volcano Bay's virtual 'Tapu Tapu' queue (which we were skeptical about at first but have come to love).

It's the system in place at Disneyland's GE right now to manage crowd levels, and to avoid keeping you (and your wallet) sitting in a long line. Basically entry to the land is first-come-first-served until it hits capacity, at which point guests then sign up for an approximate return time slot (called a 'boarding group') that grants them access to the land as capacity permits. You can reserve one of these return slots on the app or in person with a cast member, and depending on how you've reserved your spot, you'll await either a push notification on your phone, or monitor kiosk displays in the park with live updates on which 'boarding group' is up. At DL they currently grant you 2 hours from receipt of your notification to arrive, so you are free to do other things while you wait in your 'virtual' line, and then make your way over to GE from wherever you are in the parks, resorts. etc.

Note I haven't used DL's VQ, so am totally basing this on what I've read here and on vlogs. But it basically seems to work like a hybrid between a buzzer at a restaurant, and Volcano Bay's virtual 'Tapu Tapu' queue (which we were skeptical about at first but have come to love).
seriously VQ is a great idea I really hope they implement it from day 1 here.

But aren't you waiting in the line first because it's first come first serve, so you're waiting in a line to get in a virtual line and then ' hanging' around for hours again (everything will be too packed to get onto dhs rides) so you're waiting for your vq time slot. so waiting in order to virtually wait then waiting for your boarding group. as opposed to waiting and then you're in.

But aren't you waiting in the line first because it's first come first serve, so you're waiting in a line to get in a virtual line and then ' hanging' around for hours again (everything will be too packed to get onto dhs rides) so you're waiting for your vq time slot. so waiting in order to virtually wait then waiting for your boarding group. as opposed to waiting and then you're in.
There's no line to get into the vq.
Scenario:
The park opens and an hour later Swge is filled to capacity.
At that moment the vq kicks in, on your MDE , you get to the park and find the land is full so you take your phone out go on mde and sign into the vq.
You are now waiting for your boarding group to be called, in the meantime you can do whatever you want.
Your boarding group is called and you have up to 2 hours to make your way over to the land in case you're eating, or on a ride or even went to another park or back to your room

I get where you're coming from. And yes, I suppose you could be unlucky enough that you've arrived early and waited in an actual queue hoping to get into the land before it hits capacity, but then the VQ kicks in and now you have to await your boarding group's return time. Strictly compared to someone that snagged your same VQ return time from the comfort of their resort, you've basically wasted your time, since the time you spent physically in line doesn't count towards anything.

But what we've come to appreciate from using the virtual queue on many trips to Volcano Bay, is that if you compare a virtual queue to the traditional standby alternative, the VQ is ALWAYS better. Your actual overall wait time to experience the attraction should be exactly the same with either system, but in the VQ you have far more flexibility and freedom to spend your wait time as you see fit.

There's no line to get into the vq.
Scenario:
The park opens and an hour later Swge is filled to capacity.
At that moment the vq kicks in, on your MDE , you get to the park and find the land is full so you take your phone out go on mde and sign into the vq.
You are now waiting for your boarding group to be called, in the meantime you can do whatever you want.
Your boarding group is called and you have up to 2 hours to make your way over to the land in case you're eating, or on a ride or even went to another park or back to your room
Thanks for explaining how VQ works. Always learn something new.
I wonder if someone can get a spot in VQ in advance, like how we get FP+ at 60 days.

I wonder if someone can get a spot in VQ in advance, like how we get FP+ at 60 days.
at DL the VQ opened only same day as soon as the land hit capacity. You had to have entered a park (in DL case either DL or DCA) and then able to join a boarding group. After that you could go to your room or another park and then be notified. We don't know exactly IF we will have VQ here or IF it will be the same procedure

Now that you're able to make a 14-day ADR for DL's Oga's Cantina, I would consider that similar to a FP+, or a sort of bypass, for the VQ.

Of course, we still have no idea if HS will implement ADR's for Oga's. But if they do, I predict that will be an extremely difficult reservation to snag. Consider that Oga's is something you're likely to want to do anyways while in GE. So why not use an ADR to bypass any physical or virtual queue for the land, and just go whenever suits you?

It would be sort of similar to using a BOG breakfast ADR at MK to get ahead of the rope drop crowd, but even better, since you're only the hook for one drink, and not limited to an early morning start.

Does anyone know when the busses will start running from the resorts that morning? We are trying to plan how to make this work. Why do you suppose Disney has not made any announcement yet on this process?

Does anyone know when the busses will start running from the resorts that morning? We are trying to plan how to make this work. Why do you suppose Disney has not made any announcement yet on this process?
I assume there is no announcement because the busses are meant to run with the normal schedule. So:
  • Bus service from Disney Resort hotels begins 45 minutes prior to park opening and ends 1 hour prior to park closing.

Is there a huge advantage to going to the grand opening vs going the day after? Like are the actors expected to be there/ exclusive opening day shows? And if I got there at 5 AM on the 30th, could I reasonably expect not to be capacatied out?

Is there a huge advantage to going to the grand opening vs going the day after? Like are the actors expected to be there/ exclusive opening day shows? And if I got there at 5 AM on the 30th, could I reasonably expect not to be capacatied out?
Not really anything special only to be there on opening day.
5am will put you in the back of the pack especially since it's expected that the land will open before the park like they've been doing at ak with pandora

Confession: the past week of nearly all-night thunderstorms and torrential rain has left me feeling a lot less excited about camping out for opening day. Whatever weirdness is causing this situation needs to let up soon - before my house floats away and I lose my motivation to hit Batuu with no sleep, lol!

I do wish we'd get some info about timing soon, as I really don't want to pay for a hotel the night of the 28th if I won't be in it.

Any guesses as to what will be going on between passholder previews and opening day? We are there that week. lol Any glimmer of hope for a soft opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!