Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Booked BCV today! This will be the first year running for mom, my sis, and myself. They are firmly set on the 5K only, but I’m planning on doing all three. Watching the marathon registration has me really nervous. Especially because this will likely be my first trip to galaxy’s edges with my August Birthday trip looking less and less likely.

Considering this. We shall see as we get closer. I have yet to do this weekend. I hope we have a better idea on Wine and Dine by then.

Considering this. We shall see as we get closer. I have yet to do this weekend. I hope we have a better idea on Wine and Dine by then.

I love star wars weekend. I'm perfect on both coasts. It has always been a fun race and the 501st being out there in paticular are always a highlight (though I think Anaheim did a better job of where they placed them on the course then Orlando has done).

I can’t wait to do SW again. My first experience wasn’t the best- it was my first 1/2 ever and I was solo. I finished but wasn’t happy.

I now have a running partner (my daughter) and our Princess experience was SO much better!

We’re signed up for W&D (fingers crossed) this year— training in the Florida summer SUCKS tho!

I wish they would go back to the Dark Side branding (and bring back light side). I get what they were going for with "rivals run" but never really liked that branding.
Honestly, I would just keep it branded as Star Wars Race Weekend until (if) Light Side returns to the west coast. They can still keep the rival component of the medals if they want to, but just drop the words rival run. I wonder if they will continue to offer a virtual half for Star Wars.

I hope to be able to run 2021 since we didn't get to run this year. I still have to get the time off approved first though.

Honestly, I would just keep it branded as Star Wars Race Weekend until (if) Light Side returns to the west coast. They can still keep the rival component of the medals if they want to, but just drop the words rival run. I wonder if they will continue to offer a virtual half for Star Wars.

I hope to be able to run 2021 since we didn't get to run this year. I still have to get the time off approved first though.

Yeah iff they don't go back to dark/light then star wars half marathonn weekend works best. When I'm talking to people about it that are not runners that is normally what I call it anyway. "star wars rival run" just felt like an awkward name to me.

2021 is supposed to be our year back after taking 2 years off from WDW. Really hoping to run both this and the W&D next year. Ran SW in 2019 and it was my favorite rD half to date - really want to run the W&D to see how that goes.

Let's beat this virus and get back to a normal (Disney) life!

I managed to snag a value room at Animal Kingdom for Thursday night to use up some AK points, and Old Key West for Fri-Sunday (hoping to switch out at 7 months). So it looks like I'm in!
I am looking at the map from 2018 but I'm horrible at figuring things out. The run map only lists the Theme Parks, and I'm trying to compare it to a map of all the resorts. Which resorts does the Star Wars run normally go past? I'd ideally like to try to switch to a resort where my husband and my running partner's wife and kids can just head outside to see us.

I managed to snag a value room at Animal Kingdom for Thursday night to use up some AK points, and Old Key West for Fri-Sunday (hoping to switch out at 7 months). So it looks like I'm in!
I am looking at the map from 2018 but I'm horrible at figuring things out. The run map only lists the Theme Parks, and I'm trying to compare it to a map of all the resorts. Which resorts does the Star Wars run normally go past? I'd ideally like to try to switch to a resort where my husband and my running partner's wife and kids can just head outside to see us.
This was 2019, if that helps.

Value room at AKV opened up so I ended up just going with it for the whole weekend. If anyone is DVC and owns at Animal Kingdom, it's worth checking to see if they are still available. As of now the week is open for a studio until Saturday night.

Question, is it more difficult to get DVC rooms than general resort rooms on marathon weekends? Do I need to be booking a regular resort room now, so far in advance? (I'm already registered for the half in January but we have made 0 travel arrangements as of yet).

Value room at AKV opened up so I ended up just going with it for the whole weekend. If anyone is DVC and owns at Animal Kingdom, it's worth checking to see if they are still available. As of now the week is open for a studio until Saturday night.
Between you, another Dis & me - we're going to have a run Disney party up in Value Room land! (Or at least little worries about late night running up and down the halls...)

Question, is it more difficult to get DVC rooms than general resort rooms on marathon weekends? Do I need to be booking a regular resort room now, so far in advance? (I'm already registered for the half in January but we have made 0 travel arrangements as of yet).

DVC can reserve their home resorts at 11 months out so when you want certain rooms, like the AKV-Values, studios at VGF, BWV-Boardwalk View Studios, etc..., you need to reserve ASAP.

Normal rooms, I wouldn't worry about reserving yet.

I booked us at BLT for this in hopes we can get back down!! I’m worried about sports conflicts for my son who will be in high school sports next year Vs middle school this year. Fingers crossed that it all works!

We own at BLT but I had managed to snag a AKV Value for 2020. Next years race is a better price point for DVC and by not traveling this year - we have plenty of points to cover BLT so we will probably stay there.

Still debating whether we will all just run the 5k though. We had planned girls for 5k and boys for 10k in 2020 - but when it came to coordinating our trip and needing to juggle 2 pre-race dinners and 2 early mornings it was more complicated than I would have liked. We have until August to decide!!

Since I passed on Marathon Weekend registration (I just wasn't comfortable with the safety of traveling) and didn't particularly enjoy Princess weekend this past year, I'm considering the Star Wars races for the first time. But I have a few questions:

- How is the transportation from the Epcot parking to the Magic Kingdom for the half (or from Epcot to/from ESPN for the 10K)? I am the queen of the catastrophic Disney transportation failure so depending on a Disney bus to get the start isn't appealing to me. Is it possible to be dropped off at MK parking lot (either by my friend or by a ride-share)? If so, what are the logistics for that like? We would be staying off-site (likely at Universal).

- Where can spectators view the runners for the 10K and the half? For the Marathon and Princess, my friend was able to see me at the start, at Main Street, and then at the finish, but I can't figure out how the Star Wars races work.

- If they offer the Kessel Run Challenge again, what time period does the virtual need to be completed? And how do you build this run into your training plan? In the past, I've maxed out my training at 14 miles, but that it usually two weeks or so before actual race.

Thanks in advance! I'm probably going to ask a million questions as I try to switch gears.

they are NOT disney buses. They contract out and some of the drivers have no idea where they are going! I've had 2 bad experiences with the contracted bus service. Both got lost but did manage to make it to the start....

I could be wrong but I think drop off and parking are at the EPCOT lot with transport to MK, no other option.

- If they offer the Kessel Run Challenge again, what time period does the virtual need to be completed? And how do you build this run into your training plan? In the past, I've maxed out my training at 14 miles, but that it usually two weeks or so before actual race.

The Kessel Run “timeframe” runs from January through the race weekend, officially. Realistically, it doesn’t matter when, or even if, you complete the virtual run. No proof is required to receive the virtual or Kessel Run medal. Effectively, all you have to do is complete the race weekend half marathon to receive the Kessel Run medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!