Star Wars Land compared to Pandora?

I am going to tell you right now that Disney screwed the pooch on this like they did with Pandora. Only two major attractions and one of them being more intense, it is a safe bet that we will see 3-4 hour lines for the one ride for a good year or two after opening. The one factor that could help them, aside from Toy Story Land, is if they opened the new rides in MK and Epcot during the same time period, which I doubt will happen.
Totally agree. Although Disney will see the 3-4 hour lines as a victory while fans see it as a mistake. I think with a franchise as popular as Star Wars, they really needed 3 solid attractions.

I am going to tell you right now that Disney screwed the pooch on this like they did with Pandora. Only two major attractions and one of them being more intense, it is a safe bet that we will see 3-4 hour lines for the one ride for a good year or two after opening. The one factor that could help them, aside from Toy Story Land, is if they opened the new rides in MK and Epcot during the same time period, which I doubt will happen.

They will have the new Mickey Minnie Runaway Train ride open in time for Star Wars, but I don't think much of the major attractions in the other parks done - though I could see Rat in EPCOT going up pretty quick given it is a copy of an existing ride (though it seems they will have tons of themeing on the outside which always adds to the timeline)

I feel like I might be growing cynical in my old(ish) age - but all this talk of worry about 3-4 hour lines just to get into the land, etc ..... makes me think: How much would people be willing to pay for a hard ticketed event that got you into the land for ~3 hours with no crowds?

.... and if I am thinking it I am sure Disney is as well

I feel like I might be growing cynical in my old(ish) age - but all this talk of worry about 3-4 hour lines just to get into the land, etc ..... makes me think: How much would people be willing to pay for a hard ticketed event that got you into the land for ~3 hours with no crowds?

No doubt Disney is thinking and likely going to do it. Exactly why we have a “tour” that gets you on FoP.

I wonder if they have a plan for something akin to a "third attraction" along the lines of a juiced up March of the First Order? It's already enjoyable in a fairly generic setting. Imagine it in an actual Star Wars space.

Then again, they may not be able to run it in the SW area itself for some time due to crowds.

No doubt Disney is thinking and likely going to do it. Exactly why we have a “tour” that gets you on FoP.

yup - I bet that is just a test to see what people are willing to pay for a "hard to get" FP .... and I have to say, as Disney hotel pricing keeps going up, I can see for some it making more sense to book something offsite that is cheaper and with more space and then with the $ saved use that for these tours that guarantee you get on the rides vs hoping you ca get a FP even at 60 days out

I wonder if they have a plan for something akin to a "third attraction" along the lines of a juiced up March of the First Order? It's already enjoyable in a fairly generic setting. Imagine it in an actual Star Wars space.

Then again, they may not be able to run it in the SW area itself for some time due to crowds.

there is a "performance space" in the First Order part of the new land based on the blueprints ... now, that could just be fore where they are now going to do the Jedi Training Academy, but the fact it is in the First order side makes me think it might be fore something else (unfortunately I'd place the chance of that being for Hyperspace Hoopla at less than zero)

IDK how much pressure TSL will take off SWL. I'm not sure what could take the demand off; its SW! I think TSL will be what people do when they don't want to wait 3-5 hours to just get into SWL.

IDK how much pressure TSL will take off SWL. I'm not sure what could take the demand off; its SW! I think TSL will be what people do when they don't want to wait 3-5 hours to just get into SWL.
And when those rides are “only” 1-2 hour waits it’ll seem like a steal!

The one thing I think Toy Story Land and the new Micky ride will do is be alternatives for FP for people ... a little better to know you have other new rides to use you FP for when you get shut out of Star Wars vs the Beauty and the Beast Stage Show or whatever

someone brought this up earlier, but i'm seriously concerned for disneyland after star wars land opens. not only is disneyland the most iconic theme park of all time, but it's also one of the most popular (second only behind the magic kingdom; compare that to DHS being the seventh most popular). if you're taking a vacation to disney world in 2019, you can just skip DHS if you're not into star wars. but if you're heading out disneyland in 2019? how would you even get around...?

Last edited:
someone brought this up earlier, but i'm seriously concerned for disneyland after star wars land opens. not only is disneyland the most iconic theme park of all time, but it's also one of the most popular (second only behind the magic kingdom; compare that to DHS being the seventh most popular). if you're taking a vacation to disney world in 2019, you can just skip DHS if you're not into star wars. but if you're heading out disneyland in 2019? how are you even going to be able to get around...?
That's why I'm swapping back to WDW in 2019. I'm absolutely convinced it's going to ruin DL. At least for me.

I would be shocked if this DIDN'T happen.

someone brought this up earlier, but i'm seriously concerned for disneyland after star wars land opens. not only is disneyland the most iconic theme park of all time, but it's also one of the most popular (second only behind the magic kingdom; compare that to DHS being the seventh most popular). if you're taking a vacation to disney world in 2019, you can just skip DHS if you're not into star wars. but if you're heading out disneyland in 2019? how would you even get around...?

I think this could actually make DLR hit capacity not infrequently. I don't know how common it is (a quick google shows it does happen, but I wasn't invested enough to dig into how often/when) now, but I think it could make DLR really problematic to tour, even if you're not into the SWL expansion.

I've always assumed that part of the reason for the AK tour was to check out the reaction for when they use this for Star Wars. I can't really see any other way to keep the crowds under control. Personally I'll be avoiding it!

So I got to thinking today, and the huge popularity of Pandora has me wondering how will the size of the land compare from Star Wars Land to Pandora?

These recent reports of 30-70 minute waits just to get into Pandora have me hoping that SWL will be significantly larger. If a movie that was only decent and doesn’t have a huge following can pull this many people to Pandora, can you imagine what SWL and that fan base will make Hollywood Studios look like? I hope Disney is prepared for the mass hysteria that is going to ensue lol.

When I went to Not So Scary, there was a 170 min wait times for Flight of Passage. Being that Star Wars has a cult following (myself being apart of that), I can only imagine what the wait time will be for the Star Wars attractions.

I don't think anyone fully grasps how powerful the Star Wars: A Galaxy's Edge draw will be. I predict Hollywood Studios will be at full capacity every day for months after it opens. You are going to have a large subset of the American public, that hadn't even been interested in Disney World before, pouring in.

I still feel like Star Wars Land will be an extra cost on top of the days ticket. In my mind, that is the only way Disney will be able to control crowds going into there. I don't know what the limit would and/or could be.

I know this would be a very unpopular option, but people spend $70 to have breakfast, ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Winnie The Pooh, and Peter Pan for only a little over an hour of exclusive access. The Early Morning Magic event does have an extra hour after the park opens for you to get breakfast.

If people spend that kind of money for an hour, imagine how much Disney could charge for people to go into what will arguably be the most popular land ever built. Also, if they didn't do the hard ticket thing, I'm sure they will do an event like you said that could get you in before the park opens with exclusive access.

I still feel like Star Wars Land will be an extra cost on top of the days ticket. In my mind, that is the only way Disney will be able to control crowds going into there. I don't know what the limit would and/or could be.

I know this would be a very unpopular option, but people spend $70 to have breakfast, ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Winnie The Pooh, and Peter Pan for only a little over an hour of exclusive access. The Early Morning Magic event does have an extra hour after the park opens for you to get breakfast.

If people spend that kind of money for an hour, imagine how much Disney could charge for people to go into what will arguably be the most popular land ever built. Also, if they didn't do the hard ticket thing, I'm sure they will do an event like you said that could get you in before the park opens with exclusive access.

Do you mean that the only way to get into Star Wars land is to pay extra on top of your day ticket? So like one fee to get into DHS that does not include SWGE and then another fee if you want to get into SWGE?

If so I think that would be face a ton of backlash

Now, if you just meant it will be a hard ticketed event (early morning or late evening) that will require separate admittance (so like the early morning hours at MK and not like the evening ones) then I agree with you

I think the model is what they did at AK with was a $249 VIP tour that required separate admittance and basically just got youbright into all of the big rides - but in reality was just a way to get people to pay for a FP for Flight of Passage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter