Star Wars Land Opening Info/Rumors?

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
Starting to think about a 2019 trip and wondering what the latest word is on opening date for Star Wars land. Trying to figure out if we might be able to pair a trip to Disney for the RunDisney Star Wars half marathon in late April 2019 with a visit to a newly opened Star Wars land. Thanks in advance for any info/rumors you might have.

Yeah, the CM at the coming attractions exhibit in One Man's Dream told me that it is definitely not opening in Spring/Summer of next year. It is opening late in the year, maybe around November. This is highly unusual for a theme park, but the construction is just not on schedule to open that early.

If you really want to experience it earlier, Disneyland's version should be open for summer 2019. Just be aware you'll be fighting mobs of locals for access to the new land.

Yeah, the CM at the coming attractions exhibit in One Man's Dream told me that it is definitely not opening in Spring/Summer of next year. It is opening late in the year, maybe around November. This is highly unusual for a theme park, but the construction is just not on schedule to open that early.

If you really want to experience it earlier, Disneyland's version should be open for summer 2019. Just be aware you'll be fighting mobs of locals for access to the new land.

They were always supposed to have that staggered opening so I think they are fine with having the Disneyland version open for summer and then the WDW version open for the holidays - and I am sure some people will want to be at both openings.

I guess if someone is a masochist, they would love fighting the opening day mobs twice.

well, some people just like saying "I was there" and taking it all in. Plus, both may do AP/DVC previews like they did for Pandora and I would be surprised if there aren't some sort of hard ticket event for people are willing to pay that

They were always supposed to have that staggered opening so I think they are fine with having the Disneyland version open for summer and then the WDW version open for the holidays - and I am sure some people will want to be at both openings.
The dates for DLR and WDW are consistent with what I have heard. I am sure Disney would love to have both open for summer 2019. I have never heard of a planned staggered opening. I have heard that construction at DLR has gone faster than at WDW. Last I heard DLR was 4 months ahead of WDW but that was last summer. Not sure now. So the staggered opening is unplanned and they are making the best of it. At the D23 Expo last July Bob Chapek (Disney Resorts Top Dog) explained that SWL at DLR would open before WDW. Folks were wondering if they would hold DLR's opening back to match WDW's opening but with such a large difference in schedule Disney made the sensible decision to let DLR go first.

Originally Star Wars Episode IX was scheduled for May 2019 but that is now December 2019. So I suspect that is the real deadline WDW will push for so as to catch all the tail winds they can for SWL.

:wizard:

It's a tough one for sure. As a driver to WDW (9 hours away) ... I was debating doing a "1-2 punch" with an annual pass going in Nov. 2018 to catch Toy Story Land and Oct. 2019 to catch Star Wars Land (and potentially the Runaway Railway) ... also thinking by having an Annual Pass there may be a preview event or something I would take advantage of (if I had enough notice).

But, I am still not sure about that plan without really knowing for sure when it will open. I'd hate to invest into an AP and miss the opening of SW land by a month or so (in case it opens after Mid-November).

At this point .. I don't feel its worth the risk, but maybe we'll have more of a solid opening date known by the time Nov. 2018 comes around and I just get an AP then.

This actually makes me feel a little bit better about running the Star Wars half next year. I was thinking if I do the half in April and they open it in May I would be upset that I "just missed it" :) I know it is very, very unlikely, but how awesome would it be if they let us run through an almost finished Star Wars land at the half?

This actually makes me feel a little bit better about running the Star Wars half next year. I was thinking if I do the half in April and they open it in May I would be upset that I "just missed it" :) I know it is very, very unlikely, but how awesome would it be if they let us run through an almost finished Star Wars land at the half?

That would be cool but likely won’t be till 2020 the half will go through there but that will be an awesome addition to the course...and likely as big a bottleneck as the castle.

Wow, I hope not fall of 2019! We go every other year, and early June 2019 is our next one. I will have 3 very disappointed people if it's not open yet!!

So with TSL finishing up for a June opening, do they shift some resources to SW:GE?
Only if they think it is required to hit a late 2019 opening date for SW:GE in Orlando. They have been very definite in saying it will open after DL and that isn't going to change. We were debating this yesterday and the assumption is that Orlando is 3-6 months behind. Two Grand Openings are two publicity events, two chances to get the truly devoted to show up, and a chance to learn a little bit and get a second chance to make sure it goes smoothly.

So with TSL finishing up for a June opening, do they shift some resources to SW:GE?
If you mean workers probably not. They have several other projects on going. Disney also contracts with several different construction companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!