Star Wars Land Opening Info/Rumors?

I would suspect we would probably have a "good guess" by the end of this year.
I would suspect we would probably have a definitive opening date only 3-4 months in advance (just like they gave us for Pandor and Toy Story Land)

All I know is I have a "grand plan" of going this mid-November (to see Pandora and Toy Story Land) -- getting an AP and hopefully catch the opening of SWGE before mid-October of 2019 (before my daughter turns 3).

Hearing "probably October or November" makes me worry about my grand plan. :) It would be somewhat a "waste" of getting an AP if it isn't open by the time the AP expires :(.

So hopefully by November (I won't buy the AP until I arrive) we will have a better picture of when they want it to open by.

When does Star War open in 2019? Is there an estimate? I can't seem to find one anywhere. Do you think they will be open by the summer for the masses?

no official date but everything i have seen is late 2019 for the DHS one (so like October/November). The Disneyland one should be more like June - so they will get that one open for the hard core people that need to get to one of them first and then like a 2nd grand opening for the DHS one in time for the Holiday Crowds

I was hoping for July >:(. I guess I'm out of luck. I just assumed that opening in 2019 would be for the summer season.

I would suspect we would probably have a definitive opening date only 3-4 months in advance (just like they gave us for Pandor and Toy Story Land)

All I know is I have a "grand plan" of going this mid-November (to see Pandora and Toy Story Land) -- getting an AP and hopefully catch the opening of SWGE before mid-October of 2019 (before my daughter turns 3).

Hearing "probably October or November" makes me worry about my grand plan. :) It would be somewhat a "waste" of getting an AP if it isn't open by the time the AP expires :(.

So hopefully by November (I won't buy the AP until I arrive) we will have a better picture of when they want it to open by.

It's tough because if I had to bet it would that it would be open by October - but definitely no guarantee so to plan for that is a bit dicey - so if that is the *only* reason you would get an AP and would lose money if it doesn't come to fruition then it would be hard to advice you to do so

hopefully there is a bit more clarity by the time you would have to make your decision this mid-October ... perhaps some news comes out at the Destination D event (though I think think will be more EPCOT focused)

Thanks but that doesn't help
Disney has been saying from early on that DHS would open after DL. Disney announced at D23 that SWGE would open by the next D23 in 2019 (so July 2019) whereas DHS would be sometime after that. Iger was on record saying late 2019 possibly fiscal 2020 which means October or later in 2019. The lands will be pretty much the same except for a few minor differences which is why it can be disappointing to learn their construction schedules are so different.

It's tough because if I had to bet it would that it would be open by October - but definitely no guarantee so to plan for that is a bit dicey - so if that is the *only* reason you would get an AP and would lose money if it doesn't come to fruition then it would be hard to advice you to do so

hopefully there is a bit more clarity by the time you would have to make your decision this mid-October ... perhaps some news comes out at the Destination D event (though I think think will be more EPCOT focused)
Hopefully. It is mainly why I decided to wait until we get there to make that decision. I also plan on just transforming my 5-day tickets (I bought back a year or two ago) into the AP while there, so another reason to wait.

The AP plan is a dream, and if I did get it, we'd still probably go again for my daughter's 3rd birthday .. and just be sad that SWGE would be opening a month or so later. I mean I went to WDW a year ago and missed Pandora by like 2 months, I survived :).

The AP is probably still in the cards, as my sister is planning a trip with her family in Spring 2019 .. and it would give us the flexibility to just pop down there to see them for a few days. (I'm only a 9 hour drive away). So I am looking at possibly 3 short trips to WDW in a year .. so probably still worth it. The SWGE would just be an awesome bonus.

The sad thing is that DHS needs it a LOT more than Disneyland does and yet it's not going to have nearly the impact if it opens 4-5 months after DL.

I wouldn't go that far. There are way more people who are either a WDW or DL person than there are people who do both. I don't think DHS will be any less jammed, for any shorter a period of time, for opening second in this case. There might be some people who just can't wait, but there will be plenty more who either have no problems waiting or just are WDW people. Personally, I wouldn't touch DL once SW opens. DL is massively crowded as is, SW is going to make it massively worse. DHS is going to jam up like crazy. Uncomfortably crazy, once SW opens, but at least you can bleed off to 3 other massive parks. There is only one other small one at DL.

I wouldn't go that far. There are way more people who are either a WDW or DL person than there are people who do both. I don't think DHS will be any less jammed, for any shorter a period of time, for opening second in this case. There might be some people who just can't wait, but there will be plenty more who either have no problems waiting or just are WDW people. Personally, I wouldn't touch DL once SW opens. DL is massively crowded as is, SW is going to make it massively worse. DHS is going to jam up like crazy. Uncomfortably crazy, once SW opens, but at least you can bleed off to 3 other massive parks. There is only one other small one at DL.

I fully agree with this ... plus I am sure there are people (maybe not a ton, but some, and they are willing to spend $) that want to go to the openings of both

Plus you have the Star Wars hotel coming only to WDW as well

I definitely agree about the crowds at DLR - we've only been once but the crowds were unbearable so I can't even imagine what they will be like after SW:GE opens

Never plan a trip around the opening of a new land/attraction. Rivers of Light had an actual opening date announced but didn't actually open until 9 months later.

Never plan a trip around the opening of a new land/attraction. Rivers of Light had an actual opening date announced but didn't actually open until 9 months later.

Oh . .I am not planning a trip AROUND the opening, I have seen enough things get delayed to know better than that. :) I am just debating getting an AP to hopefully have that opportunity (and flexibility) to go IF it opens before Mid-November of 2019.

This trip in Nov. 2018 is to see Toy Story Land just after my daughter turns 2 ... and the AP is mainly because I want to go at least one more time before my daughter turns 3 (going free saves SO much money).

So, I am just planning on at least two trips in 11 months. Two trips of 4-5 days each is barely the break-even point for an AP, so that is why I am on the fence. Basically if I get the AP, and SWGE opening date is announced, I would plan a trip. If, by this November, I don't feel like SWGE will open in a year, I may just pass on the AP until some other time and pay for the tickets individually.

Frankly, with the news in the Rumors forum that Disney will start charging for parking at the resorts, that may make/break my AP decision (if AP holders get free parking at resorts, it may be even more worth it for two trips).

SWGE opening would be a bonus, but definitely not going to plan a trip around it. I'd be sad to go a month before it opens, but hey .. I'll still have a ton of fun without it in Fall of 2019.

True...but a big part of what I was trying to convey is all of the pictures/videos from DL that will take away the special freshness that it could have at DHS. It won't be quite the "event" after everyone has already "seen it" all over social media.

Just a minor gripe at it"s delayed opening but let me be clear...I'm STOKED for this!

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter