Star Wars Movies (Original Trilogy) On TV?

JimmyV

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
I thought I'd post this here since the Podcasts have become "all-Star Wars-all-the-time" lately. I've checked my local listings and have not found any airings of the original SW movies in advance of the upcoming release. Inasmuch as the new movie is a sequel to the three original movies that came out between 1977 and 1983, wouldn't it make sense for ABC Family to run these movies 'round the clock like they do with Harry Potter movies to: a) catch people up on what happened 30+ years ago; and b) drum up interest in the new movie? All I remember about the end of the third movie was that a bunch of little teddy bears helped save the day. I'm afraid that I'm going to be a little lost when it comes time to follow the storyline. Why wouldn't Disney want to help set the mood for the new movie by showing the old ones this weekend, or next week? :confused:

I thought I'd post this here since the Podcasts have become "all-Star Wars-all-the-time" lately. I've checked my local listings and have not found any airings of the original SW movies in advance of the upcoming release. Inasmuch as the new movie is a sequel to the three original movies that came out between 1977 and 1983, wouldn't it make sense for ABC Family to run these movies 'round the clock like they do with Harry Potter movies to: a) catch people up on what happened 30+ years ago; and b) drum up interest in the new movie? All I remember about the end of the third movie was that a bunch of little teddy bears helped save the day. I'm afraid that I'm going to be a little lost when it comes time to follow the storyline. Why wouldn't Disney want to help set the mood for the new movie by showing the old ones this weekend, or next week? :confused:
Because movie theaters are doing marathons. If they were all on TV I think this would take away from that. Disney is going to milk as much money from it.

Because movie theaters are doing marathons.
Of the old movies? I haven't seen anything like that and we have 3 mega cineplexes in the area. Not one of them is showing the old movies.

Hmmm....

I'm pretty sure Disney is not worried about drumming up interest in the new movie.

As you have so eloquently pointed out....there is little other Disney news out there. It's all Star Wars. I think they have the interest they need.

As the three original movies are still available for sale, rent or download and are still moneymakers, why would they show them free of charge?

There is ample time for you to catch up on what happened to the little teddy bears.

You just have to pay to do it.

These are the theatres participating https://www.amctheatres.com/starwars
That's a total of 38 screens across the entire country. (Closest one to me is 90 miles away). While I "get" that Disney wants to monetize the re-release of the old movies, they would make far, far more money through selling ads on ABC Family and showing the movies on TV. 38 screens times the number of people who are going to go see "A New Hope" at 10:30 a.m.? Maybe an average of 200 people per theater tops? That's 7,600 people. They could get more money through a 30 second commercial for adult diapers.

That's a total of 38 screens across the entire country. (Closest one to me is 90 miles away). While I "get" that Disney wants to monetize the re-release of the old movies, they would make far, far more money through selling ads on ABC Family and showing the movies on TV. 38 screens times the number of people who are going to go see "A New Hope" at 10:30 a.m.? Maybe an average of 200 people per theater tops? That's 7,600 people. They could get more money through a 30 second commercial for adult diapers.

The same could be said about showing any of their classic animated features and yet they choose to put them back in the vault and re-release them every seven years or so.

They will always be moneymakers...especially with more new movies being released.

Hmmm....

I'm pretty sure Disney is not worried about drumming up interest in the new movie.
That much is true. The interest is there. But it can always be bumped by folks whose last trip to the theater to see a SW movie was in 1983. (I did pay to see the first of the most recent trilogy, but gave up after that.)

As the three original movies are still available for sale, rent or download and are still moneymakers, why would they show them free of charge?
For the exact same reason that the Harry Potter movies all ran in succession before the next one came out, and for the same reason that every Jurassic Park movie aired on TV before the most recent movie came out. And for the same reason that every Iron Man movie and Avengers movie runs before the next one comes out. This is common practice and the treatment of SW is actually quite contrary to the way most new mega-releases have been handled.

Take a glance and tell me where the old Star Wars movies appear on this list. Ain't no one buying them.
http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2015

Of the old movies? I haven't seen anything like that and we have 3 mega cineplexes in the area. Not one of them is showing the old movies.
Really I'm not in a major area like Chicago or New York yet we have theaters do I them .

The same could be said about showing any of their classic animated features
Bad analogy. First of all, few of the classic animated features are prequels to the movie that is about to be released. No need to show Sleeping Beauty on TV in advance of Inside Out's release. Also, the two Toy Story movies aired on TV in advance of Toy Story III's release, and Cars ran on TV in advance of Cars II's release. It is done all the time. Not sure why you think this is such a novel or odd concept.

Bad analogy. First of all, few of the classic animated features are prequels to the movie that is about to be released. No need to show Sleeping Beauty on TV in advance of Inside Out's release. Also, the two Toy Story movies aired on TV in advance of Toy Story III's release, and Cars ran on TV in advance of Cars II's release. It is done all the time. Not sure why you think this is such a novel or odd concept.

Don't think it's novel or odd and I never said either. I just think Disney is business savvy.

And I don't think the analogy is bad seeing I was talking about showing the movies on TV with advertising, rather then selling the video. Disney protects it's brand. Thats what they re-release movies every seven years. They become money makers all over again.

Disney invested a huge amount of money in buying Star Wars and in building Star Wars Land in multiple parks.

I just think they are protecting a very expensive investment.

Again....you can go to the theater or download them, but you have to pay for it.

You may not see a big push in stores for the Movies, but look what the top Movie Franchises are for Sci-fi Movie downloads on Itunes.

Top.JPG

If they really wanted to make a splash, they would show the Holiday Special.

Think of the ratings.

Then the vomiting

If they really wanted to make a splash, they would show the Holiday Special.

Think of the ratings.

Then the vomiting

Nothing like 20 minutes of Wookie banter before anyone talks and seeing a stoned Carrie Fisher. But the Boba Fett cartoon is totally worth it. I remember watching it the one and only time it aired. I am a proud owner of a DVD copy of it now.

I am ready for the end of Osborne Lights and the beginning of the Wookie Life Day Lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter