Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer 2

Who says dark side and girl empowerment don't go together?

Exaclty...no offense, Momma, but you seem to be defending a dated double standard...

...would you be offended if I said you should ask your husband who to vote for? (I hope that never could happen)...you should be!!!

I guess the question is...is 9 the last one they're going to do in the Skywalker/Solo chronicles? Because it definitely won't be the last SW movie.

I have said this a thousand times, but I'd love original movies not about the Skywalkers/Solos. Go back in time to when the Sith were more prevalent. Do a movie about an X Wing squad. A movie about smugglers and the criminal underworld. etc etc
They should do a tv series (live action) about the old republic on their streaming service. That’ll have me onboard for that alone

I was just thinking that ... all this focus and attention of the new movies having female leads and then Disney is all like "haha, yeah, we made her the main characters, but she was really evil ... I mean, you gotta know you can't trust a woman with power!!!!"

probably not the messaging they are going for
True but like how @lockedoutlogic said, the lines between good and evil can be blurred.

Is Luke definitely a good character in this movie? Kylo definitely a bad? I think it’s possible they’re a mixture of both.

Also that perceived “evil” doesn’t stop little boys from buying kylo sabers right?

Agree...that's the right move...

They won't go near any "old republic" era material for film with a 20 foot pole...obiwan dynamited and blew up that bridge bout 15 years ago
I don’t think old republic would do well cinematically anyways. I think it’s too “deep nerd” level to appeal to a mainstream audience

Last edited:
My point is that male characters turn heel mid movie all the time...so females have to have the same potential...even in movies with toys.

Indiana Jones and the last crusade had one of each and it works perfectly

Mid-movie is fine; *I* just don’t want to come away from the movie with her being evil.

Who says dark side and girl empowerment don't go together?

I fully own that I am more “old-fashioned” in my opinions. (And no, I didn’t ask my husband who to vote for. :rolleyes:) I know that good people aren’t 100% good and (most) bad people aren’t 100% bad. And plenty of people make mistakes and can be redeemed (a la Vader).

This somehow has devolved into a gender issue, but my original question was about how Disney has positioned Rey’s character in its merchandising as being a *role model* for young girls. If Rey turns (for the duration of the movie or franchise), what do they do with that? The First Order/Dark Side is cold, ruthless, and oppressive. It discourages individualism and promotes conformity. It is about abusing power not empowerment. So yeah, not exactly what I want my child - daughter OR son - to look up to.

Mid-movie is fine; *I* just don’t want to come away from the movie with her being evil.

I fully own that I am more “old-fashioned” in my opinions. (And no, I didn’t ask my husband who to vote for. :rolleyes:) I know that good people aren’t 100% good and (most) bad people aren’t 100% bad. And plenty of people make mistakes and can be redeemed (a la Vader).

This somehow has devolved into a gender issue, but my original question was about how Disney has positioned Rey’s character in its merchandising as being a *role model* for young girls. If Rey turns (for the duration of the movie or franchise), what do they do with that? The First Order/Dark Side is cold, ruthless, and oppressive. It discourages individualism and promotes conformity. It is about abusing power not empowerment. So yeah, not exactly what I want my child - daughter OR son - to look up to.

Actually, the first order/dark side looks for individuals and the jedis are the side that wants emotionality and family ties to be severed...

I think this film is going to blow out of the water light and dark side. So determining whether Kylo stays on the dark side or Rey turns to the dark side is mute. There is grey, and I think that's going to be a theme. There has always been talk about balance in the force, but instead, I see this going the direction of balance in each individual. It's going to be interesting...

I'm watching the new trailer again. The new AT ATs look interesting, like they are walking on their knuckles so they remind me of a gorilla.

That is all.
It looks like they have something on the legs to saw the cables of any snow speeder that is trying to trip them up.

I think this film is going to blow out of the water light and dark side. So determining whether Kylo stays on the dark side or Rey turns to the dark side is mute. There is grey, and I think that's going to be a theme. There has always been talk about balance in the force, but instead, I see this going the direction of balance in each individual. It's going to be interesting...

I would flipping LOVE to see something that nuanced!

True but like how @lockedoutlogic said, the lines between good and evil can be blurred.

Is Luke definitely a good character in this movie? Kylo definitely a bad? I think it’s possible they’re a mixture of both.

Also that perceived “evil” doesn’t stop little boys from buying kylo sabers right?

no, I agree - and "shades of gray" can be good too ... just as it was pointed out Rey has been put out there as someone for little girls to look up to and if she winds up being evil that might not sit right (she doesn't have to be perfect and can make mistakes and learn from them, etc. - but full on evil would be tough)

I just thought that he becomes hesitant when his helmet is off so the audience can see his emotions.

right, but there is a theory that the helmet is more than that - that it allows him to tap into the dark side more... that without it, there is a blockage preventing him from accessing it as fully (not saying I agree with it)

no, I agree - and "shades of gray" can be good too ... just as it was pointed out Rey has been put out there as someone for little girls to look up to and if she winds up being evil that might not sit right (she doesn't have to be perfect and can make mistakes and learn from them, etc. - but full on evil would be tough)

Aren't women just humans that could be full on evil just as easily as men? That's the world if we're equal (spoiler alert: we are). It shouldn't be "tough;" it should be that people aren't perfect.

right, but there is a theory that the helmet is more than that - that it allows him to tap into the dark side more... that without it, there is a blockage preventing him from accessing it as fully (not saying I agree with it)

Or that it allows him to focus on the dark side and his turning away of his old life. Its interesting...it explains some of his behaviors in FA, not sure I agree either. I think he made a choice to abandon the Jedi ways.

ETA: Sorry for being disjointed, in the back of Uber.

Last edited:
Or that it allows him to focus on the dark side and his turning away of his old life. Its interesting...it explains some of his behaviors in FA, not sure I agree either. I think he made a choice to abandon the Jedi ways.

Not sure I agree either, but it resolves some issues.

I think Luke, in his own way, has made the same choice. There is a reason that the movie is called the Last Jedi. There's a reason that Luke says the Jedi have to end.

I mean, I might be the exception but would prefer neither of my daughters grow up to be sith lords

Lol, I was just taking the argument to the extreme, but how would you feel about your son being a Sith Lord? Or, a Jedi Master?

I'm watching the new trailer again. The new AT ATs look interesting, like they are walking on their knuckles so they remind me of a gorilla.

That is all.

supposedly they are designed to be more stable than the old AT-ATs ... and someone pointed out that they have those jagged edges on their forearm area which could be designed to cut cords that are being wrapped around them (e.g., the trick they used on Hoth on the AT-ATs won't work on them)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts