Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there are always outliers. Or anomalies. The Matrix's second installment surpassed the first and third entries.

Exactly so I wouldn’t say all trilogies make less with each movie. The prior Star Wars trilogies didn’t even have that pattern. The third prequel made more than the second and Return of the Jedi made more than Empire Strikes Back domestically.

Maybe. I hope in 30 - 40 years we will be talking about how in the 2020's they came to their senses at Lucasfilms and started making good movies with a cohesive plot and non-throwaway characters.

I won't be here to see it, but I hope they do a reboot then and all the Rey fans can watch her refuse to help-even after she finds out Finn was murdered by one of her past students she tried to kill in their sleep.

To be fair, you also have to adjust for inflation. This link does a good job with worldwide grosses adjusted to 2019 ticket prices:
https://www.statista.com/chart/20306/star-wars-box-office-results/
When you look at it, you see about what you'd expect. The original trilogy goes IV,V,VI in gross. The prequel trilogy goes I, III, II, and the sequel trilogy is absolutely going to go VII, VIII, IX. The really interesting thing is we always point to ESB as not having done that well but it's absolutely wrong. ESB took in almost 30% more than RotJ when inflation adjusted on a worldwide basis and did better than any of the prequels. While IX might catch III, it won't catch II in this release. So IX is either going to be the lowest or second lowest gross.

For those who are saying because we had a plethora of films making 1B this year, it is no longer a significant milestone, I'd argue patience. There may not be a $1B movie this year, though I expect Mulan, Minions, Fast and Furious (mostly international), Wonderwoman, and maybe Black Widow to take a run at it. The new Bond might also get there. Regardless, I'd be surprised if more than 4 make $1B. I'd set the over under at 3.

Last edited:
Your constant insistence on calling it "Rise of Palpatine" is really very petty and does not lend you credibility.

I am a random guy on the internet with a cartoon character for a username and a muppet for a profile pic, I lost any credibility I had a decade or so ago. The title is confusing, there is no Skywalker rising from what I could tell maybe it was meant to be ironic? Or maybe just another way to capitalize off nostalgia?

Here is a graphic of the 4 avengers movies versus the Star Wars sequel trilogy*. The Orange line is Star Wars. One of these is bad for business.....

*Not adjusted for inflation which would probably make it worse for the orange team.

I am a random guy on the internet with a cartoon character for a username and a muppet for a profile pic, I lost any credibility I had a decade or so ago. The title is confusing, there is no Skywalker rising from what I could tell maybe it was meant to be ironic? Or maybe just another way to capitalize off nostalgia?

Rey IS a Skywalker!

And Ben is a Skywalker, and rise he did.

It seems so odd to me that people seem to hate and reject adoption so much. Rey was an orphan who was "sold." Leia adopted her in a very obvious way. You aren't the sum of your physical genealogy and you don't have to keep the last name of those who contributed to your DNA.

It seems so odd to me that people seem to hate and reject adoption so much. Rey was an orphan who was "sold." Leia adopted her in a very obvious way. You aren't the sum of your physical genealogy and you don't have to keep the last name of those who contributed to your DNA.

Pretty sure he fell.... happens to alot of bad guys in Disney movies and Star Wars movies oddly.

Hate and reject adoption? I did't like the movie, the ending caused an eyeroll, nothing more.

I have 3 adopted children. I'm quite aware how that works. I'm not sure I remember seeing Leia "adopt" her. Maybe I missed that...

But, you fail to mention that Leia doesn‘t have the surname Skywalker. If anything, Rey should have taken the Organa or Solo surname. Leia never, ever, went by Skywalker.

Ben Solo rose spectacularly in a complete redemption arc.

I would suggest that adoption in the Star Wars universe probably doesn't including signing papers or going before a judge. Lineage isn't solely about DNA, it never has been.

Leia "adopting" Rey is horrible. From the very beginning it was forced and silly from the moment Leia was hugging Rey after Hans death while Chewie was all "hey I kind of was his best friend for 40 years over here" and was ignored in Force Awakens.

Then they had no interaction in The Last Jedi (sidenote funny how it took until the end of 2 movies for all three leads to meet each other, Rey and Poe did not meet until the end of TLJ).

Now because of Carrie Fishers passing, any and all character development and bonding was done offscreen between movies, and any interaction between Leia and Rey was with vague general dialogue because of the footage available.

If Rey had to choose a name (which is silly, her parents sacrificed themselves for her, how about learning there names and honor them) it should have been Solo. Rey said more to Han Solo then she ever did on screen with Leia and the "bond" between Rey and Ben was (kiss not withstanding) was a big plotline that did carry through all the movies pretty well.

And give Poe back BB-8!. It is his droid and the beginging of the movie even showed Poe was concerned about BB-8 and Rey about the Falcon. The Falcon should have been seen on Tatooine in the end solidifying her as a Solo. She stole BB-8 and is a thief who needs some bounties on her head for that. Get Mandalorian Baby Yoda (he is old enough by that time period) to track her down and give her the carbon freezing treatment until BB-8 is back where he belongs.

I'm all about them honoring Carrie Fisher with the plotline that they did. Many developments in Star Wars are done off-screen for good or ill. But, I think their interaction and dialogue on-screen made it plain what was going on, and it made it more impactful that Leia knew who Rey's biological grandfather was, and she obviously also knew of the connection between Rey and her own son. It's all subjective, but I liked how it played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter