Star Wars vs the Princesses - the VGF with 2 littles in June 2015! ***Finished 7/19!

We stayed at POR in March and really enjoyed it. We only stayed at Poly before that. We didn't get to spend enough time at the resort though, so we will probably stay there again next trip. Since it's only DH, DS, and myself, the room wasn't too bad. I think it could get a little cozy with 4. I was worried about the curtain at first, because I usually get up before DH and DS to get ready. However, it worked great, at least for DS. GF looks really nice, and I hope to stay sometime. Seeing the monorail from the room would be cool. Was it loud?

We love the 1900 Park Fare breakfast. Mary Poppins, Pooh, Tigger, and the Mad Hatter are always really great. Alice is hit or miss. Our first visit to WDW, we had a really great Alice. DS had done the Wonderland/Mad Hatter tea party at GF with Alice and the Mad Hatter. Later that week we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare with the same Alice. She remembered DS by name. He was totally over the moon with that.

Your MK and SWW experiences sound really great. We are planning on going to SWW for the first time next year. I hope Baymax is there next year, but I suspect that won't happen. We should have seen him in March, but DS9 isn't always into meeting the characters. I totally understand how your daughter felt about MSEP. It was the first parade I saw as a kid at WDW. It still amazes me and makes me a little teary-eyed, especially seeing the look in my DS face while he watches it.

I love getting a massage at a spa on vacation. I have previously gotten one at Saratoga Springs (GF was closed at the time for remodeling) and then GF in March. I am definitely going to do it again on the next trip. It's so nice to have some relaxing alone time at WDW.

The TR is really good, and it looks like your family had a great time. Looking forward to reading more.

Joining in for your TR - I just finished your PTR. I have always wanted to stay at GF and maybe one day but right now we are in the moderate zone because we like to stay 10 - 11 days! Love POR, we have not stayed in Alligator Bayou but the mansion area is nice!
AND THEN as I was trying to fall asleep, I realized that we had left a bag at baggage claim - just totally forgot to get our 3rd bag.
Oh my, that would be stressful but luckily you had a down day!

I woke up at 6 am the following morning SO happy to be at Disney
Isn't that a wonderful feeling to wake up that first morning and realize that you are at Disney!

We love DTD and WPE! Loved the pictures of the kids (they are so cute) and when your son said "My found Disney World" when he rode the train! :D

Your picture at 1900 Park Fare is so good! We went to 1900 Park Fare last year on our first night and I agree the food was okay but not the best. Also Cinderella and Prince Charming interactions were very formal which I have found with all Cinderellas. We loved the interactions with the stepmother and stepsisters! They were a hoot! :rotfl2:

I went to MK after they were in bed and enjoyed just strolling and shopping on Main Street, and eating a cupcake :)

This sounds awesome to have some me time at the parks just to stroll, shop and eat a cupcake in peace!

Love all the pictures and interactions with Star Wars and don't you just love how kids will change their interests! I am glad you got into the Glalactic Breakfast, the character interactions look great!

We'd brought DS's stuffed Baymax which Hiro got a kick out of - travel sized! DD got to fist bump Baymax :)

Loved the movie and so glad you guys got to meet them! I hear they are no longer there - :(. How cool your DD got to do the fist bump! Awesome.

Unfortunately we think DH's breakfast gave him food poisoning because he was quite ill all day - ugh, poor guy.

Poor thing - this would be awful!

I proceeded to have the BEST DAY EVER. DD & I had reservations for the Perfectly Princess Tea Party which was basically the pinnacle of the trip. DD was totally enchanted the entire time.

2015-06-05-disney-2015-046_opt-jpg.103201
2015-06-05-disney-2015-035_opt-jpg.103204

The musician also comes around and asks each child what songs they would like him to play (DD requested the Star Wars song and cracked him up...)

It does look like you guys did have a "Perfectly Princess Tea Party"! The pictures are awesome and your little girl is so cute and loved that she requested a SW song! :darth:

I had a 1 pm appointment at the Spa for an 80 minute massage - total heaven.

So jealous, I may have to talk my husband into this! Sounds like Heaven!

They loved the rain cover - spent the rest of the night pretending they were in their little house, even after the rain stopped.

How cute! Looks like you guys made the best of the rain and still had fun.

Can't wait to hear the rest.

oh my gosh that looks like a lot of rain! and having to go through 8" of water is just never fun

Glad to hear about the stroller set up and that the kids were fine

Love your husbands shirt (at least it appears to be a swallow/coconut Monty Python one)

Sounds like a fun evening and glad your daughter enjoyed the MSEP so much!

LOL yes, Monty Python shirt - good catch!

We stayed at POR in March and really enjoyed it. We only stayed at Poly before that. We didn't get to spend enough time at the resort though, so we will probably stay there again next trip. Since it's only DH, DS, and myself, the room wasn't too bad. I think it could get a little cozy with 4. I was worried about the curtain at first, because I usually get up before DH and DS to get ready. However, it worked great, at least for DS. GF looks really nice, and I hope to stay sometime. Seeing the monorail from the room would be cool. Was it loud?

We love the 1900 Park Fare breakfast. Mary Poppins, Pooh, Tigger, and the Mad Hatter are always really great. Alice is hit or miss. Our first visit to WDW, we had a really great Alice. DS had done the Wonderland/Mad Hatter tea party at GF with Alice and the Mad Hatter. Later that week we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare with the same Alice. She remembered DS by name. He was totally over the moon with that.

Your MK and SWW experiences sound really great. We are planning on going to SWW for the first time next year. I hope Baymax is there next year, but I suspect that won't happen. We should have seen him in March, but DS9 isn't always into meeting the characters. I totally understand how your daughter felt about MSEP. It was the first parade I saw as a kid at WDW. It still amazes me and makes me a little teary-eyed, especially seeing the look in my DS face while he watches it.

I love getting a massage at a spa on vacation. I have previously gotten one at Saratoga Springs (GF was closed at the time for remodeling) and then GF in March. I am definitely going to do it again on the next trip. It's so nice to have some relaxing alone time at WDW.

The TR is really good, and it looks like your family had a great time. Looking forward to reading more.

The monorail was a gentle whooshing sound each time it went by - not bothersome at all. We sleep with white noise at night anyhow though.

I'm so glad we caught Baymax - total highlight for us.

DO get a massage! So worth it!

Joining in for your TR - I just finished your PTR. I have always wanted to stay at GF and maybe one day but right now we are in the moderate zone because we like to stay 10 - 11 days! Love POR, we have not stayed in Alligator Bayou but the mansion area is nice!

Oh my, that would be stressful but luckily you had a down day!

Isn't that a wonderful feeling to wake up that first morning and realize that you are at Disney!

We love DTD and WPE! Loved the pictures of the kids (they are so cute) and when your son said "My found Disney World" when he rode the train! :D

Your picture at 1900 Park Fare is so good! We went to 1900 Park Fare last year on our first night and I agree the food was okay but not the best. Also Cinderella and Prince Charming interactions were very formal which I have found with all Cinderellas. We loved the interactions with the stepmother and stepsisters! They were a hoot! :rotfl2:

This sounds awesome to have some me time at the parks just to stroll, shop and eat a cupcake in peace!

Love all the pictures and interactions with Star Wars and don't you just love how kids will change their interests! I am glad you got into the Glalactic Breakfast, the character interactions look great!

Loved the movie and so glad you guys got to meet them! I hear they are no longer there - :(. How cool your DD got to do the fist bump! Awesome.

Poor thing - this would be awful!
It does look like you guys did have a "Perfectly Princess Tea Party"! The pictures are awesome and your little girl is so cute and loved that she requested a SW song! :darth:

So jealous, I may have to talk my husband into this! Sounds like Heaven!

How cute! Looks like you guys made the best of the rain and still had fun.

Can't wait to hear the rest.

Thanks for reading! So fun to do the report :)

Oh my goodness I am behind - so sorry for the delay! Will try to finish up this weekend!

Day 6 - Animal Kingdom/Pool/Star Wars Weekends!

Getting up was a little rough this morning, as expected! We had planned this day to have DH do SWW stuff this afternoon (Ray Park mostly), so he had FP+ for HS, so we couldn't do FP+ for Animal Kingdom. So we had to get up and get to rope drop for the Safari.

AK_BUSSTOPMARQUEEICON_7338978776_opt.jpg

Luckily, an AK bus came just as we walked up, and we were at AK by 8:15. Walked right to Safari and walked on the ride. A note for other parents - take the stroller into the line with you. Stroller parking was about halfway through the line. I'm going to spare you all the Safari photos that look just like everyone else's, but we had a great time :)

Next we headed down the Pangani Trail. We were planning on the 10 am FOTLK show, so we had to rush through Pangani a little - this timing didn't work well. Should have done a later show and planned more exploration time for earlier in the morning, when it was cooler.

IMG_4148_opt.jpg

DH stopped for pretzels and I took the kids to the FOTLK show. Slight mistake as food was not allowed in... he made it into the show but couldn't sit with us. Oops.

The show was amazing though. So glad we didn't miss it. The kids were transfixed.

Then headed around the park. The original plan was Maharajah and maybe Kali RR, but it was HOT and we were tired. We stopped and played drums which the kids enjoyed. Somehow missed the turn for Maharajah and we didn't feel like going back. We walked by the Nemo show just as it was starting, and though it wasn't on our original plan, the AC sounded like a great idea! Glad we did it because DS especially loved it. Nice AC break.

Then to the boneyard. We completely skipped Dinoland because it was so darn hot. We played in the play area for quite awhile before we found the dig site, which is over a bridge. Kids loved it and it was cooler.

IMG_4156_opt.jpg

We had originally planned on Tusker House, but cancelled after we discovered the kids weren't much into characters. We picked Restaurantasaurus mostly for location and because I saw that they had pails & shovels with kids meals - knew these would be popular at our hotel beach!

Made it out of the very hot park and back to the hotel for naps. DS slept till 4:30!

DH went to HS by himself for SWW stuff. He had a FP+ for the Ray Park talk which he enjoyed a lot, and he enjoyed just walking around without kids :) He did Star Tours again (5 times?) and shopped.

I took the kids to the Alice splash pool, and we had a lovely afternoon. The kids started out afraid of the dumping water, but by the time we were done, they were standing under it waiting for the dump! And they loved the beach. I ordered a delicious crab cake sandwich from the pool bar - was able to order and have them bring it to me without hauling the kids out of the pool, which was awesome :) Off to bed for an early bedtime!

IMG_4166_opt.jpg

Last edited:

Sounds like you had a lovely day even with the heat. Would love to be sitting poolside right now with a crab cake sandwich. Looks like the kids were having fun with those buckets!!

Last edited:
Day 7 - Magic Kingdom again!

Very exciting day - we had Crystal Palace, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and CRT reservations! Unfortunately it started with grumpy kids who didn't want to wake up. But we were at MK by 7:45 for our 8 am breakfast at Crystal Palace. It was nice to go in early but there is still a large amount of people going in at the same time - no empty park shots. Yummy breakfast (loved the breakfast lasagna!) and the kids enjoyed the characters. It's such a beautiful restaurant. I remember eating there as a kid. Such cute photo ops :) Both kids were trying to get Tigger to bounce with them but alas, Tigger was not terribly interactive.

2015-06-07 Disney 2015 019_opt.jpg2015-06-07 Disney 2015 007_opt.jpg

Took a few minutes to change a diaper at Baby Care since it was just next door - such a nice spot. As a formerly nursing mama, I would have so appreciated a cool, clean, quiet spot to tend to babies! And we still beat most of the rope drop crowd.

We headed to Jungle Cruise first, walked right on. I must confess it was a little boring. But a nice boat ride. Then off to Splash Mountain with DD - loved it! I love Zipadeedoodah and DD loved the whole thing - handled the drop just fine. This photo cracks me up - she looks terrified but I promise she loved it :) I asked for the back row to try to avoid soaking and was successful :)

MK_SPLASH_7340440478_opt.jpg

DH & DS were hanging out in the play place under Splash - it's to the right of the line entrance (sort of near the exit). Great little play place in the shade.

We decided to do Haunted Mansion next, which was our only wait of the trip - 15 min - DD loved it. DS jumped big time at the loud noise in the stretching room, but was otherwise just fine and he liked it too. This photo cracks me up because we were all doing the "roar" that the photographer asked for, except for DS :)

MK_HAUNTEDMANSIONRIDE_7340521851_opt.jpg

We caught the Jack Sparrow pirate show on our way to POTC. Both kids loved it, but DD nearly had a meltdown over not being picked to join in - oh well. Then POTC with FP+ - this is one of our favorites and so happy the kids loved it too :) DD chose a pirate girl costume at the gift shop that she adores.

We split up at this point - DH/DS did Tiki Room and Country Bears, and I took DD to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique! When we arrived at 11:10 for our 11:15 reservation, they told us that due to an earlier fire alarm, they were running 45 minutes behind - yikes! We shopped nearby at Castle Couture and checked in later, and they actually started her at 11:30. We brought our own dress, and they just had me change her in their lovely changing rooms before they started with her.

IMG_4185_opt.jpg

Ah, BBB. It was worth it. She soaked up every bit of pampering, and talked the ladies' ears off. I had told them we had a CRT reservation for 12:20 so I think that's why they had 2 ladies working on her. Holy cow was that a tight bun. She was asking for it to be out within an hour, but I was able to loosen it enough to make her content the rest of the day. She's not used to tight hair.

MK_BBBCASTLE1_7341726132_opt.jpgMK_BBBCASTLE2_7341726117_opt.jpg

We then went over to Castle Couture for photos... the photographer left a lot to be desired as far as his ability to work with a 5 year old girl. Every single shot is a little ridiculous to me, but they didn't cost extra so oh well.

Then we had some extra time before lunch, so of course rode the carousel!

2015-06-07 Disney 2015 056_opt.jpg

Lunch at CRT! We had to wait in line awhile for photos with Cinderella, who was again not very interactive. Being in the castle was so exciting for DD though, even just walking up the stairs was thrilling. They handed a sword to my 2 year old son as soon as we were seated - oh thank you so very much. If you're a parent, you can guess how the rest of the meal went. We had enough trouble getting him to remain seated in restaurants, without a sword. Oh well. It was very nice of them to give him one since he was only 2. DD enjoyed the princesses coming around and we did enjoy the food. Someday my son will sit through a meal in a restaurant :)

2015-06-07 Disney 2015 071 - Copy_opt.jpg

IMG_1338_opt.jpg

My wonderful DH took DS back to the hotel for naps, and I decided to stay at MK with DD as long as she could handle it.

Continued!

I was hoping to catch the FOF parade at 3 and make it to our Anna & Elsa FP+ later. Anything else was gravy :) We had a lovely afternoon. Stopped to change her out of her hot dress, then did the Magic Carpets and the Tiki Room.

IMG_4207_opt.jpg

Then found a spot for the parade and she LOVED LOVED LOVED this parade. Kept exclaiming "she waved at me!" etc. Very cool. I just wish it weren't in the hottest part of the day.

2015-06-07 Disney 2015 099_opt.jpg

After the parade, we saw Country Bears which was cute :) Then I made the great decision to head out to Tom Sawyer Island - this was just the break from the crowds and stimulation that DD needed. She had a blast all by herself playing on the fort thing and then we checked out the tunnels. There is enough shade and breeze there that it was very comfortable even at 4 pm in June. Highly recommended!

IMG_4220_opt.jpg

We had a FP+ to meet Tinkerbell which was great - DD had quite a conversation with Tink and the set is cute.

MK_TSFAIRIESACHAR_7341726124_opt.jpg

MK_MSFIRSTA_7341302910_opt.jpg

Then we caught part of the castle show which she loved. Got a HUGE ice cream cookie sandwich, and then off to our Anna & Elsa FP+. We had to wait 10 min even with FP+ - ugh - and the line was warm and stuffy. Anna was delightful and DD chatted with her, and Elsa was a little cool :).

MK_PFTHBLUEC1CHAR_7341397743_opt.jpg

DD then insisted on one more ride on the carousel, and we headed back to the hotel very tired about 6 pm!

Day 8 - EPCOT!

We didn't have any reason to make rope drop, which was nice to not rush this morning. We got there about 9:15. I had a Character Spot FP+ from 9-10 just because I had had to pick a 3rd FP, but we decided to do it as we were walking in, and glad we did because that was the only time we actually met Mickey!

EPCOT_CHRCON1_7341882708_opt.jpg

Walked on the Nemo ride then Turtle Talk- very cool. A note that the entrance to the building feeds right into the Nemo ride. Go left and go in the big automatic doors if you don't want to get on the ride and just see the aquariums/etc.

One of DS's favorites of the whole trip was the seagulls (Mine! Mine! Hi! Hi!) outside the Nemo building. He still talks about them.

Turtle Talk was really cool. They had all the kids sit on the floor up front and to my amazement, DS went and sat with DD, quite a distance away from us, and didn't move the whole time! I wish we'd had more time to hang out and see all the aquariums here.

We had to get to DH's Test Track FP so headed there at 10:30, via Starbucks. He rode alone and we got a rider swap pass but ended up deciding that DD wouldn't really like it. The kids LOVED playing in the cars at the Test Track exit - we were there forever.

Then to Soarin - DD and I had FP+ for this. (The rider swap thing with FP+ is awesome at EPCOT!). DD & I both did get a little motion sick on this one but loved it. DH and DS did Circle of Life while we were on Soarin, which DH said was pretty boring :) We then had lunch at Sunshine Seasons (love the selection here!), and DH & DD used the rider swap for Soarin.

Back to the hotel for a nap for DS, and DH & DD enjoyed the Alice pool again. I packed :( and our babysitter arrived at 5!

If you read our pre-trip report, I was REALLY nervous about booking a babysitter we don't know, but the thought of a kid-free night at Disney with my DH won out. I'm so glad we did. We used Kids Nite Out and the young woman who came had a BS in Elementary Education already and was leaving for a tutoring job in France this fall. She was great. Handled bedtime very well with my tired kids.

And we had a DATE NIGHT!

IMG_4241_opt.jpg

We had decided that we'd rather wander EPCOT with no agenda than have a reservation, and that's just what we did. Delicous fish and chips and Guinness in the UK, Creme brûlée in France, Swarma in Morocco, Caramel, bratwurst, beer in Germany, School bread in Norway. I was SO FULL by this time. Such a lovely evening of wandering and shopping. We did the Mexican boat ride which was nice, romantic and relaxing. We left EPOT before Illuminations since it was closing at 9 and we had several more babysitter hours, and headed to MK. We watched Wishes from Tomorrowland - I wish we'd had a FP+ for the viewing area. We then did the People Mover and the Carousel of Progress and headed back to the hotel very tired!

Day 9 - MK then home!

Our flight didn't leave till 4:30, so we had decided that we would want to spend one last morning at the MK. Glad we did because I really feel like we had enough time to do everything at MK as many times as we wanted.

This was an 8 am MK opening day. I would have loved to be there for that rope drop to beat crowds, but with packing and kids it just didn't happen. Had our bags picked up and were at MK at 8:30. When we walked in, the Peter Pan line was listed on the Lines app at 7 minutes, but by the time we got back there, the posted wait was 50 minutes, and I didn't want to chance being in a line that long with my kids! So we did Pooh again, and then SDMT for DH & DD again with FP+. DS & I did Dumbo again and then the teacups which he loved.

IMG_4258_opt (1).jpg

Then the Little Mermaid ride again (big favorite) and met Ariel with FP - she was lovely and very bubbly.

MK_GROTTOBCHAR_7343445256_opt.jpg

Then we had FP+ for the Speedway because it was one thing DS had been looking forward to since before the trip. I didn't know if he would be allowed to drive, and he was - holy cow was that interesting with a 2 year old driving!

IMG_4284_opt.jpg

We headed back to the Grand, checked our bags at the airline desk, and had lunch at Gasparilla Grill. Were on the ME at 1:20 pm :(

IMG_4295_opt.jpg

The rest of the day was the LONGEST DAY EVER because we sat on the tarmac in Denver for 2 HOURS due to thunderstoms... with a tired 2 year old who had spent the morning at MK and then not napped all day. Oh goodness. We were happy to be home that night!

Final thoughts!!!

I would love to answer questions from anyone trip planning right now - ask away! TR's were so helpful to me in my planning. What I found was that we changed our plans a LOT (ADR's and FP+) but the amount of research I'd done gave me the knowledge to be able to change our plans at the last minute and know what would be best.

Memory maker - SO VERY worth it. It was so great having photographers at every M&G and we tried to get lots of family shots. Love these. They got so many great shots.

Stroller rental - we used Kingdom Strollers and the whole thing was just awesome. Easy pickup, the bellman showed me how to operate it. The double was a total necessity for our kids. The canopies were so big that the kids could really hide away when they were overstimulated. It was easy to fold up. Do note that you have to fold them on all boats & buses. We almost never had to fold it on the monorail - huge perk to staying on the monorail.

I wish I had studied the maps more and known bathrooms and shortcuts better. We totally missed the Rapunzel bathrooms, just forgot about them and never ended up there!

Be ready to go with the flow as far as what your kids are into. I totally thought the characters would be the highlight, but it turned out that their favorites were the Peter Pan type rides, and everything Star Wars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter