Starkist Tuna Class Action

I'm unaware of this. What was it all about? Why was Star Kist offering a settlement?

Back in 2013, a class action lawsuit was filed because Starkist was underfilling the tuna cans. Back then, those that filed a claim were promised we'd receive approximately either a cash payment of $25, or $50 in product vouchers redeemable for StarKist tuna products. Of course, that was contingent on how many filed a claim. That amount was estimated for only 200,000 claims.

The problem was that the news of the lawsuit went viral all over social media. So, pretty much anyone who'd ever eaten a can of tuna wanted in as one could file their claim online. We didn't even need receipts or to provide proof we'd ever bought a can of Starkist Tuna. So the claims jumped up to two and a half million instead of 200,000.

And as a PP said, only the lawyers working on the lawsuit made any real money. :sad2:

<section snipped>
"The case dates back to 2013, when California consumer Patrick Hendricks sued StarKist, accusing it of underfilling 5-ounce cans of tuna. StarKist eventually agreed to settle the case, inviting any shopper who had purchased any of the affected varieties of its products to file a claim “for either a cash payment of $25, or $50 in product vouchers redeemable for StarKist tuna products”.​
That was in 2015.​
Thanks to the promise of a big payout (“Free money!” many blogs and local news stories proclaimed), the claim form went viral. And that caused problems that are still being worked out today.​
StarKist set aside enough money to cover up to 200,000 claims. Instead, more than two and a half million people submitted claims for cash or coupons. So it took a while for the overwhelmed parties to the settlement to work out the details. And they’re still working on them.​
Settlement administrator KCC Class Action Services is now looking for a larger piece of the pie – for itself. In a motion filed with the court last week, KCC is requesting an August hearing on its request for a larger administrative fee – with some of that money coming out of the settlement fund and, therefore, out of your pocket.​
Either way, the fact that the hearing may not be held until this fall [Sept] means it will be that much longer before you get anything at all from StarKist.​
“The viral nature of this settlement caused the scope of work to expand far beyond the initial projections,” KCC told the court. “This will result in increased costs and expenses” associated with sending out many more checks and coupons than KCC had budgeted for.
So KCC is asking the court for an additional payment of $618,308, which will come out of the settlement fund – and, therefore, reduce the amount of money available for consumers.
But those amounts won’t be very much anyway.​
According to details of the settlement worked out earlier this year, claimants who chose a cash payment are eligible to receive $2.74 – far less than the “cash payment of $25” they thought they’d get. Those who chose the coupons will receive $5.03 worth of coupons – far less than the “$50 in product vouchers” they had hoped for.​
That’s because of the fine print on the claim form that most people overlooked. “These claim amounts may be subject to pro rata dilution if the total amount of claims exceeds the available settlement funds,” the form read.​
“This case received far more publicity than usual, and… several of those reports mistakenly told consumers that by filing a claim each consumer who filed a claim could expect to receive between $25 and $50,” KCC told the court.​
That’s why two and a half million people signed on, and why two and a half million people are likely to be disappointed in what they get – whenever they actually get it."​

Last edited:

Back in 2013, a class action lawsuit was filed because Starkist was underfilling the tuna cans. Back then, those that filed a claim were promised we'd receive approximately either a cash payment of $25, or $50 in product vouchers redeemable for StarKist tuna products. Of course, that was contingent on how many filed a claim. That amount was estimated for only 200,000 claims.

The problem was that the news of the lawsuit went viral all over social media. So, pretty much anyone who'd ever eaten a can of tuna wanted in as one could file their claim online. We didn't even need receipts or to provide proof we'd ever bought a can of Starkist Tuna. So the claims jumped up to two and a half million instead of 200,000.

And as a PP said, only the lawyers working on the lawsuit made any real money. :sad2:

<section snipped>
"The case dates back to 2013, when California consumer Patrick Hendricks sued StarKist, accusing it of underfilling 5-ounce cans of tuna. StarKist eventually agreed to settle the case, inviting any shopper who had purchased any of the affected varieties of its products to file a claim “for either a cash payment of $25, or $50 in product vouchers redeemable for StarKist tuna products”.​
That was in 2015.​
Thanks to the promise of a big payout (“Free money!” many blogs and local news stories proclaimed), the claim form went viral. And that caused problems that are still being worked out today.​
StarKist set aside enough money to cover up to 200,000 claims. Instead, more than two and a half million people submitted claims for cash or coupons. So it took a while for the overwhelmed parties to the settlement to work out the details. And they’re still working on them.​
Settlement administrator KCC Class Action Services is now looking for a larger piece of the pie – for itself. In a motion filed with the court last week, KCC is requesting an August hearing on its request for a larger administrative fee – with some of that money coming out of the settlement fund and, therefore, out of your pocket.​
Either way, the fact that the hearing may not be held until this fall [Sept] means it will be that much longer before you get anything at all from StarKist.​
“The viral nature of this settlement caused the scope of work to expand far beyond the initial projections,” KCC told the court. “This will result in increased costs and expenses” associated with sending out many more checks and coupons than KCC had budgeted for.
So KCC is asking the court for an additional payment of $618,308, which will come out of the settlement fund – and, therefore, reduce the amount of money available for consumers.
But those amounts won’t be very much anyway.​
According to details of the settlement worked out earlier this year, claimants who chose a cash payment are eligible to receive $2.74 – far less than the “cash payment of $25” they thought they’d get. Those who chose the coupons will receive $5.03 worth of coupons – far less than the “$50 in product vouchers” they had hoped for.​
That’s because of the fine print on the claim form that most people overlooked. “These claim amounts may be subject to pro rata dilution if the total amount of claims exceeds the available settlement funds,” the form read.​
“This case received far more publicity than usual, and… several of those reports mistakenly told consumers that by filing a claim each consumer who filed a claim could expect to receive between $25 and $50,” KCC told the court.​
That’s why two and a half million people signed on, and why two and a half million people are likely to be disappointed in what they get – whenever they actually get it."​

Thanks for the explanation. I'm guessing at least 50% of the claimants never purchased StarKist tuna and were only looking for a cash grab.

I'm unaware of this. What was it all about? Why was Star Kist offering a settlement?
I read about it. Apparently for not providing the full amount listed on the package.

Granted it's pretty common for companies to simply reduce the amount. But we've seen standard sizes go down to keep the price down on the idea that many people won't really notice. The half-gallon standard for most ice cream sold in the US went down to 1.75 and then 1.5 quarts. With tuna it's a simple matter of adding more water or oil to make up for the lack of actual meat.

I read about it. Apparently for not providing the full amount listed on the package.

Granted it's pretty common for companies to simply reduce the amount. But we've seen standard sizes go down to keep the price down on the idea that many people won't really notice. The half-gallon standard for most ice cream sold in the US went down to 1.75 and then 1.5 quarts. With tuna it's a simple matter of adding more water or oil to make up for the lack of actual meat.

I don't mind that ice cream went from half-gallons to 1.75 to 1.5 quarts. I never used so much at a time to make a difference. Same for mayonnaise and other condiments.

But I don't like that tuna was reduced from 7 oz. to 6 and now 5 oz. It's sometimes not enough for my purposes, and two cans is often too much. 7 oz. cans are becoming difficult to find in regular supermarkets. I know they're available on line or at Costco in packs of 6 or 8.

And the past few years I've been noticing that 5 oz. cans state "drained weight 4 oz." The rest is water or oil. Maybe this is the result of the class action lawsuit.

And the past few years I've been noticing that 5 oz. cans state "drained weight 4 oz." The rest is water or oil. Maybe this is the result of the class action lawsuit.
I think the class action was about shortchanging based on the listed drained weight.

Even then there's a lot of stuff we can buy where much is just water and it's perfectly legal. I've bought clams before, where they're sold by weight. If they're kept in water and they keep shut tight trapping in that water. I remember one time I bought some at one of our large Asian supermarket chains around here, and the attendant poked a few holes in the bag and told me to let it drain a little so I didn't get charged for excess water. I've seen live clams sold in a refrigerator case and I'm thinking they tend to dry out.

I got my coupon today, for $5.03. Too bad I bought three Starkist packages of tuna on Friday. lol

Did you have to fill out anything new for them to arrive? Or was whatever you filled when you registered for the lawsuit enough? I don't remember the email I used. So I don't know if I got an email from them saying I'm getting a coupon.

Did you have to fill out anything new for them to arrive? Or was whatever you filled when you registered for the lawsuit enough? I don't remember the email I used. So I don't know if I got an email from them saying I'm getting a coupon.
I haven't filled anything out other than the initial joining the lawsuit like three years ago. LOL I did not get an email this last week like others.

I finally got my $5.03 coupon. :thumbsup2 Thanks, OP, for alerting us about it. If it wasn't for this thread, I might have tossed the coupon thinking it's junk mail ad. (Which could be what Starkist wants.) It's just a cheaply printed postcard. I would never have thought it was actual money owed to me.

I got my check Saturday, and I'm disappointed. Not the amount, I knew that, but I'm positive I requested coupons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter