Start with Convention, Finish with Fun (Solo October 2019 Pre-Trip Report)

Keckster

Earning My Ears
I'm attending Learning 2019 convention the last week of October and when it wraps up mid-week, the rest will be nothing but fun!

I went to WDW in the mid-'70s as a kid and never made it back until I took my kids last October 2018. Then just my wife and I returned in February 2019 over an extended weekend. Now I'm taking my first solo trip in October 2019. So, in the course of about a year, I will have made 3 visits each with different circumstances. I'm doing the same level of planning this time as with previous because this will also be a Disney photo safari, if you will, of the parks and various resorts. Here's the initial itinerary:

Saturday 10/26 (Arrival Day -- and it's my birthday to boot!)
I arrive at MCO about 12:30 and hope to be at Coronado Springs by or before 2:00 as past experience with Magical Express has been 45 minutes to an hour from stepping off the plane to stepping into the resort. While I'm not staying in the new tower, I'm looking forward to seeing if finished as there was still a lot of construction happening at my last stay (Oct. 2018). Then it's off to Disney Springs, boat trips to Port Orleans Riverside and back to French Quarter (Feb. 2019 stay) for some picture taking. I might have to grab a beignet while at French Quarter. Next a bus ride Magic Kindom and either walk or monorail to Contemporary. I've not been able to snag an ADR for California Grill so I am hoping I can get into the Lounge portion. I'd like to be able to take some Happily Ever After fireworks pictures from atop the Contemporary before heading back to Coronado for end of day one.

Sunday, 10/27
I start the day off bright and early with a special "Business Behind the Magic" tour in connection with the conference I'm attending. I'll get to see the backstage and inner workings of the Magic Kingdom. This is a no rides tour and definitely, no opportunity for photography since most of it will be backstage but I am absolutely looking forward to it. I should be back to Coronado by 11:30, but don't plan to stick around. The plan is to actually use the mini-golf perk included with the park tickets package. I plan to hit Fantasia Gardens and also some resort photography along the way. This is also my chance to try out the new Disney Skyliner. I'm planning to go from Epcot International Gateway to Hourglass lake station (may check out Art of Animation resort), then back to Hollywood Studios station to catch a bus back to Coronado with time to spare before the official opening session of the convention in the evening.

Monday, 10/28
This is mainly a convention day, but I do have an ADR for Toledo that evening and hope to get some good night time resort photos (and possible fireworks from the top of the tower even though Star Wars fireworks at Hollywood Studios are minimal). I also just generally plan to get some nice pictures of Coronado Springs Resort.

Tuesday, 10/29
Another convention day is on tap, but tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party are included. So, the evening should be a fun one. My family and I went to MNSSHP in October 2018. We didn't catch the parade so that's on my to-do list this time. There's a new fireworks show this year, so I don't know if I just watch from the hub with the masses or try to get some artistic photos from elsewhere in the park. I'm sure I will catch a few rides and stock up on trick-or-treat candy. No plans for doing any character meet and greets.

Wednesday, 10/30
Attending the conference again in the morning, but it wraps up before noon. I'll be heading over to Animal Kingdom for the rest of the day. My main goals here are early evening Kilimanjaro Safari. Previous two visits were morning outings. I'm hoping to snag some good photos. Before that, I'd like to work in seeing the Finding Nemo show (saw the Lion King one this past February). And then, of course, it's Pandora in the evening for another round of photography opportunities (and of course Flight of Passage, if I can score a FastPass, or I might just go ahead and do standby -- rope dropped it Oct. 2018 and FP+ Feb. 2019). The last goal is to catch Tree of Like Awakenings. We saw Rivers of Light during the family trip and while it has changed, I'd rather spend the time elsewhere.

Thursday, 10/31 (Halloween!)
This will be the "up well before the crack of dawn" to head over to Hollywood Studios and try to catch Galaxy's Edge with probably several hundred of my not-so-close friends. We'll be nearing the end of the Extra Extra Magic Hours calendar period so it'll be interesting how that will play out. I'll either start out in Galaxy's Edge or maybe hit the other parts of the Park and sign up for a "flight" entry if they do the same thing they did for the Disneyland opening. By the time I get there, we will have plenty of data from the August through October stretch to figure out a game plan. Not thrilled about all the other ride attractions being lumped into Tier 1. In any event, I plan to hop over to Epcot and Food and Wine Festival around 2:00 PM and then finish up the night there. I didn't get a chance to ride Test Track the previous two visits, so that really the only to-do attraction. I know Epcot is getting tore up a lot lately (well Future World anyway). I'm a little concerned about what that'll do for photography options. I'll catch the new Epcot Forever show and head home. I might take Skyliner to Hollywood Studio (since I'll be closer to the International Gateway) and then a bus back to Coronado from there. I might be able to time it and see Star Wars fireworks from the Skyliner. I'd even head back into Hollywood Studios if there was time, but that might be pushing it.

Friday, 11/1 (Departure Day)
I have a mid-evening flight home so I'll get to spend the morning in another park, probably the Magic Kingdom for some daytime photos. I'm sure I'll have to be back to Coronado around 3:30-4:00 to catch the Magical (Tragical) Express back to the airport. I arrive back home around 11:30 PM central time and take the rest of the weekend to recuperate. It's going to be a jam-packed week, but it's only me I have to worry about wearing out.

So that's the pre-trip plan. More details to come when the FP+ booking window opens up. We'll see how it goes as there's always the weather that can be a factor. Had to fret over Hurricane Michael (C5) in October 2018. I'll post more updates later. Feel free to share thoughts and must do's for a solo trip!

Last edited:
Initially, I was going to chalk up seeing Oga's Cantina as a pipe dream as I am not that diehard of a fan to kill too much time waiting. Then when Disney surprise us this week by opening up ADRs, I thought there was a chance. But, then quickly my hopes were dashed as every time I selected a reservation slot, the website would bump me out of the process. I signed up for Touringplans.com reservation finder and got notified today and was fortunate enough to secure a 10 AM reservation for 10/31. So, I'll be grabbing a breakfast drink and hopefully some pictures.

Well... not surprisingly... time for adjustments. I found out that the "party ticket" being provided, as part of the conference I am attending, is not for MNSSHP but Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. I guess I should have known as that would seem to appeal to attendees (except maybe me). New dates also dropped for the Animal Kingdom After Hours Party. Fortunately, all of this happened before the 60-day FP+ reservation window. So here's the latest plan:

Saturday 10/26
Nothing change arrival wise, but instead of Disney Springs and boat rides to POR/POFQ and final destination of Contemporary for Happily Ever After firework photography, I am now headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge area for photos. I'll leave AK Lodge to arrive at AK by 7:00 for early entrance before the After Hours Party. This will give me plenty of opportunity for Pandora nighttime photos, not to mention easy ride access to FoP, EE, Dinosaur. I may even go ahead and watch new RoL show. So, no beignets but instead free ice cream, popcorn, and soda (well, not free, but included in AHP ticket).

Sunday, 10/27 & Monday, 10/28
No changes for these two days (see original post).

Tuesday, 10/29
So now, after the conference ends for the day, it is Epcot and Food & Wine festival at night. I'm not much of a foodie, but I'll grab dinner at open festival booths. However, I don't think I'll spend much time in the World Showcase and instead hit Future World (navigating around the various construction) and try to catch attractions. My main goal is to get Test Track (via single rider) and Mission Space (Orange). My companions in the last visits only wanted to stick with the "Green" side. I do plan to catch the new Epcot Forever! nighttime show and then the park has evening Extra Magic Hours from 9:00-11:00, which I'll take advantage of as well. I understand, from D23 announcement, that there will be an interactive display in the Odyssey Center of upcoming Epcot changes (opening Oct. 1) that looks interesting. Can't really schedule any FP+ until they hand-out tickets before leaving for the park. I'm hoping I can easily link it to my MDE account and maybe snag something in route.

Wednesday, 10/30
I'm still heading over to AK after the conference wraps up, but since I'm attending AHP on 10/26, this visit will be short with the goal of riding Kilimanjaro Safaris (w/o FP+), then walking through Gorilla Falls and Maharaja Jungle Trek. If time permits, I might still catch the Finding Nemo show, but now I hope to be out and on my way to the Magic Kingdom by 5:00 PM, where if I hope to FP+ Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan. I'll also try to sneak in Country Bear Jamboree, Small World, Under the Sea, and Pooh before watching Happily Every After fireworks now from within the park.

Thursday, 10/31 (Halloween!)
Still heading out in the pre-dawn patrol for Hollywood Studios, but I think I will focus on Toy Story Land first and then get to Galaxy's Edge and Smugglers Run around 8:00 AM. Then kill time in shops, etc. until Oga's Cantina reservation at 10:00 AM. Depending on time I'm might attempt Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror before zipping back over to Epcot via Sky Liner for lunch and FP+ for Soarin'. Also, plan to spend more time in World Showcase. I may just leave the other two FPs for that day open and see what shows up for a single rider either in EP or HS. Then it's back to HS via Sky Liner by 5:00 PM. Mostly just play it by ear for the night but hope to get evening photos in Galaxy's Edge. Since I caught Epcot Forever fireworks on Tuesday, I might catch Fantasmic and/or Star Wars fireworks. Whatever the case, I'll be there to park's closing time and head out with the masses to the buses for my ride back to Coronado.

Friday, 11/1 (Departure Day)
Still heading back to MK in the morning but focusing on Extra Magic Hour in Tomorrowland area, with FP+ for Seven Dwarfs before Jungle Cruise and Pirates (also with FP+). After that, I use whatever time is left for photo opportunities before catching the Tragical Express back to MCO and flight home.

So now just a couple of days away from 60-day advance FP+ reservations. We'll see if I get what's on my plan.

Last edited:
So, one of my challenges in prepping is my photography gear, primarily my tripod. I have a sling bag for my camera and lens and other accessories (i.e. extra batteries, memory cards), but it doesn't accommodate a tripod (even my small travel size one). So I'm sort of resigned to using the same backpack we took on previous trips, which worked well when getting on rides. I just hate the fact that I will have a nearly empty backpack just for essentially the tripod. I don't want to put too much in the backpack, as then the sling bag can go into the backpack before getting on rides. I'd forgo the tripod, but that forces me to be stuck trying to use things like trashcans to set and stabilize the camera for nighttime shots, which require slower shutter speeds that can't be handheld. This is the one downside of the solo adventure. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying new bags?

Last edited:

Joining in! Awesome that you get to attend a conference in Disney. We'll be there at the same time and will actually be checking out of Coronado to switch resorts the day you check-in!

Well, this morning (8/27) was the 60-day FP+ window. I got up bright and early at 5:30 AM for 6:00 central/7:00 eastern start to FP+ mania. It actually went pretty smoothly and I secured everything on my plan in the timeslots desired. The website performed wonderfully (no "oops" with Olaf holding his head) and it was a much better experience than the last two trips. I even booked a couple of FP+ in the time frame prior AK AHP event. So here are the details:

10/26 Animal Kingdom-Arrival @ 7:00p: Kilimanjaro Safaris (6:30-7:30p); Expedition Everest (7:30-8:30p)
10/30 Magic Kingdom-Arrival @ 4:30p: Big Thunder Mountain (4:30-5:30p); Haunted Mansion (5:45-6:45p); Peter Pan Flight (6:55-7:55p)
10/31 Epcot-Arrival @ 12:30p: Soarin' (1:00-2:00p); Mission Space (2:00-3:00p)
11/1 Magic Kingdom-Arrival @ 7:00a: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (8:55-9:55a); Jungle Cruise (9:55-10:55a); Pirates of Caribbean (11:15a-12:15p)

I intentionally did not get any FP+ for Hollywood Studios as practically every ride attraction is in Tier 1 now. With attending AK AHP on 10/26, I figure there is also no need to try and secure Flight of Passage. I actually didn't plan on getting FP+ for AK AHP, but the system let me without any warning messages. I'm excited for an evening Kilimanjaro Safaris as I have only done a morning time.

The upcoming trip has a big chunk of time plan/devoted to photography. Had a mishap last weekend where my 18-55mm lens decided to go for a swim while I was switching it out. I immediately grabbed it and poured the water out and have been letting it dry out for the past 6 days. I went ahead and ordered a used/demo replacement. Mounted the swimmer lens to camera today... all seems fine. Electronics worked and no visual issues on shots taken around the house. I think I still hold on to the replacement when it arrives as a backup in case I have fumble fingers again.

Less than 20 days and finally starting to feel soon. Using miles+cash, I upgraded my flight to Orlando to first class. Since my employer is paying the bulk of the airline ticket, I figured why not kick in a little extra for a leisurely flight out. Taking late flights home and so don't expect flights to fill up--not much demand apparently to get back to my neck of the woods. Sorry to hear about the Skyliner incident. I'm still looking forward to riding it and hope it is fully functioning when I arrive. I'm liking the current level of crowd predictions. The days I visit the various parks, they are all currently showing 1 out of 10 (Touringplan stats), except for Epcot at 3. I know it is, of course, subject to change and it doesn't really matter anyway. Now I'm ready to get into the 10-day weather forecasting window.

Closing in on one week. Now it is the weather watching game. It's always fun to watch the forecast go from mostly sunny to scattered thunderstorms in a heartbeat. Somewhat expected and no doubt will change multiple times as departure day gets closer. On a different note, I'm thinking I'm going to cancel my Toledo reservation and perhaps just stop by Dahlia Lounge after dinner elsewhere.

Day 1 & 2 complete. Arrival was great and on schedule. Killed time at Animal Kingdom Lodge prior to AK After Hours Party. AK AHP was fine. Probably wouldn't do it again. Evening Safari was a bust. I got there in time to ride, but sun already set and it was essentially already dark and really couldn't see much but silhouettes of animals that were present. Like riding Everest in the dark and did it a couple of times before heading over to Dinosaur. Road it only once, because it doesn't really do much for me. Headed over to Pandora around 9:15. Flight of Passage still had some regular day guest in line, but AHP went through FP+ line. I was on in 15 minutes. Spent time taking Pandora night photos on tripod and time moved faster than I realized. Did FoP and Na'vi River a couple of times. Day 2 was a behind the scenes tour. It was interesting, but didn't learn much new, but definitely have better appreciation of various logistics for Disney (laundry, food service, Cast Member facilities, utilidor structure). The rest of the day was a test of Disney transportation system (which passed really well). I really love the Disney Skyliner. It was a 90+ degree day today (weather app said it felt like 100) and the gondola was breeze and cool. Even when it briefly stopped or slowed (and it did a couple of times), it was fine. If you were worried by the early-October "incident", I wouldn't. Had some great chats with fellow passengers (especially the people from Manchester, England--loved listening to your accents). Art of Animation is my inner child favorite resort now--very well themed. Wrapped up with opening session of conference and now Monday to mid-Wednesday is work related. But if I have to work, no better place to be than at Walt Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter