Stateroom 1864 on Freedom (pictures and description)

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
It's a common question - "what does 1864 look like?" - so I figured I'd answer it.

Please know that I don't take perfect and beautiful pictures of un-lived in staterooms. I take pictures of the room as we're using it. :) And we're kind of slobby. Or I am. :)

Also, it's really hard to get pictures of it that do it justice! I had seen pictures of it before, but when we walked in I was blown away. The pictures make it seem smaller, somehow, than it actually is.

Here is a printable page of the 12th deck.

As you can see 1864 is just to the side of looking straight forward, and it's on the port side. (I hope I got that right...I was a rower in college and that makes my understanding of port and starboard backwards, since rowers sit backwards in the boat) It's a funky wedge, which makes it big and a little bit odd. The starboard room is handicap accessible so it will be a bit different. I can't speak to how different, though. I just don't know.

The website states:

Larger Panoramic Ocean View Stateroom: Two lower twin beds that convert to Royal King. Double sofa bed. Vanity with sitting area. Private bathroom with shower. Floor to ceiling wrap around panoramic window, 76 inches high by 253 inches wide. (283 sq. ft.)

Just going to say...I have NO idea how the sofa can convert to a *double* sofabed, but people have said that this room can sleep 4 and that's the only way. There's no Pullman bed.

Not an issue for us, though, as we're just 3.

A hallway that used to be jogging track that now leads to the pano rooms.

(For a sensitive person like me, you might still smell the off-gassing of carpet paint furniture walls etc since it's a relatively new area. Others won't notice it.)

DSCF6684_zps5wfmc5ep.jpg

DSCF6607_zpsaztrtkbq.jpg

VIEW

The view you get when standing at a window and look forward. Best to keep your clothes on when standing here. :)

DSCF6660_zpstciv23qw.jpg

I was right up against the window, really trying to look forward, here.

IMG_2303_zps0vyp9ctr.jpg

Here's the view looking the other way, which ends up being a sideways and a little bit back, view. I think we were coming into St Thomas.

IMG_2245_zpsaqajiged.jpg

Standing on the "ledge" inside the window to get a higher view.

DSCF6662_zpsu9kekfyq.jpg

Who needs to be up on deck or outside on a balcony?

DSCF6671_zpsqt0mfnpb.jpg

Looking down as we maneuvered.

DSCF6674_zpsy22pd507.jpg

Straight out from our middle window.

DSCF6646_zpsuqkdpoyr.jpg

Sigh.

DSCF6812_zps6nnk30lo.jpg

Backside of curtains. You can see the back of the sofa, where our attendant stored it. We also had our two carryon sized rollerbags over there between window and sofabed. I explain that more later.

DSCF6814_zps4uukiy25.jpg

TV UNIT

There is only one TV. The top half of that TV-containing unit swivels (and locks) depending on who wants to watch TV. At one point, when DS was in charge of swiveling it, it detached a cord from a plug. So turn it back and forth. Don't just swivel it around in circles. IMO.

IMG_2246_zpses8vk0fz.jpg

There are bottom latches on both sides. Top latches on just one. So as you turn it, latch it where the top latch is. Here's the side that didn't latch that time, because it was latched on the other side.

IMG_2307_zpsweuxwcap.jpg

Latched.

DSCF6816_zpsm0feqpbb.jpg

In between.

DSCF6610_zpsikdewn77.jpg

If you're looking around for the TV remote, look in the bottom part of the unit. That's where they were the first day and each day after once our stateroom attendant had been in.

DSCF6624_zpscfwmp02f.jpg

DSCF6625_zpshg3ka4fv.jpg

Broader view of it.

DSCF6815_zps1qd4k84t.jpg

DSCF6817_zpswavgwvzd.jpg

STORAGE SPACES

I use a mesh popup container for dirty clothes. As it fills, I fold things and pack them away so we have less arguing, er, packing to do the last night.

DSCF6820_zpsncgjk89m.jpg

Above the desk area you can barely see in that picture. Nice storage.

DSCF6626_zpsjhzoer8s.jpg

DSCF6818_zps6dnz1u07.jpg

DSCF6627_zps3mrch95b.jpg

DSCF6831_zpshv2hzirr.jpg

DSCF6819_zpsytpqhqch.jpg

Looking to the right, closer to the door.

DSCF6821_zpsddwj4bqc.jpg

Above the fridge. Really decent amount of storage, though it worked better for us because I brought little popup boxes and little toiletry bags and such. When things had a place to be in, and then I put the little place on a shelf, it helped. The safe was in there, too.

DSCF6629_zpsucpnrmzq.jpg

The cabinet for the fridge. And our Evian water-package cases. Those contained a total of 24 one-liter bottles, and that kept me and DS VERY hydrated. DH had Replenish, which kept HIM hydrated.

When we got there I took out stuff on the lower part of the minifridge and put it up in the cabinet above. That gave us space. And the last night as we had finished our waters I put it back so it would be cold for the next guests, in case they were going to use them.

Actually, it had two 1-liter bottles of Evian (and some smaller ones), and we used the big ones, so at the end we just put two of "ours" in the fridge. It all worked out.

DSCF6630_zpsqgq1svjn.jpg

DSCF6824_zpskepmz780.jpg

DSCF6825_zpssnwe7k9f.jpg

Further over.

DSCF6822_zpssh5p3ani.jpg

DSCF6823_zpsa4lwefgn.jpg

Side tables next to the main bed. This is on the side away from the windows. Pictures taken as the week progressed.

DSCF6636_zpsrvaaesnp.jpg

DSCF6807_zpsckws2wpu.jpg

This is next to the windows, as you can tell by the drapes (I love the drapes). Pictures taken as the week progressed. (though his side didn't change much!)

DSCF6637_zpsvh0qt7lu.jpg

DSCF6808_zpsyymwelto.jpg

OK, so...we had had our stateroom attendant before, in January 2014, in stateroom 1700 (which is another unique room that probably deserves its own post). She is sooo nice, but she isn't necessarily the most flexible person. In 1700 we put our bags under the bed, and she objected, as that's where she keeps bedding for the room, and she had a hard time getting to it. So this time, when we saw it was Ann-Marie (a very good attendant, very nice, we would be happy to have her again) we didn't even try. So our bags were sort of stashed out of the way.

Behind the TV unit was one of the stash places. (I already mentioned the other above, in the VIEW post)

DSCF6811_zpshqmh3rfv.jpg

CLOSET

A person *can* walk in to that closet (I did), but it is right near the door, so it's at the wedgiest part of the room. It gets narrow.

DSCF6828_zpsaev30toj.jpg

It doesn't look like much space. And my pictures apparently don't show how packed I got the hanger space.

But once I was done hanging everything up, I had 7 dresses, DH had one suit (and he's a big guy so it's a big suit), DS had two suits, PLUS two more casual button-up shirts for DH along with one or two pairs of nice khakis. And they all fit.

DSCF6638_zpsekxefd2q.jpg

Closeup of the shelf above the hanger rod.

IMG_2308_zpsekrx0ecn.jpg

The view further into the closet.

IMG_2310_zpslppah90t.jpg

DSCF6643_zpsdqkkuyk6.jpg

Closer to the hanger rods.

DSCF6639_zpso9r9ylqc.jpg

DSCF6641_zpsmoloou3g.jpg

DSCF6642_zpsrgzfjtuo.jpg

Better view of floor space.

DSCF6829_zpsvjqxqkhp.jpg

MAIN BED

It was rock hard, as are all of the beds on Freedom. "Fabulously", they also have basically gotten rid of the "egg crate" cushions. Some have said they have requested extra comforters to be put under the sheets, but actually DH and I quite liked the very firm bed and didn't need to request that.

I'll say that I travel with my own pillow, which is a very thin pillow, because I'm a dainty princess, LOL. If I'd had to deal with the thick pillows on that hard bed my neck might have fallen off. The combo of firm bed and thin pillow was good for me. (pillows pictured are not mine)

DSCF6611_zpsh95anyi0.jpg

DSCF6608_zpsb1xlt6ae.jpg

SOFA BED

The first day was the only day we saw it like this. This is ONE area that I like DCL over RCCL; on Disney they put things away during the day. On Royal, so far, they don't. We haven't requested it, though. But I would like that sofa during the day. Might request it in the future and maybe bribe/tip them ahead of time (I don't normally tip in advance) so they know the extra work is worth it.

DSCF6609_zpszlm643fk.jpg

We were starting to pack.

DSCF6810_zps8rmnukoe.jpg

The bigger bag is a full sized bag. You can see my carryon-sized Disney Heys bag opened up the other way, fitting across the sleeping space. Even though it looks big like this, for my nearly man-sized 11 year old boy, it seemed tiny.

DSCF6809_zpssiwckhkx.jpg

BATHROOM

The shower is rather nice.

DSCF6612_zpsfacijyjs.jpg

There's a raised bar so you can prop a foot up to help with leg-shaving.

DSCF6635_zpsfbuh8ja7.jpg

Speaking of shaving, if you're going to keep your shaver in there, put a washcloth in the tray so it doesn't fall through. As you can see, this room did have a shampoo dispenser in it, but we used our own products.

DSCF6634_zpsqmgpm0qc.jpg

There was SO much bathroom storage in here. One tall shelf unit, that I took many pictures of, and it was more than adequate for our needs and wants.

DSCF6613_zpskfkzsyxr.jpg

DSCF6632_zpsvfzk4bu7.jpg

DSCF6631_zpsktyiogkw.jpg

DSCF6837_zpsspwop0g6.jpg

DSCF6838_zpszeedit4y.jpg

DSCF6836_zpsjtye7nqr.jpg

Garbage and tissue.

DSCF6839_zpsyp7pvmk7.jpg

But the bottom cabinet is a psych-out. :)

DSCF6633_zps9ryw7tjn.jpg

I hope that helps!

Bonus picture!
The elevators nearby (right near the spa, which is upstairs from the fitness area), plus a kid who, in my opinion, can rock a suit and a hat.

DSCF6788_zps1xwfjmue.jpg

This is AWESOME! Thank you so much! We are 4 and booked this room, I can see how the bed would be an issue. On our Royal cruise earlier this year we had a grand suite, which had a sofa bed that pulled out into a pretty large bed. We also had a rollaway, which I might try to request for this room since I can't see how our kids can fit together in that bed unless there is another way they can fold it out!

It looks great though. We're doing a Med cruise and not planning on spending a lot of time in the room, but are excited for the great views that this offers when we're pulling into ports.

I think there has to be another way they can pull it out. Like maybe there are two mattresses and if there are two kids on it they pull out another base from inside the main base?

I actually thought it was for 3 until recently when I saw mention of bookings for 4 people.

I think there has to be another way they can pull it out. Like maybe there are two mattresses and if there are two kids on it they pull out another base from inside the main base?

I actually thought it was for 3 until recently when I saw mention of bookings for 4 people.

I'm sure there must be, otherwise there's no way they would sell it for 4. Actually, if we could fit a rollaway bed I'd be fine with the couch folding into a twin since I know the kids would prefer not to share.

Have you been in a regular Royal balcony room? How does this compare in size? It seemed a lot roomier which was why we sacrificed the balcony. With a cruise where we'll spend so much time off the ship, I preferred having the space inside so we could spread out a bit more.

I'm sure there must be, otherwise there's no way they would sell it for 4. Actually, if we could fit a rollaway bed I'd be fine with the couch folding into a twin since I know the kids would prefer not to share.

Have you been in a regular Royal balcony room? How does this compare in size? It seemed a lot roomier which was why we sacrificed the balcony. With a cruise where we'll spend so much time off the ship, I preferred having the space inside so we could spread out a bit more.

Weirdly, I haven't yet been in a normal + balcony room. :)

First royal cruise we were in an oceanview 7th deck Radiance. Next one we were in 1700, which is an aft balcony that's gigantic (1400 is the other side matching room) on Freedom (class). Next was a side-of-the-ship panoramic room on Vision. Then this. So I can't compare.

But it was pretty roomy, IMO. And the views...

When you're at the very front or very back, getting from point A to B can become interesting. You get really used to either walking outside on 12 or 11 to the other side, then on down, or going down to the promenade to get to the other side.

That was great, thanks!

Thanks!

I would be overjoyed if someone added a picture of the sofabed in freedom 1864 made up for two kids.

Extra overjoyed if they could tell me how it's done. :)

We were in the same cabin on Navigator in April. It was a really nice room. The were some drawbacks compared to 2 connecting interior rooms. The cabin really moved some nights being at the very front of the ship and up towards the top. You also only have 1 1/2 baths compared to 2 full baths so one less shower to get the family ready. Lastly there is next to no privacy between the main bedroom and the sofa area. The only thing in between is the wall for the televisions. It would have been nice to have a curtain between the 2 areas. The sofa bed has a trundle setup. So they pull out to make the sofa into a bed. Our oldest daughter slept on it most nights and was fine with it. With 2 in it, they will need to sleep across the bed instead of the normal head at the back of the sofa like most sofa beds. The reason being that the trundle section is a little lower so if you slept the normal way, you legs would be a little lower than the rest of your body.

Just wanted to say thank you for this detailed review! I am currently trying to book this room for a cruise next year and this really helped us decide! We will be putting 4 in this room (2 kids 9yo DD and 13 yo DS) so it will be a little cramped but not nearly as much as a regular room - and it’s just 4 days and so close to the open deck that I expect it will be easy for everyone to escape the space!

Glad this was recently bumped up! We have 1864 booked on the Mariner next year :) It looks amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!