Stay away from Camping World ?

Wonder05

Mouseketeer
I was noticing a lot of trailersare from Camping World. However, I've seen a couple reports that are really negative about Camping World.

Also , what can you tell me about the fridges that have been blowing up? It's on gas I think. But does that mean the split ones you need to be really careful or switch out? I'm not clear on this.

Thanks

We ended up buying from CW, but only because none of the local dealers had the trailer we wanted. Not really happy with the service, but happy with our trailer.

We ended up buying from CW, but only because none of the local dealers had the trailer we wanted. Not really happy with the service, but happy with our trailer.
I take it if you purchase from them your tied to them for service?

Shop there for supplies from time to time. Only ever shopped for a camper there once, which was in Robertsdale, AL during our recent trip to Gulf Shores. Horrible experience, no salesman ever approached us or offered information while we watched several other customers being toured around, some of them on golf carts.

Had to call back and give the sales manager a rearend chewing. I made up my mind then I wouldn't be back.

I posted on your other thread regarding the refrigerators so please check it out.

You will read lots of horror stories about CW on both the purchasing and service sides. I'm not sure if you read more because they are large and nationwide and an easier target or because they really are that bad across the board. I think service is also very store dependent. I'm on the Forest River forums and there is an entire section rating dealers and service departments. There are plenty of CW service negatives, but also a lot of praise.

As for camper prices, they seem high compared to other local dealers, but I have never tried negotiating for an actual purchase. I think you should go in educated on what it should cost and see how willing they are to get there. Supply prices are also high, but they seem to have better options and stock than most places. With the Good Sams discount, they are actually cheaper than other dealers around me, but not cheaper than you can find online, but that goes for any stick and mortar store.

j

Just my opinion have bought SOME items from them in the past and based on CEO's recent statements were it not for benefits of Good Sam membership they would not see another dollar from me

Just my opinion have bought SOME items from them in the past and based on CEO's recent statements were it not for benefits of Good Sam membership they would not see another dollar from me

Yeah, I agree with this. They are proud of their stuff.

As far as the CEO and his comments go, very bad timing.

I was noticing a lot of trailersare from Camping World. However, I've seen a couple reports that are really negative about Camping World
Thanks

Never purchased from CW, but we had great service in Kissimmee, FL when we had our 5th wheel - long story short - drove under a too low entrance at campground, tore off our AC (landed in truck bed). Took it to CW early next day. They located one - didn't have one stocked, installed it, (very reasonable price) and we were at FW in 4 hours!! We will always be thankful for them.

Would think it would depend upon the individual store/service how dependable they are in some areas.

I just posted this today in the Jaycoowners.com Forum:

I know there is quite a bit of displeasure with Camping World but, I got an interesting call today. We purchased our Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS June the 10th of this year from Camping World of Tallahassee, FL. Our initial walk through revealed zero issues with the unit. I did find some minor stuff when we got it home that I was able to take care of myself.

I got a call from the Service Manager today telling me that the parts were in for our FW ... Apparently, our sales rep saw some issues but never let us know about them. If he did, I just don't recall. Seems as if there is a scratch in the sink, a problem with one of the slide seals, a couple of scratches on the body of the unit, and an issue with the left rear leveler jack.

They are going to install a new sink, replace the left rear jack, replace a slide seal, and touch up some scratches on the FW.

Just thought I would share an unexpected surprise from a company that doesn't have the best reputation in the RV world.

Well, there ya go. Mine was bad, but Tripleb's was good. Backs up NoM on the whole depends on the store and the employees.

We don't have a Camping World near us (conveniently anyway). So my dealings were online. I too am a good sam member but it seems the Good Sam Discount is ONLY for the stores in person. In fact, the online prices represent the prices WITH the Good Sam Discount. So if you don't have a Good Sam Membership, you can still get Good Sam pricing at Camping world by buying Online.

All that being said, The items I was looking for (online) were found cheaper elsewhere and as such, I did not purchase from Camping World.

To TripleB, I cannot help to wonder... If you did not notice these things when you got your camper, perhaps their "Service" screwed up and those replacements were meant for ANOTHER customer with the same unit? Just can't help to wonder. :D

To TripleB, I cannot help to wonder... If you did not notice these things when you got your camper, perhaps their "Service" screwed up and those replacements were meant for ANOTHER customer with the same unit? Just can't help to wonder. :D

Yes, that was my exact thought until I verified with the Service Manager my VIN #.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah local ones reviews are all over the place. Like 5 stars and 1 stars taking up the entire rating.

Didn't even know of Good Sams.
Just noticed they seemed to have the most on the rvt.

CW is just freakishly expensive, IMO. DH has priced parts and 'doo-dads' at CW then gone on Amazon or Home Depot or Lowe's and found them at much lower cost.

As far as purchase and service, I think being tied to the dealer for warrantee work is pretty normal. The place we bought from ended up being as crooked as can be, but no other dealer would do our warrantee work because we hadn't bought through them. We were lucky in that the manufacturer worked with us to reimburse warrantee work done through an independent RV repair place. We know of at least 4 other couples who have had the same experience with different dealers. One has had to drive to another state for warrantee work because their local dealer refused to service them.

Once you're out of warrantee, any place that services RVs will be happy to take your money!

CW is just freakishly expensive, IMO. DH has priced parts and 'doo-dads' at CW then gone on Amazon or Home Depot or Lowe's and found them at much lower cost.

As far as purchase and service, I think being tied to the dealer for warrantee work is pretty normal. The place we bought from ended up being as crooked as can be, but no other dealer would do our warrantee work because we hadn't bought through them. We were lucky in that the manufacturer worked with us to reimburse warrantee work done through an independent RV repair place. We know of at least 4 other couples who have had the same experience with different dealers. One has had to drive to another state for warrantee work because their local dealer refused to service them.

Once you're out of warrantee, any place that services RVs will be happy to take your money!
Thanks everyone!

So, moral of the story is be sure to skip the extended warranty.

Yeah, I agree with this. They are proud of their stuff.

As far as the CEO and his comments go, very bad timing.

I have to agree. Just this week we ended the last of our business ties with CW/GS after the comments made by Mr. Lemonis. We canceled our insurance policy written though Good Sam (through National General) and moved it to SafeCo. We also canceled our Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance plan and went with Coach Net. Last thing we did was cancel our subscription to Motor Home magazine (a CW/GS publication). I couldn't convince them to refund our Good Sam Club lifetime membership we'd had for less than three months.

So, moral of the story is be sure to skip the extended warranty.

Actually Wonder05, although we purchased from Camping World and purchased the extended warranty (which is a Good Sam product), we have a local Independent RV repair place that is partnered with most of the extended warranty insurers including Good Sam. So, moral of story, you might check around with some independents concerning extended warranty service.

That being said, the local will not do any warranty work (usually first year on campers, two years on our Jayco FW) but will be glad to work on it when the extended warranty "kicks in".

not sure if you read more because they are large and nationwide and an easier target or because they really are that bad across the board

1) Our experience and opinions from those we trust say the entire outfit is this way.
2) They have gotten just too big to care about the individual customer - unless it is to be able to charge more for repairs or repair parts.
3) One person even asked if they had a Manager Training Class on how to mistreat customers.

We purchased a trailer from CW some time ago. Their price was easliy the lowest when compared to many other dealers over a large area.
Their service is another matter entirely! Horrible to put it mildly. Our most recent encounter was so bad, we will never return. Our Class A RV was not ready as promised (they had it for a month for very simple repairs: missing spring clip on window screen, replace water filter, and check the levelers as we were getting a "needs service" message). No one would answer our calls - from the service rep, to the service manager, to the GM. We finally just left a message that we were coming to pick it up (a week late). The water filter was still "on order", the screen clip was repaired because we insisted they take one from a new unit on the lot, the levelers were still showing an error code when we pulled out, after paying the bill. Our invoice showed a $150 diagnostic charge for the levelers, we were charged for the water filter (which they said they'd ship) and everything had an additional service fee of 17-18% on all charges for "misc. and shop supplies". After returning home we made numerous attemps to resolve the issues directly with CW management, they never returned our calls. We finally wrote an e-mail to CW headquarters complete with photos. The next day the General Manager of our local CW called us. He apologized profusely and agreed to refund our charges for the leveler diagnostic and the water filter. That was over a month ago and, you guessed it, we've never received payment.
It is disappointing that they are associated with Good Sam, an organization that has a history of providing good resources for campers. I would expect more!

Well, apparently here they have received that same training.

My dad and for me that and my mom there already and the guy was on him like a vulture. He had to make up an excuse so he finally let him leave! So no way in heck are we going there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter