Stay on or off Prop family of 6

My only concern with off site is that it is much harder to split up. On site I would have no problem letting 2 14 year olds go off on their own. I wouldn't do so staying off site.

If a hot tub is a priority I would look at a Fort Wilderness Cabin. Otherwise I would go with 2 value rooms. Could you fit in a water park day to take care of the need for water slides?

We have done both and prefer offsite. To be fair, we have five kids and like to be able to cook/prepare food easily as we don't typically eat out everyday. I know some people say they are on vacation and don't want to have to cook, and I totally get that-but we aren't cooking big meals and like having a full sized fridge for yogurt and cheese and drinks etc. Plus a freezer for popsicles, frozen lemonade and ice. We typically take our lunches to the park and eat breakfast before we go-it isn't just about cost (but that is of course a factor)-my kids can't eat theme park QS every day and not be disasters-they need more variety and easy access to snacks. We use food purchases at the parks for 'treats'.

Also, we really like being able to put kids to bed and hang out as adults. Or if someone needs some space to their own, they can find that. A short stay onsite would be good, but we typically go for longer so prefer having the conveniences that come with a house.

So you're a family of 65 with 2 parents, 2 teen boys, and 2 teen girls?

The solution is so easy:
Rent a minivan.
Stay off-site in a house or condo that has at least 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Parents, boys, and girls each have their own bathroom.

Real quick math: Cost of a suite is $3430 plus tickets at around $3100 plus food plus travel costs. Tickets would be $2600 if done without hoppers.

Cost of a house, offsite is less than $2000 plus tickets at around $3100 plus food and travel costs. That's at least a $1500 difference. Sure, you'll have to rent a car, but a minivan can be had for less than $400, even when you include gas and Disney park parking.

Saving $1000 covers a ton of the food bill. Keep in mind that by staying off site, you can eat cheap breakfast in your own kitchen before you leave, and bring your own snacks into the parks.

Offsite for sure. We are a family of 6 (younger kids but still). Both AoA and the Cabins at Ft Wilderness are just not enough room for us.

We have rented via VRBO at Bonnet Creek and at Regal Palms and liked both. Plenty of space, great pools with slides, enjoy having a kitchen and washer dryer, and we of course rent a minivan.

We are here now and got a house this time at Emerald Island and this has been our favorite.... but I think it may be an "age of our kids thing". This house has its own pool (small but enough) with attached hot tub. We also have the MOST amazing game room in our garage. Our kids aren't bored at all ever when we aren't in a park. This vacation they keep requesting to NOT go anywhere and just spend time at our Home-n-tel as my kids call it LOL.

Offsite for sure. We are a family of 6 (younger kids but still). Both AoA and the Cabins at Ft Wilderness are just not enough room for us.

We have rented via VRBO at Bonnet Creek and at Regal Palms and liked both. Plenty of space, great pools with slides, enjoy having a kitchen and washer dryer, and we of course rent a minivan.

We are here now and got a house this time at Emerald Island and this has been our favorite.... but I think it may be an "age of our kids thing". This house has its own pool (small but enough) with attached hot tub. We also have the MOST amazing game room in our garage. Our kids aren't bored at all ever when we aren't in a park. This vacation they keep requesting to NOT go anywhere and just spend time at our Home-n-tel as my kids call it LOL.
If you like Emerald Island, you'd LOVE Windsor Hills. The location is better, homes are a bit nicer and more spread out, and the amenities are far better as well. Just something to consider for future trips :)

For the ease of splitting up, and that you have one child over 18, I'd also look into two rooms at a value resort (Pop has queen beds now, so I'd go with that). You can request connecting rooms as your only request, but even if you don't get them, you have one child who is an adult. That way you'd have 4 real beds and 2 bathrooms, and the bus service is convenient so no one has to drive. The kids can come and go more easily with or without you.

For a first trip, the convenience of on site really will make the trip more enjoyable.

I would NOT do a family suite, as there is one "real" bed, then the others are sofa sleeper and chair sleeper type things, with all 4 kids in one room. Too cramped for me, when for the same price you can just book two rooms.

You could also look into the Swan or Dolphin - they are in a great location, walk to Epcot or HS. Deluxe resorts but much less $$ than Disney ones (and much nicer too). You would lose a few perks (mo Magical Express, no Magic Bands) but gain a much nicer resort experience. Of course you'd need two rooms there too, but they often have specials where the second room is discounted for families (we did that years ago, as even with just 2 kids I won't share a hotel room all 4 of us).

We are planning a trip for the second week of December and we are a family of 6, DS is 18, DS is 16, and two DD that are 14. We have never been to Disney. Looking online at the hotels we can get a suite at AoA for $490 a night that sleeps 6. Wondering if we would be cramped in this room? The deluxe hotels seem to be very expensive for our group size. Wondering if the AoA would be over the top decorated for our group? Also, my teenagers love hot tubs and water slides and I see they don't have them offered at AoA. Wondering if we should stay off site? We wanted to do the dining experience. After looking on the other thread about the hotels I'm a little nervous staying here since everyone said it was noisy, food court was not very well kept, rooms small, etc. Looking for some insight since we are new to all this.
We are DVC members, family of 6 (4 of us over 18) but LOVE AoA - it’s fine space wise, but not roomy. We love the theming and pool. Landscapes of Flavor is nice if you’re a food court kinda family (we are). Arcade great for the little one. IMO, best option on property besides a two bed DVC villa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!