Stay Play Dine 2017 Calculation Thread

Does anyone remember the dates for the SPD in the past? Has it been offered the first week of January?

Does anyone remember the dates for the SPD in the past? Has it been offered the first week of January?
Last Year's Promotion:

Play, stay, dine and save! Package includes a well-appointed room at one of the Disney resort hotels, theme park tickets and a Disney Dining Plan (for moderate, deluxe and deluxe villa stays) or Quick Service Dining Plan (for value stays). This special offer is valid for stays most nights from January 1 through March 7, 2017 and must be booked by December 21, 2016.

Promotion Restrictions
  • Excludes alcoholic beverages and gratuities.
  • Children ages 3 to 9 must choose from the children’s menu, if available.
  • Cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion.
  • Offer excludes campsites, 3-bedroom villas, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – The Little Mermaid Standard Rooms and Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.

So, for play, stay and dine you only get the quick service dining plan if you stay at a value resort?

So, for play, stay and dine you only get the quick service dining plan if you stay at a value resort?
That is correct. Also, I have my concerns that this year you may only get quick service with moderates too. I have NO inside information on that one. I'm purely basing that assumption on the change made to free dining this year. If that change occurs it will be a VERY negative change to Play, Stay and Dine.

That is correct. Also, I have my concerns that this year you may only get quick service with moderates too. I have NO inside information on that one. I'm purely basing that assumption on the change made to free dining this year. If that change occurs it will be a VERY negative change to Play, Stay and Dine.

Yes. I was assuming the same thing for the dining plan at moderates. It would definitely make me think again about getting SPD. The cost of upgrading to the regular dining plan may not be worth it.

Yes. I was assuming the same thing for the dining plan at moderates. It would definitely make me think again about getting SPD. The cost of upgrading to the regular dining plan may not be worth it.
Same. I've been keeping an eye out for this (it's usually released in September but it doesn't hurt to check haha) but with the bounce back making the moderates have the quick service plan, I don't know if I can talk my husband into it.

We just booked our trip for next year, and hoping to get some kind of discount with the Stay, Play and Dine offer. Anything would help, really, even if its just the quick service. So watching for the offer, and will call to have it applied. So excited!

Hi! I hope you can help me with this, we're travelling in January and, so far, we'll camp at FW. Now, if we can get the spd we could consider moving to one of the all stars.
I searched but I couldn't find any way to calculate which would the discount be. Do yo have any idea of how can I do it?
It's 5 nighs, 3 adults, 2 rooms @ a value.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi! I hope you can help me with this, we're travelling in January and, so far, we'll camp at FW. Now, if we can get the spd we could consider moving to one of the all stars.
I searched but I couldn't find any way to calculate which would the discount be. Do yo have any idea of how can I do it?
Post 1 in this thread shows how the discount calculated out for 2015, 2016 & 2017. Did you look at that?

Post 1 in this thread shows how the discount calculated out for 2015, 2016 & 2017. Did you look at that?

I did, but since the family in the example was 2 adults and 2 kids I thought the discount may be applied differently in our case. I'll calculate the 40% then, and wait to see if the offer appears.

I did, but since the family in the example was 2 adults and 2 kids I thought the discount may be applied differently in our case. I'll calculate the 40% then, and wait to see if the offer appears.
A few comments in your situation:
1) Unfortunately the discount amount has progressively gotten worse over the years so it may not even be 40% this year.
2) The cost of the dining plans continues to increase which makes it harder to see value in it (even at 40% off)
3) With 2 people in 1 room and 1 person in another room, this discount is not going to be very good for you. This discount works best with 4 or 5 people in a room. You could potentially save more money by registering for 3 people in one room using the StayPlayDine and then purchase the second room with a room only discount (you'd want to think that one through with the names and such as I'm not sure the same person can be on two rooms so that one person may need to use a slightly different name (nickname?)

Good Luck, although I hesitate to make an absolutely recommendation, your travel party and room setup seems unlikely to benefit from this deal.

A few comments in your situation:
1) Unfortunately the discount amount has progressively gotten worse over the years so it may not even be 40% this year.
2) The cost of the dining plans continues to increase which makes it harder to see value in it (even at 40% off)
3) With 2 people in 1 room and 1 person in another room, this discount is not going to be very good for you. This discount works best with 4 or 5 people in a room. You could potentially save more money by registering for 3 people in one room using the StayPlayDine and then purchase the second room with a room only discount (you'd want to think that one through with the names and such as I'm not sure the same person can be on two rooms so that one person may need to use a slightly different name (nickname?)

Good Luck, although I hesitate to make an absolutely recommendation, your travel party and room setup seems unlikely to benefit from this deal.

Thanks for your advice!!! We may try the separate rooms option, and if the offer is not convenient for us, we'll go back to the original plan that is camping @ FW.
Thanks again for your help!

When does the offer usually come out?
2017 Travel - released 9/28/16 VISA, released 9/30/16 PUBLIC
2016 Travel - released 9/24/15 VISA, released 9/28/15 PUBLIC
2015 Travel - released 10/6/14 VISA, released 10/9/14 PUBLIC
2014 Travel - released 10/3/13 VISA, released 10/7/13 PUBLIC
2013 Travel - released 10/4/12 VISA, released 10/10/12 PUBLIC

And just to add info here for those that stumble across this post, 2011 & 2012 were the last 2 years where Free Dining was offered during Jan/Feb/Mar. For 2013 and onward it's been Stay, Play & Dine. There's often rumors each year that free dining is coming, and then it ends up being StayPlayDine so if you hear that rumor again, take it with a grain of salt.

Yes, Disney is phasing out many things. They have had the Savory Summer offer the last few years, which is just the quick service. But, I'd be happy with the play, stay and dine...it adds up for a big family.

Is there also the chance of a room only discount? After doing math for SP&D I think we might be better off with room only now that our kids are disney adults.

Is there also the chance of a room only discount? After doing math for SP&D I think we might be better off with room only now that our kids are disney adults.
There has always been an accompanying room only discount during this period. I don't publish any of those details here as the calculation on that is very straightforward. If the SPD deal's value continues to decline I would imagine many people will be in your boat of going to room only.

We are booked for 11 days in January. Since we had to cancel our trip due to hurricane Irma we moved the paid funds to the trip in January. If they come out with play, stay, dine and it turns out to be a better deal than the discount I got, what happens to the money. If the amount is less than I paid would Disney refund the money to my credit card?

Still patiently waiting for the December offers to conclude. Fingers crossed for some kind of discount.

SouthFayetteFan, I am really not familiar with this promotion at all as in the past we have really just used room only discounts. A previous post from you said it works best with 4-5 in the room, which makes sense. We will have 2 adults going in Jan. We are staying at whichever value resort gives us the cheapest rate. We wanted the dining plan (not quick service and not deluxe). Obviously you don't yet know the details of this promotion if it's going to be offered, but if you guessed, do you think it would be something I should consider? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter