Stay Play Dine 2019 Calculation Thread

Just saying a big thank you to SouthFayetteFan! Your similar post last year helped me tremendously! And while we are not able to go for SPD this year, I am hoping to get back on it in a couple more. Assuming it still exists once Star Wars: GE opens.

Just saying a big thank you to SouthFayetteFan! Your similar post last year helped me tremendously! And while we are not able to go for SPD this year, I am hoping to get back on it in a couple more. Assuming it still exists once Star Wars: GE opens.
Thank you for the kind words!

Thank you soooo much for all of your hard work on this! I now see that a new Military discount is also coming out right at this moment. I know I need to do the math when I can find out all the details, but in your opinion, what would be the best savings - book the room with a military discount, and add on the dining plan, or book the SPD with the dining discount?

Thank you soooo much for all of your hard work on this! I now see that a new Military discount is also coming out right at this moment. I know I need to do the math when I can find out all the details, but in your opinion, what would be the best savings - book the room with a military discount, and add on the dining plan, or book the SPD with the dining discount?
Oh gosh, testing my abilities...LOL!

What resort & dates, what's the travel party (# of Adults/Kids & Ages)?

Jan 18 - 23 - 2 Adults and 1 Jr, 1 Child in one room, and just 2 adults in the other room, Either All Star Movies, or Coronado Springs, and want the regular dining plan. Will buy military 5 day hopper tickets thru Shades of Green. Thank you for helping me out!

Jan 18 - 23 - 2 Adults and 1 Jr, 1 Child in one room, and just 2 adults in the other room, Either All Star Movies, or Coronado Springs, and want the regular dining plan. Will buy military 5 day hopper tickets thru Shades of Green. Thank you for helping me out!
Ok - here's some idea of what you're thinking:

1) If you stay at All Star Movies - the PSD deal will save you ~$114 per night across both rooms (~$570 total)
2) If you stay at Coronado - the PSD deal will save you ~$182 per night across both rooms (~$910 total) Your room rate will also be higher at Coronado of course.

If you can generate a Room Only and Ticket Savings that exceed those numbers above - it's a better deal.

If you had a Disney Visa you could probable score room savings at CSR of ~$345 x2 = ~$690. You'd still need to see ticket savings of $220 to make this plan better than PSD. The Disney Visa is offering an additional 10% discount. That discount isn't good at Movies but does work at Sports or Music if you'd make a switch. If you don't have a Disney Visa you could book on the public offer.

I won't go into the math on the value resort but you probably can see how the concept works now. Since you are SET on buying the regular dining plan that TYPICALLY swings in favor of the Play Stay Dine. Good Luck!

I just want to say THANK YOU for sharing this link!! I had called yesterday and was quoted a different (higher) rate over the phone. I just clicked on the link you shared and found the same reservation cheaper! I booked it!!! :flower1::thanks:
Awesome! You are so right...Calling and trying to use the Visa discount is so hard - you have no idea what they're looking at! If you get a bad CM they could give you totally wrong info! Congrats on finding what you wanted!!

I was able to change my booking to a split stay to get asmovies for spd! Booked 1-6th with spd package and 6-7th of february as room only with room promo. They didnt have 1-7th available at this resort. And actually saved me money because we didnt need dining credits the last day they would have been used in the front part of the stay and we wont go hungry. :). Thanks for this thread very helpful!

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? After room and tickets it would cost an additional $921.52 for the DDP with Stay, Play, Dine. We will be there for 5 nights, 5 full days (arrive late the first night). Is the DDP worth it? The site doesn’t tell me exactly how many meal credits, snack credits, etc. that we would get. It will be me and 4 kids (12, 10, 8, 6) and we plan to do one TS meal per day and the rest QS and snacks. TY!

I assume you are getting regular dining. If that is the case, you would get 15 adult TS credits and 10 child TS credits, 25 quick service and 50 snacks and 5 resort mugs.

You would have to eat for less than $39 per person, per night to save more than what PSD is offering. Considering most entrees for the table-service credits are over $25 alone, it would seem to me the PSD package would be a great savings for you.

I hope that helps.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? After room and tickets it would cost an additional $921.52 for the DDP with Stay, Play, Dine. We will be there for 5 nights, 5 full days (arrive late the first night). Is the DDP worth it? The site doesn’t tell me exactly how many meal credits, snack credits, etc. that we would get. It will be me and 4 kids (12, 10, 8, 6) and we plan to do one TS meal per day and the rest QS and snacks. TY!
You can use a dining calculator from google to see if it’s worth it. That’s what we always do.

Wonderful, TY both so much! When it is laid out like that then definitely a good deal! We are staying at a Mod so the DDP is included in SPD. I cancelled our room only and rebooked SPD! So excited!

Last edited:
Someone mentioned you can do a room and dining package, is that over the phone? I didn't see a way to do it on the website??

Someone mentioned you can do a room and dining package, is that over the phone? I didn't see a way to do it on the website??
This is possible - I believe you have to call in to book that. You should be able to take advantage of the Room Only discount and then add dining (without tickets).

Can you math experts explain why I'm not seeing any discount? I currently have Jan 26 to Frb 3 booked at POR garden view room for $1901.16 and a 5 day Canadian resident ticket for 2 adult and a 9 year old for $1036.26 for a grand total of $2937.52.
When I plug in PSD (and called) they quoted me $4164.11. So paying an extra $1,226.59 for dining which full cost would be $1431.68. How is that 45% savings? Its driving me a little batty trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Can you match experts explain why I'm not seeing any discount? I currently have Jan 26 to Frb 3 booked at POR garden view room for $1901.16 and a 5 day Canadian resident ticket for 2 adult and a 9 year old for $1036.26 for a grand total of $2937.52.
When I plug in PSD (and called) they quoted me $4164.11. So paying an extra $1,226.59 for dining which full cost would be $1431.68. How is that 45% savings? Its driving me a little batty trying to figure it out.
I'll try to dissect this for you - the short answer is, you aren't starting from the right point:
1) Jan 26th - Feb 3rd; POR Garden View is either $2,022 (regular) or $2,130 (5th sleeper) so I'm not sure where the rate of $1,901.16 comes from (is that potentially on some Canadian Discount?). That rate is lower than the Standard View rack rate for those dates so it's discounted somehow. The Stay Play Dine will be at the rack rate for the room category booked (no discount).
2) Your Park tickets of $1,036.26 are using some sort of Canadian Discount - you will give that up if you move to Stay Play Dine and you pay $1,240.74 for tickets (no discount).
3) Your expected Dining Cost of $1,431.68 is roughly what I see on the Disney Website - actual cost I see is $1,431.63.

Your Price Breakdown on the PSD deal is as follows:
  • ROOM = Garden View (5th sleeper) @ $2,131.89
  • TICKETS = non-discounted 5 day base @ $1,240.74
  • A Small cost that is added when you purchase a Disney Package = ~$4.08
  • DINING = 45% OFF Dining Plan @ $787.40
  • TOTAL COST = 4,164.11
The reason it appears like you are not saving as much as expected is that your tickets (and apparently your room) were already discounted. You have to pay the non-discounted rate on Tickets and Room and then you are saving 45% off dining. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much SouthFayetteFan! I feel so much better knowing that I'm not "missing out" on a better deal. We don't need dining but I guess I'm always trying to recapture the amazingness of our 2009 visit when we got free dining. Excellent work on figuring out all the discounts for us!

Thanks so much SouthFayetteFan! I feel so much better knowing that I'm not "missing out" on a better deal. We don't need dining but I guess I'm always trying to recapture the amazingness of our 2009 visit when we got free dining. Excellent work on figuring out all the discounts for us!
You’re welcome :)
You almost had me stumped LOL! This was a pretty difficult one. That Canadian discount you have is pretty good!

I'm seeing the same thing - 40% off Quick Service dining for Value resorts and 45% off regular Dining for Moderate/Deluxe resorts. I've only looked at a handful of sample bookings, but it's been consistent so far.

And to be clear - you don't get any extra discount if you upgrade dining. So folks staying in Value resorts get $21 per adult per day and $9.51 per child per day off their package, no matter which of the dining plans they choose. And those in Mods/Deluxe get $33.97 per adult per day and $12.87 per child per day off their package, whether they choose regular or deluxe dining plans.

Your math is spot on for value resorts! I just checked (we upgraded to the standard plan) so I did a package exactly like ours with no discounts and subtracted out the discount you put and its the same we paid.

We wound up saving a small amount (about 150) compared to our previous package which was discounted room and tickets but not on dining. When we compare our previous package without the dining plan but with what we had set aside for food it was only $90 more. Can someone check my math though and tell me if we really came out ahead?

Standard dining plan, pop century standard view 2 adults, 2 kids ages 4 and 12. 5 day park tickets base
Original package our room was $999 and tickets were 1450.08

Stay play dine all the same but with dining plan 4364.16 (with an upgrade to standard plan)

We planned character meals before the dining plan

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter