Staying Off Property and FP/Dining Ressies

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
How much of a disadvantage is it staying off property vs on with the loss of 180 day out dining reservations and 60 day out FP booking? Has anyone experienced both and could share how it impacted their planning? My family has a lot of points for Hilton hotels and are thinking of using them in late June 2018 for another trip by staying at Hilton Disney Springs or Hilton Bonnet Creek.

I have done both and it's only a big disadvantage for the super popular ADRs and FPs. At 180 days it will be really tough to get BOG or CRT, for example. Also, FP for SDMT, FEA, and FOP will be nearly impossible at 30 days. Other than those big hitters you shouldn't have much trouble.

everyone can make dining reservations at 180 days mark, fast passes are still available for same day for lots of rides and characters meeting, I suggest to do rope drope for the popular rides, it isn't that bad to be offsite if you get there early and are ok with some improvised planning as you go to accommodate the fastpasses you could get. Have a great trip!

Onsite guests can do 180+10, so they do get an advantage
yes they do, but when offsite is your way to do Disney, 180 days still pretty good and most people don't know is available for anyone, some are under the impression that it's solely for onsite guests

Depends on time of year. We recently stayed on property but shifted plans a little mid-week. We were able to get SDMT a day or two before and I also saw FEA available as well. We also dropped FOP, so someone got FOP the day before - I assume we made someone's day!

We haven't really had any problems at 30 days on our off property trips. FOP would be the big one right now, but you can always rope-drop it (which we did on our recent trip...actually I preferred that since you get to go through the whole queue and not just the more-boring FP queue).

Frequent off-siter here, and we've never had an issue getting our choices for BOG, Ohana or Rose and Crown for Illuminations. This is over several trips both Spring and Fall. (Spring being our favored and more frequent time to go) we've also gotten FP for SDMT and other biggies (SM, Splash, Soarin, TSMWM, PP, TT,) with no issues at 30 days out. Can't speak for FOP since it opened after our last trip, but I've seen reports of on-siters having trouble at 60 days because it's so new. FEA we had FP as on-siters, but never tried as offsite and honestly we didn't like it enough to ride again.

A lot depends on the time of year you're going. I know Fall has gotten a lot busier the past few years and the Holidays are busy. Rope drop is your friend if there's something you really want to ride and can't get a FP for. And people dump extra dining reservations before they get charged the cancellation fee so you should check MDE for last minute reservations if there's a restaurant you can't get.

We stay off all the time and I don't feel that much disadvantage.

If picking WBC Hilton vs DS Hilton, hands down BC ... the newest one to one of the oldest ones.

Does the Waldorf take Hilton points?a

Yes but it takes alot more than other hotels.

We're staying offsite for our thanksgiving trip this year and were able to, with the help of the reservation finder offered by touringplans.com, able to get all the adrs we wanted. And we're a party of 11. I had to split up the reservation parties but the times are close so it should work out . Don't know about FP yet since my time period isn't up yet but I'm hopeful!

We've stayed offsite the last few trips and have not had much trouble getting the ADR's we wanted. A few I've had to watch for and some I've gotten or switched at the last minute, but no complaints there.

The FP can be tougher for the big stuff, but not a dealbreaker. My kids are small and don't/can't do some of the big rides, so I'm probably not the best source of info for those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter